Movie Club ........ The Castle

→ in
Tools    

Hope people liked the movie?

I will post my idea's soon but have to go out again, ran home to start the thread, ok go ahead I am interested in getting other peoples view's.

The Nebbit

I must become Caligari..!
The Castle

I loved the movie one of my all time favourites, The people from Working Dog Productions A.K.A D-Genreation (The Dish, “Funky Squad”, “The Panel”, “The Late Show” and “Frontline”) did a excellent job.

Full of Aussie pop culture, Fantastic Character and a Bunch of great lines I don’t know how many times my dad has told me to “Tell’em He’s Dreamen” . Great acting from most of the cast especially Stephen Curry, Michael Caton, and “Our” Eric Banna"24 Hours A DAY" .
School Grade: A

It's a god-awful small affair, To the girl with, the mousy hair, But her mummy is yelling "No", and her daddy has told her to go, But her friend is nowhere to be seen, Now she walks through her sunken dream, To the seat with the clearest view, And she's hooked to the silver screen, But the film is a saddening bore, For she's lived it ten times or more...

It was beauty killed the beast.
This was the second time Kong had seen The Castle and once again it was an enjoyable little film.

There are aspects of this that Kong likes a lot, and some other aspects Kong doesn't. Kong generally doesn't like it when movies make fun of how stupid their characters are, and The Castle does this quite bit, but luckily it also makes them rather wholesome, and happy. They may not be bright, but it sure seems like they figured out the key to happiness. There are also some jokes and set ups that become overused. For instance a lot of times the narrator will say a line and then the line will be repeated by another character for humorous effect (I.E. - Voice over narration "Dad couldn't find his glasses." / Dad "Where are my glasses?") but this got to be a bit old after the 30th time. Once again though, the film makes up for this by saving the best laughs for the end of the film.

Another good thing about the film is its themes. Although not a particularly deep film, it certainly has some things to say about family, home, and the battle of corporate vs. little guy (imperialist vs. indigenous).

The Castle isn't so much a bellylaugh type of type of a film, but rather one of those movies you watch with a constant smile on your face.

*** of ****

Mother! Oh, God! Mother! Blood!
My wife watched this film with me, and we both enjoyed it very much. It was simple humor from simple minded characters. I'm not an Aussie, so some things may have been pop culture jokes that went by me without my understanding, but for the most part it was a very enjoyable film.

Kong thought there was some humor that was overused. I didn't mind the repetitive jokes. I especially liked the way the father got excited about the simple meals his wife cooked for the family. Despite its humor, the joke showed the father's love and appreciation for his wife's home cooking. Kong recognized this when he wrote, "...it also makes them rather wholesome and happy." I think this was the key to the entire film. This family, no matter how stupid they may have been, became very likeable. I was rooting for them the entire way. If their stupidity had led to poor choices, I would have been laughing at their downfall. Instead, I felt good when the lawyer specializing in Constitutional law took their case. I loved how a special bond and friendship was established between the father and the lawyer as we see that they became fishing buddies, etc.

Here's one of my favorite lines, although I don't know what it meant:

The son (narrator) walks up to his father and says, "I just dug a hole in the backyard. Filled it up with water."

I thought it was funny because I remember digging holes for no reason and filling them with water as a kid. For me, it seemed like this was to show the simple mindedness of the family. Was there another purpose for that line? Did I miss something? Is this an Aussie joke?

By the way, Eric Bana seems to be hitting it big (Black Hawk Down, The Hulk, Finding Nemo, and next year's Troy). You Aussie's need to give us a little more background on him. From my understanding, he was a comedian?

Great pick, Nebbit! That was a lot of fun!
NEW (as of 1/24/05): Quick Reviews #10

It was beauty killed the beast.
Originally Posted by Mark
Here's one of my favorite lines, although I don't know what it meant:

The son (narrator) walks up to his father and says, "I just dug a hole in the backyard. Filled it up with water."
Kong thought he said, "I just dug a hole in the backyard. It filled up with water." Meaning that grounwater filled it up. Kong already returned the disc so he check to see which way it is.

I must become Caligari..!
Originally Posted by Mark
By the way, Eric Bana seems to be hitting it big (Black Hawk Down, The Hulk, Finding Nemo, and next year's Troy). You Aussie's need to give us a little more background on him. From my understanding, he was a comedian?
Eric started out on a very popular sketch somodey show called "Full Frontal", He was involved in that for about three years playing varios charecters. When he left that in 1996 just before it stopped he started to do his own sketch show called "Eric" he did that for about two season (with Stephen Curry (Dale)) and between seasons he did he Castle. After 1997 he seemed to dissaper and amny people thought that was it for him. but in 2000 he burst back on to the scene with Chopper, That lead to Black Hawk Down, Finding Nemo and HULK. i am sure he will become a huge hollywood star, But no matter if he is The HULK, Chopper or any one elce he will still be Pouter to me

Originally Posted by Kong
Kong thought he said, "I just dug a hole in the backyard. It filled up with water." Meaning that grounwater filled it up. Kong already returned the disc so he check to see which way it is.
He said "I dug a hole" Twice, The first time he just said "I dug a hole" and the second time he said "Dad..... I dug a hole........ I filled it up with water"

'THE CASTLE' is one of my favourite movies, when I first watched it I wasn't that enthused, but with each rewind I loved it more and more.

I have met people like the ones in the movie, they are really nice people, not really bright but very genuine.

I loved the relationship between the Dad and the Queen's counsel, it was unconditional friendship.

as for repeating what the narrator said I thought that was really funny as I had a friend that used to do that all the time before he answered you, it is called ecolalia.

Sophie lee and Eric Banner had small but charming roles.

Hope those who watched it loved it.

i love the castle!!
its my favourite aussie comedy, probably because their family reminds me alot, of some of my relatives
i was just wondering if anyone knows when the castle will be released on DVD in australia??
ive been looking for it everywhere

Randomly visiting for now
I know this thread is really old, but hey I loved The Castle 1997/I. It was a hilarious aussie film and a real feel-good movie. It's a slight exaggeration on aussie culture but believable all the same, with lovable characters and a "fight the power" storyline it's a movie that stays with you long after you've seen it.

Plus it's set in my home city (Melbourne) which is always a good thing

"I can't help it..."
The Castle is probably one of the most important Australian movies in the past ten years. Not since the 70's have Australian's been shown so truthfully in cinema.
Grilled (Jason Ensler, 2006) ****
An Inconvenient Truth (David Guggenheim, 2006) ****
The Family Stone (Thomas Bezucha, 2005) ***1/2
Rocky III (Sylvester Stallone, 1982) ***
--------------------------------------------
Visit My Blog!

or, my myspace!