We should stop invalidating suicidal people.

Tools    

One thing that annoys me is when people say things like "That person had no reason to commit suicide; It was so stupid". That's just a way of invalidating their view and supplanting it with your own. Maybe people do things for a reason.

It's tragic. They have pain that they were never able to cure and needs they were never able to meet. I'd never deny them their pain. Nor, would I deny them their freedom to live (or not live) their life as they please.

"Oh, but they were good looking, had a good job, were such a good person". Yeah, those are the things that matter to you. But maybe to them, having those things alone weren't enough to make them feel a sense of content and belonging.

"But, they have a family, and a society to support". Guess what? They don't owe you anything. If society couldn't afford them mental health treatment advanced enough to cure their ailments, surely they owe society nothing. And even a person with a family needs to enjoy life for their own sake.

Our emphasis on discouraging people from committing suicide, is a noble cause, but it feels so disingenuous. It's a mechanism that keeps our lives stable, but at the expense of someone else. If someone really believes that the pain of living outweighs the pain of dying, and scores of treatment methods have failed them, I just think it's pretty selfish to say that they should live their life miserable (but stable) just to make you happy.

This is such a stretch for a topic, pointless and depressing. How we think of it or repond to it is pointless because theyre frickin dead.

**** you all im jumping

**** you all im jumping
*laughs*

In all serious we shouldn't be dismissive of mental illness, if that's the impression you got fron the Trans thread, you're mistaken.

If you're advocating that suicide isn't predominantly a mental health issue, then that's a different argument altogether.