Make Your Picks
The deadline for the Noir and Neo Noir lists are coming up! You can submit your neo noir ballot here and your noir ballot here

A Beautiful Mind (2001)

→ in
Tools    

A Beautiful Mind

Directed by Ron Howard, starring Russel Crowe as John Nash.

A masterpiece.

Based upon the life of renowned professor of Mathematics and Nobel prize winner, John Nash and his fierce, unrelenting battle with mental illness. A story that would start at Princeton University in 1947 when he was awarded the Carnegie Scholarship for Mathematics and would end after a lifetime of ground breaking work in the fields of Mathematics and Economics. One of the truly great minds of the 20th Century.

With the best minds of his generation in his class, Nash truly wanted to come up with his original idea. With plenty of encouragement from his room mate Charles, Nash began to work on his original idea. An idea that was born when Nash and his friends were in a bar trying to pick up girls. After seeing a group of girls enter a bar, one of his friends suggests simply 'every man for himself', however Nash and is rightly called 'beautiful mind' comes up with a different idea. An original idea. Although unfortunately they didn't pick up any girls at the bar, Nash rewrote the fundamentals of Governing Dynamics instead, calling it Nash Equilibrium; a now fundamental part of Game Theory. An idea would go on to contribute towards his winning of the Nobel prize in Economics almost 45 years later.

Years later, Nash is now a University professor, with many students eager to learn from a man of such intellect such as Nash. One such student, Alicia Larde (Jennifer Connelly) would go to invite Nash to dinner, and thus the two fall in love. After some wingman advice from his room mate and best friend Charles (Paul Bettany), Nash proposes and the two marry.

Nash's brilliant mind wasn't just attracting the attention of other Professors and students alike, the Pentagon also needed the unparalleled mind of John Nash. He was tasked with decoding an Encrypted enemy telecommunication. A task that Nash completed in his head, much to the amazement of everyone in the room.

However, having such a unique and brilliant mind can come at a cost.

That is where I shall leave the plot as I would not like to ruin the entire thing for people yet to see such an intelligent and beautiful movie.

A film comparable to the great work of Gus Van Sant with Good Will Hunting, I can not recommend A Beautiful Mind enough. Russel Crowe played the role to utter perfection. The thick accent, the hand gestures, just the way he walked completely encapsulated the man of John Nash. Accompanied by James Horner's breathtaking soundtrack, you will find yourself immersed in the intricate life of John Nash.

I dedicate this review to John and Alicia Nash who sadly died in a car crash on May 23, 2015.

'He saw the world in a way no one could have imagined.'

Thank you for reading my first review!

I like that movie.

Also, hi.

I like that movie.

Also, hi.
I like it too! And hello there :^)

I saw A Beautiful Mind way back when it came out. I hardly remember it; I know I didn't care for it but that's back when I didn't watch a lot of serious movies. I should try it again.

That's a very nice review-welcome to the site!

Welcome to the forums!

As for the review, the plot description is way too long in my opinion. I would say that 80% of the readers of a review has already seen the film, which therefore makes the long walkthrough of the plot unneccessary and annoying for the reader. For those who haven't seen the film, they mostly want just a general idea of the film and most likely already know a little about it beforehand. So my advice is to keep the plot synopsis short and direct.

You might want to continue the plot description later, if you have a point you want to make; like, say, the main character comes to an important moment, you might want to to reference that a little so the reader can relate to your review and understand your points.

So yeah, what basically ends up as the essence of your review is only the last few lines. In terms of length, the plot description and actual review should pretty much be switched around. Next time dive deeper into your film with your review... A few classic review-points would be the central plot, the characters, the themes, the visual presentation, the music and the important moments like the beginning, middle, end - which basically leads back to how the plot/story was.

Once again, welcome to the forums, I hope you will continue to write reviews.

Welcome! And I agree with MM: most of the time you can dispense with the plot summary entirely, but if not, I'd still keep it very short. That's the part they can get anywhere: your review is the thing they can only get from you.

welcome!
I liked the read.Ive seen it but its been so long i dont really remember any of it.

I was so sad to hear about their passing

Howdy James! Welcome to MoFo, it's always good to have more movie reviewers. I really liked A Beautifully Mind. Nice review too, shorter is usually better IMO. Like MM and Yoda said pare down the plot overview. Your review was good

Welcome to the forums!

