The MoFo Top 100 Sci-Fi Movies

→ in
Tools    

Out of what you haven't crossed off on your Sci-Fi list, I think you might like The Abyss and The Andromeda Strain...
Good call, I think she would like both of those and the one Nope just mentioned The Invisible Man (1933).

Have gone through some, but not as much as I want to yet. These are the one I've seen so far:

The City of lost Children
Dark City
Solaris '76 (30 min so far)
Solaris '02
20,000 leagues under the sea
Journey to the center of the earth
The time machine
Time after time
Fantastic voyage
The thirteenth floor
Twelve Monkeys
La Jeteé
Primer
Clazor what did you think of those? Is that the order you liked them in?

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I went through my master list of sci fi movies, that I think are great and copied the titles that I 'think' you might like but haven't seen?

Apollo 18 (2011)..'found footage' movie, I liked it not sure if you would
Cherry 2000 (1987)
Dark City (1998)
Fantastic Voyage (1966)
Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (1994)
Never Let Me Go (2010)
Robinson Crusoe on Mars (1964)
The Monolith Monsters (1957) (the monsters are rock crystals)
The Spirit of '76 (1990)
When Worlds Collide (1951)

Which of these have you seen? your thoughts?
From this list, I've seen Apollo 18, Fantastic Voyage, Never Let Me Go, and When Worlds Collide. The only one that I didn't like was Apollo 18.

I'll add the rest of the list to my sci-fi watchlist.

Out of what you haven't crossed off on your Sci-Fi list, I think you might like The Abyss and The Andromeda Strain.

Out of my favorites, you might not like any of them.

I haven't seen either The Abyss or The Andromeda Strain, but I think I have both of them on DVD. But I'm not sure if The Andromeda Strain is the right version. I'll have to check.

Both of these movies were already on my sci-fi watchlist, but I bumped them up closer to the top of the list.

Good call, I think she would like both of those and the one Nope just mentioned The Invisible Man (1933).
I've seen the movie Abbott and Costello Meet The Invisible Man, and I liked that, so I'll add The Invisible Man to my watchlist too.

Nothing good comes from staying with normal people
Clazor what did you think of those? Is that the order you liked them in?
No, just how I listed them as I remembered them at point of writing. The City of lost Children and Dark City were the clear favourites, with 20 000 leagues and Journey coming in after. I had seen both of the time machine movies before, but I needed a refresher, which was fun, cause I liked them both. I have an issue with McDowell though. I can't reconsiliate this man:

with this one:

The first man looks like he can enter a wedding and fist the groom, while the older gentleman couldn't even fathom such a thing. And yet, he did! And that scares me somewhat.

Wasn't overly impressed with Fantastic voyage (other than with visuals and FX, which were very cool). Same with Solaris '02 which I mentioned previously in the recommend thread.

Thirteenth floor was simply meh. Nothing I really liked, nothing I really disliked. Forgetable.

It was interesting seeing Twelve monkeys and La Jeteé back to back (twelve first). You could see the influences, both narrativley and in some aspects visually, but Gilliam did put his own special spin on it. You could tell that the director of Brazil made this movie (which I also saw not to long ago, come to think about it). I liked it well enough, but I don't think it'll make my list.

Primer was a heavy movie, not only in the diffuse narrative threads and complex chronology, but emotionally as well. Sure, they're excited when they first discover the phenomenon and realize wat it means, but soon the worry and anxiety sets in and suddenly, it's the worst thing for them. Mistrust breeds paranoia and in the end, they're both screwed. Glad to have seen it, needs another two or three watches to really be understood comepletely, but that won't happen. Once was enough.

Just so you guys know, Soylent Green is a great film, but not spelled Solyent Green or Solvent Green.
I'm the worlds worst speller...but if you vote for this movie, do Nope a favor and don't confuse him with alternative spellings

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
I already sent a list in - gotta be THE EARLEST EVER I've ever done that

Out of what you haven't crossed off on your Sci-Fi list, I think you might like The Abyss and The Andromeda Strain.

Out of my favorites, you might not like any of them.
Thanks for the recommendations.

I haven't seen either The Abyss or The Andromeda Strain, but I think I have both of them on DVD. But I'm not sure if The Andromeda Strain is the right version. I'll have to check.

Both of these movies were already on my sci-fi watchlist, but I bumped them up closer to the top of the list.
I watched The Abyss, and I loved it. It has a chance to break into my top 25 sci-fi list.

I checked my DVD of The Andromeda Strain, but it's the wrong version. It's the A&E mini-series from 2008. Would the mini-series be eligible for this countdown, or does it have to be a movie?

Also, I watched the Joss Whedon movie In Your Eyes (2014), but I'm not sure if that was a movie theater release or a TV movie. I loved it, and it has a good chance to make my list too. Would In Your Eyes be eligible for this countdown?

In Your Eyes counts. I'm not a fan but yeah i don't see any reason why it shouldn't be eligible.
Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a TV movie, and if so, I didn't know if TV movies were eligible.

Thanks. I wasn't sure if it was a TV movie, and if so, I didn't know if TV movies were eligible.
Right i wasn't aware it wasn't released theatrically, i just watched it on Netflix once and assumed it was especially because of Whedons involvement. It wasn't a TV Movie either though, not sure what you'd categorize it as exactly. From Wiki:

The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival on April 20. Immediately afterwards, it was self-distributed online instead of taking on theatrical distribution.
In Your Eyes premiered on April 20 at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival.[1][28] In place of theatrical distribution, the film was put up for simultaneous release. The venture was announced after its debut screening in a video message from Joss Whedon, who said that the Tribeca premiere was "not just the premiere of the film. It is the worldwide release date".[29][30] Brin Hill described the experimental method as "bittersweet, because it's uncharted territory. But there’s something thrilling about this. [...] There’s something exciting about just making it available everywhere to everyone at once".[31]
I think it should still count but it'd be up to Nope since it is a fairly unique case.

Right i wasn't aware it wasn't released theatrically, i just watched it on Netflix once and assumed it was especially because of Whedons involvement. It wasn't a TV Movie either though, not sure what you'd categorize it as exactly. From Wiki:

The film had its world premiere at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival on April 20. Immediately afterwards, it was self-distributed online instead of taking on theatrical distribution.
In Your Eyes premiered on April 20 at the 2014 Tribeca Film Festival.[1][28] In place of theatrical distribution, the film was put up for simultaneous release. The venture was announced after its debut screening in a video message from Joss Whedon, who said that the Tribeca premiere was "not just the premiere of the film. It is the worldwide release date".[29][30] Brin Hill described the experimental method as "bittersweet, because it's uncharted territory. But there’s something thrilling about this. [...] There’s something exciting about just making it available everywhere to everyone at once".[31]
I think it should still count but it'd be up to Nope since it is a fairly unique case.

Thanks for the info. I'll wait for Nope's decision before making my list.