Asghar Farhadi's The Salesman, in Theaters Now

Tools    

I have not seen this yet, but I plan to very soon. I loved A Separation, and The Salesman looks to deliver the same intense interpersonal drama at hyper-real stress-filled atmospheric tension; Iranian film-making at it's finest.

It has won Cannes' awards for Best Actor (Shahab Hosseini) and Best Screenplay (Farhadi). Written and directed by Farhadi, it looks like it has the potential to be a masterpiece. Maybe that's a bit premature of me, judging only from the trailer and awards, but I am extremely excited to see it.

Welcome to the human race...
I caught a festival screening last year. It's definitely good.

I watched it, and it was superb. Farhadi has really improved upon his technique since A Separation. I haven't seen The Past though, so I don't know how his work has changed from that. A Separation came out in 2011, and The Past in 2013. The Salesman was extremely realistic. The way that characters talked and behaved had incredible attention to detail and a natural feel. The way that people argued, background noise, mannerisms, and portrayal of emotion were all handled masterfully. The plot was fantastic, complex, and always keeping the audience guessing. From start to finish you never know where he's going to go with anything, and the places he choose to go were always interesting. With everything going on in the movie no plot hook was ever dealt with on it's own, they were all layered and mingled with an intricate web of other plots. There was that incredible feeling of real life where when you focus on something that you'll do over a stretched out period of time you also have to deal with everything else in life that comes up. The movie felt like borderline hyper realism. I rate it