News on upcoming M. Night film (Don't click if you haven't seen Split)

Tools    

I haven't seen Split yet and though I haven't read the full article, I read enough now to pretty much know the gist of the twist ending. Damn me and my curiosity. So, according to said article, Split is directly connected to the Unbreakable universe. M. Night is going forward it seems with Unbreakable 2 and the two films will (or may) be connected. Also, It seems Bruce Willis is on board.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/split-movie-ending-explained-unbreakable-2-bruce-willis-planned-966669

Split was essentially a Super Villain origin story in disguise which is genius in my opinion I liked the reveal at the end. Before it even shows Bruce Willis and the people say "Who was that guy that got locked up 15 years ago?" I started getting suspicious then Bruce Willis appears and I'm like "Oh ****." Some people pointed out the Unbreakable theme song plays during Beast's ending mirror scene and that is where they got it before Bruce Willis even appears. Even without the reveal at the end I liked the movie but that reveal makes it even better.

Don't know if anybody else realized that Kevin (Beast) puts down flowers by a train track and David was caught in a train crash in Unbreakable that Mr. Glass set up to find others with special abilities. Guarantee Kevin's father died in this train crash which led to the abuse he suffered from his mother which led to him suffering from dissociative identity disorder. Which means one villain in this universe accidentally created another one which is brilliant.

This may be nothing...
But does anyone else remember Patton Oswalt pitching his Unbreakable 2 dream sequel on Screen Junkies and Twitter, and M. Night actually responded wanting to collab on it. Possible they had talked?

Link to full story
http://movieweb.com/unbreakable-2-3-...alt-shyamalan/

My review for Split is on my review thread if anyone is interested as well.

With the box office results so far, it's hard to see a sequel not happening. The budget might be a concern though, since it'll be a superhero movie, and Unbreakable was a pretty expensive movie to make. I think the reason studios have been willing to gamble on Shyamalan as of late is because he's been making them so cheap. I guess we'll see when it's run is over where the money is at. I really hope so, Unbreakable is my favorite movie of his, and Split was pretty solid, too.

WARNING: "Split" spoilers below
Just watched Unbreakable and Split back to back. Really looking forward to part 3.
Also on Sunday last watched Season 2 of Fortitude all 10 episodes in one sitting. Highly recommended if you like your noir dark and bloody.

David Dunn on board. The hoard on board. In my opinion the greatest origins story to hit cinema yet. ....emmmm unless he shayamalans it.

I knew it was coming...now, it's official

https://www.yahoo.com/movies/m-night...162720397.html

M. Night Shyamalan has unveiled a sequel to his films “Split” and “Unbreakable,” called “Glass,” which will conclude the movie trilogy.
The film stars Bruce Willis, Samuel L. Jackson, James McAvoy, and Anya Taylor-Joy.

Universal Pictures and Blumhouse are producing and the film, which will be released on Jan. 18, 2019.
Shyamalan announced the news on Wednesday in a series of tweets.
My new film is the sequel to #Unbreakable AND #Split. It was always my dream to have both films collide in this third film.
— M. Night Shyamalan (@MNightShyamalan)

The title of the new film appears to be derived from Samuel L. Jackson’s Elijah Price character in “Unbreakable” — also known by his pseudonym Mr. Glass. Willis also returns as the David Dunn character from “Unbreakable.”

McAvoy is reprising his “Split” role as Kevin Wendell Crumb and the multiple identities including The Beast who reside within along with Anya Taylor-Joy as Casey Cooke, whose character survives in the film.
The story of “Glass” will follow the conclusion of “Split” with Dunn pursuing Macavoy’s The Beast in “a series of escalating encounters, while the shadowy presence of Price emerges as an orchestrator who holds secrets critical to both men.”

Producers are Shyamalan and Jason Blum, who also produced the writer/director’s previous two films for Universal. They produce again with Ashwin Rajan and Marc Bienstock, and Steven Schneider, who will executive produce.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

That elusive hide-and-seek cow is at it again
huh...
I'm not sure what to think. I've been disappointed with most of his work so I've not seen Split. I think I will now because of this news, but the cynic in me wonders if this was really "always his dream" or if it's just another market gimmick to tie things back to what was IMO his last decent film to boost his brand.

Oh! of course I meant to do that....

Anyone got any reference to him commenting or alluding to such a long game since Unbreakable? I don't follow him at all so no clue here.

I found freedom. Losing all hope was freedom.
I am really looking forward to this! I just saw Split a few days ago, it wasn't as great as Shyamalan's masterful Unbreakable, but James McAvoy's performance was undeniably incredible. I hope it'll maintain the style of the 2 films, especially Unbreakable.

I'm looking forward to it as well. I'll tell you, Blumhouse has been on a roll lately.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I haven't seen Split... so it's a sequel to Unbreakable?
I saw Unbreakable but dont remember it. I didnt realise Split was a sequel.
Looking forward to seeing these three actors together, though.

So psyched. As I mentioned in this post, I'll be mad for a pretty long time that I didn't get to enjoy the reveal of Split the way it was meant to be enjoyed. Would've completely knocked me on my ass. What a fun, clever way to do a sequel. Even having had that spoiled, though, it was a good movie and I'm ridiculously excited about the next one.

I pretty much hate seeing movies in theaters these days and only make a few exceptions a year...but this will definitely be one of them.

To be honest, I had completely forgotten about unbreakable when I saw this movie and the ending left me a little confused. I'm rewatching Unbreakable now .

You can't win an argument just by being right!
To be honest, I had completely forgotten about unbreakable when I saw this movie and the ending left me a little confused. I'm rewatching Unbreakable now .
Probably why I don't remember it. Maybe I just didn't get the end.

Going to be real interesting to see how M. Night tackles this, it's esstentialy The Beast vs Bruce Willis. Does he go the norm of making them fight or something else?