Lethal Weapon

Tools    

The pilot for this reboot of the movie franchise coasts quite a bit on the reputation of the franchise, but does offer an understanding of the characters the show is based on but for the pilot was pretty standard for the most part. The basic premise of the 1987 movie is pretty much the same with some slight tinkering with the main characters backstories. Instead of getting ready to retire, this Roger Murtagh (Damon Wayans) is returning to work after some kind of major surgery and we actually get to see how Martin Riggs (Clayne Crawford) lost his wife, Miranda (her name was Victoria in the movie). There is even an homage to Mel Gibson's suicide attempt scene from the original movie, but now that all of this exposition is out of the way, it will be interesting to see what TPTB can do to keep people watching because it seems like they played most of their cards in the pilot.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I haven't watched the movie in years, but I watched the pilot episode, and it seems like they basically made a short version of the movie for the pilot. I liked the interaction between the main characters, so I think this show has a chance, but at this point we'll just have to wait and see.

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
Meh, Wayans is a gash actor and I've never even heard of the other guy.

Clayne Crawford ("the other guy") isn't a household name, but I've seen him in a couple of other TV shows, ("24" and "Jericho"), and he was pretty good. He seems to be doing a good job of Riggs on "Lethal Weapon", so you might want to give him a chance.

I totally love all four movies, so I watched the TV show and it was actually not too bad. The best thing is the humor but the action is pretty non-stop so the entertainment level is fairly high. It looks like they spent quite a bit of money on the first episode, so I wonder if they can keep it up (make your own jokes here ). Have the second episode on DVR and need to catch it.

Soooo.... they're retconning the movies.

I'll miss this methinks.
Yeah, it came off like they're creating another standard cop show and thinking it's something special by utilizing movie characters we love but I just didn't buy it. I seriously doubt if I'm going to be watching anymore. I might watch one more episode, but there's too much other stuff on TV that I really enjoy to waste time with this.

Ok so... the Pilot is on telly right now... just hit the first ad break.

What a load of crap.
Backstory has nothing to do with the original story... characters are nothing like the originals... no charisma from the actors... it has nothing.

It's just a buddy show with two disparate characters in the lead.

It's Lethal Weapon in name only.

You can't win an argument just by being right!
I've never heard of this tv show. Probably wont check it out if it airs here. I'm a fan of the movies.

It's awful.
I tuned in because I spotted it was on.

Riggs is now an ex-SEAL. In the films he's Special Forces.
He sees his wife, and unborn child killed. In the films, he never knew she was dead until he gets a phone call, and then finds that gold pen which he keeps as a keep-sake.
Murtaugh is now a bald wisecracking musclehead recovering from a heart attack.
Murtaugh doesn't carry a revolver any more.
Murtaugh's wife is now an attorney, not an author.

All of the other characters, including the Murtaugh children, have all been written out.

Why why why??? Is this supposed to be a reboot or a reimagining by the showrunner? Why not just call it something else, write something original, and save himself the royalties $$$

Exactly.

It's just a buddy cop TV series. Badly acted and written too, and it's just using the Lethal Weapon name to sell itself.

I actually like it, It took them a few episodes to hit their groove, but it's cruising along nicely now... as a fan of the original films I didn't think I'd take to it, but it won me over after only a couple episodes.

Riggs isn't as crazy in the show as he was in the films, Nothing will ever touch Glover telling him to put the gun in his mouth, jamming his hand between the hammer and firing pin at the last second, that crazed look Gibson had that just faded to dazed as he says "I'm hungry, I'm going to go eat.." after almost dying was intense.

The chemistry picked up over a few episodes, the comedic element is solid, as are the stories. it's one of my "Must See" shows now

It's awful.
I tuned in because I spotted it was on.

Riggs is now an ex-SEAL. In the films he's Special Forces.
He sees his wife, and unborn child killed. In the films, he never knew she was dead until he gets a phone call, and then finds that gold pen which he keeps as a keep-sake.
Murtaugh is now a bald wisecracking musclehead recovering from a heart attack.
Murtaugh doesn't carry a revolver any more.
Murtaugh's wife is now an attorney, not an author.

All of the other characters, including the Murtaugh children, have all been written out.
Trish Murtaugh just quit her job as an attorney, so she can go author if they want, the Murtaugh kids are in it, and they're slowly bringing characters in like Leo Getz was just in a recent one.

You might want to try the 3 episode test before deciding it's junk, it really does get better.. I thought the pilot was "ok" but after a few episodes I was sold.

Nah, I'm a purist
On a serious note, I'm too big a fan of the movies tbh, I've already turned Lethal Weapon off.

TV series rarely get my attention for more than 1 or 2 episodes.
I've tried all shows, GoT, Sopranos, Gotham. None of them do anything for me.
The X-Files is the only series that has ever kept my attention, to the point I even bought the entire box set.

Did you ever check out Breaking Bad? that was one of the greatest series ever.

nd now Better Call Saul

And a few others but I'll stop there.

nd now Better Call Saul

And a few others but I'll stop there.
I need to catch up on Saul, I watched the first season and after that never looked for it again, it just didn't capture the Breaking Bad magic for me. Looking back at the series, the wormy little ambulance chaser was probably the last person I think needed a backstory much less a prequel spin off show.