X-Men: Apocalypse

→ in
Tools    

WARNING - some spoilers ahead!

Hello dear readers,

Yesterday, Hazel and I watched X-Men: Apocalypse. If you know anything about me, I am a HUGE X-MEN fan. So I had HIGH HOPES for this movie and HIGH EXPECTATIONS, while Hazel just wanted nice special effects and lots of mutants. Silly dog.

So Hazel gives this movie 3.5 stars out of 4. I agree with the little dog in that the movie was visually stunning, believably acted as they all are, and very entertaining. We are both thrilled that Quicksilver got to play a larger part, and just like he did in Days of Future Past, he stole the show whenever he appeared The best scene in the movie goes to Quicksilver again, he did not disappoint

But I also have some big problems with this movie. I understand the Days of Future Past erasing the time line of the first three movies (and thus making them null, void and pointless), but I do not think it went far enough in its explanations. Apocalypse compounds on this problem in its failure to bridge any connections in the prior story lines at all (Weapon X cameo? I guess?).

Inconsistencies with Night Crawler’s abilities are not resolved or explained. In X2 (which would have been his future if not for Days of Future Past), he refuses to teleport into a building he’s never seen before, but does it into the Helicopter with no difficulty. This is a minor nitpick, but it seems the movie scaled certain mutants powers as it needed to fit the plot. Cyclops, in an emotionally unstable state, delivers an optic blast to a high school student about 2 feet in front of him behind a bathroom stall door, yet the boy is left relatively unharmed. A few days later when showing Xavier his power, in a calm controlled setting, he unleashes a blast that scores the ground and splits a giant tree like it was balsa wood.

My largest problem with the movie is Magneto’s character arc. The ramifications of Magneto’s actions are never addressed (and thus he is never forced to confront them), which gives the entire film a hollow and shallow feeling. As we see Magneto level skyscrapers and bridges all across the globe in the film's climax, one has to assume a few (possibly thousands if not millions!) humans are also being killed. This is glossed over by a news report stating Magneto assisted with defeating Apocalypse, Magneto and Jean rebuilding the mansion, and Magneto and Xavier having a chuckle between old friends. However, how would this actually look? Mutants got into a fight...cities all across the globe were almost torn to pieces...not exactly a plus for human and mutant relations. The basis of Magneto and Xavier's conflict, which is a HUGE theme in any X-Men film, is living harmoniously with humans. This is undermined greatly by not even acknowledging Magneto may have shredded up countless humans in thousands of jagged, metal death-tornadoes.

A plus and a minus was the villain, and title's namesake, Apocalypse. I felt Apocalypse's power was captured on screen perfectly. He's a very powerful mutant, possibly one of the most powerful, and he was portrayed this way. But although he spoke with grandeur and zeal, he didn't really say much. "Must destroy humanity and rebuild!"...over and over again...okay? Why again? By leaving the viewers in the dark about what Apocalypse’s true motivations are, they have also left us without tension and focus that this movie desperately needed.

I will say that even though the ending may not stand up to scrutiny, it was splendid. It wrapped up the entire movie together nicely, while leaving room for the next one. It's an odd movie, in that although it had some problems, we left the theater thoroughly satisfied and enjoyed myself quite a bit. I give it a solid 3 out of 4 stars. We'll round up towards Hazel, and give it a nice 3.3 stars. It's what a summer blockbuster should be, entertaining and visually cool.

-Jessica, author of Beyond the Veil

Young Skywalker. Missed you, I have...
I enjoyed it. I thought that various parts could have brought the movies together and they just never really did. I really do think that they are getting better and better as they go along and am really excited to see the next! I gave it a 4.5 out of 5.

Inconsistencies with Night Crawler’s abilities are not resolved or explained. In X2 (which would have been his future if not for Days of Future Past), he refuses to teleport into a building he’s never seen before, but does it into the Helicopter with no difficulty.
The way I understood it was that in X2 he has no idea what the inside of the building is like, and could easily teleport inside of a wall. Whereas in Apocalypse, he's close enough to see the size and shape of the helicopter, and helicopters don't typically have very diverse layouts.

Cyclops, in an emotionally unstable state, delivers an optic blast to a high school student about 2 feet in front of him behind a bathroom stall door, yet the boy is left relatively unharmed. A few days later when showing Xavier his power, in a calm controlled setting, he unleashes a blast that scores the ground and splits a giant tree like it was balsa wood.
As a friend of mine likes to point out on a frequent basis, Cyclops' eye powers are actually concussive blasts, so the highschool kid surviving the bathroom incident is very plausible, especially since the force was spread out across the stall door, and Scott wasn't actively trying to hurt him.

Later on at the X Mansion, he is specifically trying to focus and control his power, so an increased force over a smaller area would definitely deal more damage. The blasts are supposed to be heat-less, so I imagine it was the friction that caused the scorching.

