What is 10 Cloverfield Lane

Tools    

I recently saw 10 Cloverfield Lane, and I loved it. I also remember J.J. saying it was a blood relative of the first one, but I wanted to know whether you guys think it is a prequel, or a sequel? Maybe it is happening at the same time as the other, I have no idea. Let me know what you guys think.

I have to return some videotapes...
Honestly I wish I knew, you should probably put a spoiler warning up on your original post, but the way they tie it in to Cloverfield is an absolute joke. If I'm guessing I'm going to assume that it is taking place during the last 10 minutes of Cloverfield.

The movie is like the original... there is no explanation as to exactly what's happening... when, how, what, who or why.

The official "thing" is that it's a spiritual successor to the original movie... which means it might not actually be the same creature, or even set in the same "universe" as the original.
Kinda like the connection between Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End.

The movie is like the original... there is no explanation as to exactly what's happening... when, how, what, who or why.

The official "thing" is that it's a spiritual successor to the original movie... which means it might not actually be the same creature, or even set in the same "universe" as the original.
Kinda like the connection between Shaun Of The Dead, Hot Fuzz and The World's End.
What's the connection between those three outside of the same two actors playing two main characters?

They're designed to be a spiritual trilogy... same actors, not just Pegg and Frost, there's a number of actors that appear in all 3 films... same director in all 3 films... and they're known collectively as The Three Flavours Cornetto Trilogy as there's a running gag throughout all 3 films that involves Cornetto Ice Creams.
Shaun has only Strawberry
Fuzz has only Original
End has only Mint

The 3 of them together also cover almost all genres of movie.
All 3 movies have Comedy and Buddy-Movie themes throughout, but...
Shaun covers Romance and Horror
Fuzz covers Action and Thriller
End covers Sci-Fi and Mystery

I have to return some videotapes...
I thought this film was said to take place in the same universe.

I thought this movie was spectacular. It has a loose spiritual connection to Cloverfield but I'm not worried about trying to explain it. Absolutely LOVED this movie.

I think it took place as last movie time frame