Eyes Wide Shut Discussion

Tools    

I just watched this for the first time, and it's either the absolute best film I've ever seen or one of the worsts. I can't quite describe what it is about this film, but I find it so hard to categorise or describe in any way. I had such a unique reaction to it, that I've never had to any other film. It lacks the scale of many Kubrick films, yet it never feels any less powerful than The Shining or 2001.

I think this comes as a result of the film appearing to have two different stories occurring at once, the literal and the symbolic. However, in order to uncover the symbolic prior knowledge or research is necessary. Is this good filmmaking? Should a film contain it's story entirely within its own context or should it extend to people's understanding of certain subjects such as cults and rituals?

I'm a fan of Eyes Wide Shut. I think it's very underrated, especially being a Kubrick film. I loved the dark, strange atmosphere. How the story unfolded was wild imo. I also love just how mysterious it is, and how it doesn't really give you any answers to the strangest things about the film. Oh and yes, I do think it's good film-making.

Also, welcome to the site! I like your top 10.

Should a film contain it's story entirely within its own context or should it extend to people's understanding of certain subjects such as cults and rituals?
In my opinion, best films leave room for interpretation, but not to the extent that there is no clarity or plainness at all. "Eyes Wide Shut" has good balance of clarity and vagueness.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
Nicole Kidman is lovely and gives(in my opinion) one of her best performances in this erotically charged thriller, and Tom Cruise, well I have a really difficult view on this man as he never comes across as genuine, and I find him one dimensional. However, in a rare instance Mr. Cruise will do something worth watching, and this gets pretty close to one of his best dramatic roles(Interview With The Vampire being the other drama I like him in).

However, I believe this to be on of Kubrick's weakest films, I believe it was more of a passion project for him and as such I can understand and appreciate the value of his work. But I've only seen this whole thing through twice, I find it a little boring to sit through, and I think it's often mysterious and ambiguous simply for the sake it. I mean technically speaking, the film was beautifully shot, well acted and made good use of colour and costume in terms of setting and mood, but something is just missing for me.

I have to return some videotapes.
This just got put close to the top of my watch lisf. Ive always wanted to see it but this thread makes me want it more!

Finished here. It's been fun.
EWS is one of the greatest films ever and one of Kubrick's best. Anybody that says otherwise is wrong.

This just got put close to the top of my watch lisf. Ive always wanted to see it but this thread makes me want it more!
Do it Cole! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after.

Wanna Date? Got Any Money?
EWS is one of the greatest films ever and one of Kubrick's best. Anybody that says otherwise is wrong.
In company such as Paths of Glory, 2001, The Shining, A Clockwork Orange, Full Metal Jacket, Dr. Strangelove and Barry Lyndon, I can't help but feel that your statement is illogical. And as for your latter statement, it's a matter of opinion and to blatantly call someone wrong for having differing tastes is a weak argument and does nothing to reinforce your own points. If the mystique of the movie gets you off so be it, but don't be so one sided as to disregard a number of true classics in it's favour.

I completely echo your sentiments regarding Eyes Wide Shut...I'm not sure if I understand exactly what the film is about or what kind of statement Kubrick was trying to make, but I find the film endlessly fascinating and has enormous re-watch appeal. I have never written a review of the film because I'm really not sure what to say. Cruise gives one of his strongest performances and Kidman is brilliant.