As for the review, the plot description is way too long in my opinion. I would say that 80% of the readers of a review has already seen the film, which therefore makes the long walkthrough of the plot unneccessary and annoying for the reader. For those who haven't seen the film, they mostly want just a general idea of the film and most likely already know a little about it beforehand. So my advice is to keep the plot synopsis short and direct.

You might want to continue the plot description later, if you have a point you want to make; like, say, the main character comes to an important moment, you might want to to reference that a little so the reader can relate to your review and understand your points.

So yeah, what basically ends up as the essence of your review is only the last few lines. In terms of length, the plot description and actual review should pretty much be switched around. Next time dive deeper into your film with your review... A few classic review-points would be the central plot, the characters, the themes, the visual presentation, the music and the important moments like the beginning, middle, end - which basically leads back to how the plot/story was.

Once again, welcome to the forums, I hope you will continue to write reviews.
Thanks for the feedback , I definitely see what you mean about going too deeply into the plot and not enough into the actual review. I'll try to improve in the next one!

I enjoyed reading your review, though it would have been nice to have a little less plot synopsis and more of what you thought of the film. You are a skillful writer though and I look forward to reading more of your reviews. Personally, A Beautiful Mind bored me to death, but that's just me.

It's hard to think of another movie about schizophrenia that doesn't pale next to Beautiful Mind.

As an authority on the subject, there are better.

Oh, but I enjoyed your review, James. I like the movie well enough I guess, it gets a lot of stuff wrong and I think it's flawed in general but to me the important thing to take away is that any movie that works to fight the stigma against mental illness is worthwhile, generally speaking.

As an authority on the subject, there are better.

yep I'm agree !

Decent review buddy Welcome to the site!

Some good advice there from the guys about how much plot to give away.
Personally I always assume that the reader hasn't seen the movie, which is why they're reading my review.

Example, the synopsis I wrote for Jurassic World:
Jurassic World, built on the bones of the original failure that was Jurassic Park, has been enjoying huge success with visitors from across the Globe for years… but attendance numbers are declining and the shareholders, management and Ingen are worried.
So, being as immoral and money-oriented as they are, they cook up a classified experiment that will give the public something new to ogle, and have nightmares over… all in the name of $$.

And for the recent Poltergeist remake:
The Bowen family, comprised of Father Eric, Mother Amy and the children Kendra, Griffin and youngest Daughter Maddy, are in the aftermath of Eric losing his job and the family losing their last home, move into a new home.
At first the kids, especially Griffin, aren’t too happy with the move and before they can settle in properly, strange things start happening upstairs, mainly in Maddy’s bedroom.

Never give too much away in the synopsis That way, those who haven't seen the movie will be more interested in reading your thoughts, and can then judge on whether to see the film or not based on your thoughts and the small non-spoiler plot summary you've written.
And those who have seen the movie, can enjoy reading and comparing their own thoughts with yours, and can have a little smile to themselves when they read your synopsis at the start.

Decent review buddy Welcome to the site!

Some good advice there from the guys about how much plot to give away.
Personally I always assume that the reader hasn't seen the movie, which is why they're reading my review.

Example, the synopsis I wrote for Jurassic World:
Jurassic World, built on the bones of the original failure that was Jurassic Park, has been enjoying huge success with visitors from across the Globe for yearsÖ but attendance numbers are declining and the shareholders, management and Ingen are worried.
So, being as immoral and money-oriented as they are, they cook up a classified experiment that will give the public something new to ogle, and have nightmares overÖ all in the name of $$.

And for the recent Poltergeist remake:
The Bowen family, comprised of Father Eric, Mother Amy and the children Kendra, Griffin and youngest Daughter Maddy, are in the aftermath of Eric losing his job and the family losing their last home, move into a new home.
At first the kids, especially Griffin, arenít too happy with the move and before they can settle in properly, strange things start happening upstairs, mainly in Maddyís bedroom.

Never give too much away in the synopsis That way, those who haven't seen the movie will be more interested in reading your thoughts, and can then judge on whether to see the film or not based on your thoughts and the small non-spoiler plot summary you've written.
And those who have seen the movie, can enjoy reading and comparing their own thoughts with yours, and can have a little smile to themselves when they read your synopsis at the start.
Thanks a lot for the tips, I definitely see what you are saying. Will try to improve in my next review!

Originally Posted by DerekVinyard
Shutter Island's way below Beautiful Mind in my book.

Originally Posted by Swan
You're gonna have to tell me what this one's from, though.