"Vaguely defined superpowers" are sort of a comic book trope, and different writers have different ideas about how a characters' powers work, so it's usually not something I notice or care about unless it's a huge departure from the source material.

Thank you guys for your replies! ^^ Hazel the little Italian Greyhound/Dachshund mix reviews more movies on my website! I also do a lot of Indie films as well

I've just seen Oscar Isaac saying that he and Bryan Singer judged on which occasions Isaac would go "full Skeletor" (Langella). I love the pair of them for that.

I think the time was a big problem for this movie. I mean after bvs,civil war, deadpool I couldn't be excited for this movie. Also after mcu took Spidey back everyone start to think they can took X-Men either. Fantastic Four's fail is an other factor. Mcu's success and discussions about bvs made this movie a bit usual. And yeah there was some mistakes in the movie but i think the real problem (but the time) is that we have seen all of these events. We've seen that they became X-Men, Magneto had a painful life but he has a lighter side. And i feel like we've been watching same thing for 7 movies. I liked and i realized that i miss X-Men, but i think they should provide some new things in X-Men movies. They have lots of opportunities, they have X-Men.

Boldly going.
The fact that it took so long for a thread to appear shows that we're all experiencing some fatigue with X-Men movies, if not with comic book movies in general.

I still find it cartoonish that whenever Wolverine takes his claws out of someone that there's no blood, yet we see blood in other contexts in these movies.

I found the cameo with Weapon-X (Wolverine) fitting, but in Days of Future Past, Mystique - disguised as Stryker - held Logan prisoner, and it was assumed that she would transform him into Weapon-X. Maybe something happened between the two films, but it should've been addressed ... I understand the helmet Weapon-X wore was more consistent with the comic book, but it kind looked ridiculous.

Did anybody else find it odd that Magneto's wife was killed with an arrow, when they were surrounded by police? I somehow missed his daughter's death; perhaps I turned to cough? I noticed Magneto's daughter had witch powers - but she was not Wanda (Scarlet Witch)?

My biggest problem with the movie was the ending. With The Four Horsemen having caused so much destruction, there should've been a trial; perhaps duress could've been their defense (Apocalypse was very powerful: he could move about the planet at will and could turn people to dust just by looking at them).

I liked how Apocalypse used Xavier's powers for his evil purposes. I've always thought Xavier had the potential to be an extremely dangerous mutant.

Overall the movie wasn't too bad. Quicksilver (Evan Peters) stole the show, as usual ... he could have his own movie.

I'd like to see it again before giving it a score.

Welcome to the human race...
The fact that it took so long for a thread to appear shows that we're all experiencing some fatigue with X-Men movies, if not with comic book movies in general.
Eh, I think it's more that the site has shifted so that, since a movie generally gets its own thread in the Upcoming Movies sub-forum before it comes out that's already full of people discussing the movie, then setting up a new thread in the Reviews section seems a little redundant. The only real motivation to post a movie-specific thread in this part of the site is if you want to show off your review before anyone else.

I still find it cartoonish that whenever Wolverine takes his claws out of someone that there's no blood, yet we see blood in other contexts in these movies.
No argument there.

I found the cameo with Weapon-X (Wolverine) fitting, but in Days of Future Past, Mystique - disguised as Stryker - held Logan prisoner, and it was assumed that she would transform him into Weapon-X. Maybe something happened between the two films, but it should've been addressed ... I understand the helmet Weapon-X wore was more consistent with the comic book, but it kind looked ridiculous.
I think that's one of the things where the audience can fill in the gaps easily enough. Ten years pass between Days of Future Past and Apocalypse, that's more than enough time for the real Stryker to capture Logan.

Did anybody else find it odd that Magneto's wife was killed with an arrow, when they were surrounded by police?
...no? The reason she got killed with an arrow is because the police, having figured out that Henryk was actually Magneto, knew not to bring metal weapons like guns or knives to fight him and so they brought along wooden bows and arrows. That was made pretty clear.

I somehow missed his daughter's death; perhaps I turned to cough?
She got killed by the same arrow that killed his wife.

I noticed Magneto's daughter had witch powers - but she was not Wanda (Scarlet Witch)?
No, I don't think so.

[quote]My biggest problem with the movie was the ending. With The Four Horsemen having caused so much destruction, there should've been a trial; perhaps duress could've been their defense (Apocalypse was very powerful: he could move about the planet at will and could turn people to dust just by looking at them).

I liked how Apocalypse used Xavier's powers for his evil purposes. I've always thought Xavier had the potential to be an extremely dangerous mutant.
No kidding, the villain's plot in X-Men 2 was to trick Xavier into using Cerebro to psychically murder every mutant in the world. Hardly the newest idea, which is a strike against this movie.

Overall the movie wasn't too bad. Quicksilver (Evan Peters) stole the show, as usual ... he could have his own movie.
Probably not the best idea seeing as both movies he's been in so far render his super-speed ability so powerful that he could resolve virtually every conflict in either film.

