Movies about Philosophy

Tools    

Movies are for entertainment, but being entertained does not mean you have to leave your brain at the theater door. Select a movie (or scene from a movie) and briefly state which philosophical idea it illustrates. For instance in the ending of Woody Allen's Stardust Memories Woody's character illustrates the ideas of existentialism by comparing life to a train that is on its way to the garbage dump. The point is to create whatever meaning one can on the journey.

One can find illustrations of existential philosophy throughout most of Woody Allen's films, but I'd like to do one other. In the Purple Rose of Cairo a character who is trapped playing the same role day in and day out, decides to leave the screen and explore life on the other side. He befriends a women who seems to be trapped in a dead end life. He spends time with her and offers her an alternative to her life if she would only choose to act on it.

Blade Runner
When humans have become so dehumanized that androids can become "more human than human". It is disturbing to realize that they achieve this by cultivating their memories; something humans seem to have surrendered to their dehumanized environment. I think when Roy decides he cannot prolong his own life that he takes it upon himself to "instruct" Deckard on what it means to "live" authentically. To live one's life with the knowledge that it will not last forever (or even five more seconds for that matter). Again existentialist themes again, but more from Heidegger than Camus or Sartre.
On a more theological bent, why does Batty push a nail through his hand?

I would be interrsted in knowing others thoughts on the nail through the hand. Obvious Christ imagery but I teslly didn't understand its place in the story at all.

I wonder if it does not have something to do with Batty giving the gift of life (authentic life) to Deckard. I think that it even says in the script that Batty had loved life (not just his own life but everybody's) (theatrical cut). To do this he had to push Deckard to the edge. He had to force deckard to face his own death. Only then does Batty save him.with his nail pierced hand. Just a thought, but one I have used as a way of understanding that scene for some time.

The japanese film The Face of Another is clearly a film about existentialism.

I would be interrsted in knowing others thoughts on the nail through the hand. Obvious Christ imagery but I teslly didn't understand its place in the story at all.
I love Blade Runner it's a 5/5 movie for me...but I think when people really love a movie they think about it a lot, they can come up with more depth and meaning than the average viewer sees, which is cool, but I don't think there is anything really deep about the nail in Batty's hand other than it made for a great scene.

I thought Roy pushed the nail through his hand because he felt his body giving out and his time was limited, so it was like his version of a splash of cold water on the face...something to keep him going for a few minutes longer. He says something like "Not yet" while looking at his contorted hand.

Here is a scene from mindwalk. Mindwalk seeks to promote a more holistic view of lookig at the word vs a more mechanistic view. This discussion about Descartes reflects the tone of the movie.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
Both Deckard and Batty seem to be having some problems with their hands in the nail scene. I've had a lot of problems with my right hand since my stroke with the hand not wanting to stay open when I want it. I thought Batty used the nail to try to bring back some feeling to his hand and his (and Deckard's) dying life. He even tells Deckard that he can't play unless he's alive. Simplistic, I know, but that's my take on the scene, especially considering what follows. I just saw Kaplan's reply, so I agree with him.

Movie Forums Extra
Donnie Darko (2001)