Starship Troopers is getting a makeover

Tools    

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hea...t-works-943882

"Mark Swift and Damian Shannon, the writing duo behind the upcoming Zac Efron-Dwayne Johnson 'Baywatch' movie, will write the script for the alien-bug war film.

The studio is not remaking the film but is said to be going back to the original Heinlein novel for an all-new take. No personnel from the 1997 film are involved."

You can't improve on the best. Starship Troopers was one of the most innovative movies to be made. Not only a fun flick but a thought provoking one...or a thought controlling one, depending on the case.

Welcome to the human race...
While I most definitely don't love Starship Troopers the way so many others do, I find the idea that they're going to do a new take on the source novel seems at once understandable but also like a recipe for disaster. Obviously the odds of them outdoing the original in terms of being a Super Subtle Satire are slim, but that just puts even more pressure on whatever new take they're doing.

If Trump wins they may try a completely straight & serious approach to Heinlein's novel.

But if Hillary wins, they may try to outdo the satire level of the original movie (disparaging all defense and all military as insensitive and unnecessary) on the level of The Brady Bunch Movie (1995).

Josh Zetumer, who wrote a couple TV movies, and Jose Padhila, tried to redo RoboCop.
Kurt Wimmer, who gave us Ultraviolet and Street Kings, with Len Wiseman, tried to redo Total Recall.
And now the guys behind Baywatch are doing Starship Troopers?

Bless, all these crappy writers and driectors thinking they can outdo Verhoeven

Welcome to the human race...
I'm pretty sure the thought of outdoing the originals doesn't really factor into it much - even if it is just a question of making a decent film that doesn't disrespect the original, they can still be countered by studio execs just looking to cash in on a brand (which I understand is what happened with Padilha and RoboCop).