And yeah there was some mistakes in the movie but i think the real problem (but the time) is that we have seen all of these events. We've seen that they became X-Men, Magneto had a painful life but he has a lighter side. And i feel like we've been watching same thing for 7 movies. I liked and i realized that i miss X-Men, but i think they should provide some new things in X-Men movies. They have lots of opportunities, they have X-Men.
I think you're right. It's too repetitive, no matter how well it's done. Also, I was thinking that we keep seeing the same mutants and their, now familiar, powers over and over (I can never get enough of Magneto, mind you). Maybe this series Legion will be good because the mutants will all be unfamiliar.

Probably not the best idea seeing as both movies he's been in so far render his super-speed ability so powerful that he could resolve virtually every conflict in either film.
Yeah, that's a good shout. I find that I want to like the character but it irritates me a lot that both films seemed to be lauded mainly for his big scenes and little else.

I found the movie very generic and by the numbers straight forward bereft of tension apocalypse looked good as the villain but his grandeur is swept away by that disapointing ending as if its a 90s superhero film, to be honesr i liked the most xmen first class end of story.

I found the movie very generic and by the numbers straight forward bereft of tension apocalypse looked good as the villain but his grandeur is swept away by that disapointing ending as if its a 90s superhero film, to be honesr i liked the most xmen first class end of story.
I think X-Men: First Class is the best X-Men film to be honest. Also, I don't know whether anyone else gets the same impression, it seems as though it doesn't get the credit it deserves. The direction and editing were excellent, the actors were great and the score is one of the best I've heard in recent years. I reacted against Bryan Singer's Days of Future Past because it felt like a step too far into science fiction territory whereas First Class was more grounded. From what I've seen of Apocalypse it looks like a return to that, so I think I'll like it more.

score 9\100

X-Men: Apocalypse
Movie Blurb by Shale
June 14, 2016

This movie opened on May 27th but I was preoccupied with moving, setting up my new apartment utilities and getting surgery on my hand. But, as of yesterday I am back on my bike and tho my apartment is still not entirely put together, I have been living in it for two weeks so I biked down to Regal Cinema today to see a matinee. Tho this little blurb is almost 3 weeks late, making it moot since all the ppl who are gonna see this movie likely already have, I'll just do a quick take on what I thot of it.

The movie opens in ancient Egypt, thousands of years ago where a mutant En Sabah Nur (Oscar Isaac) and his four minions are attempting to gain more power when the ppl rise up and bury them under a pyramid. He gets unearthed in the 1980s and encounters the fragmented X-Men of that period.

Professor Xavier (James McAvoy) is running his school for gifted children with Hank McCoy (Nicholas Hoult) and one of his students Jean Grey (Sophie Turner). Magneto (Michael Fassbender) is on the lam, living under an assumed name in Poland working in a steel mill. Raven (Jennifer Lawrence) is out rescuing and teaming up with Nightcrawler (Kodi Smit-McPhee) and Scott Summers (Tye Sheridan) is just coming into his Cyclops powers and is brot blindfolded to Professor Xavier's school by his brother Alex Summers (Lucas Till). Oh, and CIA Agent Moira MacTaggert (Rose Byrne) is back, still oblivious to her first encounter with Charles Xavier and the X-Men.

That should bring you up to date on the X-men who now must deal with the very powerful En Sabah Nur, henceforth known as Apocalypse. There is also an origin story of Ororo Munroe or Storm (Alexandra Shipp) who is discovered by Apocalypse.

Needless to say there will be stunning earth altering battles between these powerful mutants and alliances, as before will change. In fact, the only problem I had with this movie, more so than the last one was the deviation from canon of the other X-Men movies. Of course X-Men: Days of Future Past was a time altering movie and as I mentioned in that blurb:

"The temporal paradox seemed to be satisfied - no obvious flaws that I caught. There may have been some canon discrepancies with Wolverine & Col. Stryker in the Vietnam War as seen in X-Men: Origins Wolverine but you can't expect everything in a storyline to fall in place after 6 movies."

I can understand the discrepancies if we are dealing with an alternate timeline, but we've already seen the first meeting of Prof. Xavier with Scott Summers, Jean Grey, Kurt Wagner and Logan in previous movies that differ from this one.

Only 48% of the aggregate critics at Rotten Tomatoes liked this movie but like me, 73% of audiences liked it. I also liked the way they had Stan Lee's cameo with his wife Joanie. And this movie has the end-credit teaser trailer totally at the end of the credits so have faith and wait for the 10 minutes of scrolling text to pass. The music is nice while waiting.

Over rated movie. Xmen goin from best to worse and apocalypse was actually apocalypse for Xmen series. There is no Xmen without Wolverine. They need a stronger character like Wolverine to take Xmen to hits category

Just saw this. I hate to comment on people's looks, but I thought the girl who played Jean Grey was kind of homely, while the one who played Storm was pretty cute despite the mohawk.