November ’15 Movie of the Month: FORBIDDEN PLANET (1956)

Tools    

Woody Allen is a pedophille

I chose to nominate Forbidden Planet for the movie of the month for many reasons. The first is because of the love of sic-fi that I share with many people on this forum. 1950s sci-fi is one of my favorite film genres, and this is one of it's highlights. This film has groundbreaking special effects and sets that would be great even for todays standards. It's clear that so much effort was put into this film from everyone involved, and even if you don't enjoy this film, you have to respect it. This flick also introduced the world to Robbie the Robot, the one who was mainly responsible for the large amount of robots we currently see in sic-fi. This film also stars Leslie Neilson who would later go on to mock movies exactly like this one. Love it or hate it, this film is a classic, and in my mind, it is one of the greatest sic fi films of all time.

Interesting choice Nope!

I have heard of this movie but really only knew the title. I gotta admit I'm not a very seasoned classic Sci-Fi watcher. The oldest Sci-Fi movie I've seen is 2001. I don't even know what I have in store with a Sci-Fi movie from the 50s! I am interested in this Robbie the Robot character if he is that influential to future robots in movies.

The only thing I'm worried about is that I don't think I've seen this one in stores. So it might take me a bit to get my hands on it. This might be the time where I pay a visit to the library and see if I can start renting movies from there. It's funny because prior to joining this site I literally had no idea that you could rent movies there.

Yaay! I have not seen this, so it should be very interesting.

I had seen Sinister from the last MOTM, so I'm glad something I haven't seen got nominated this time around. Should be a fun watch.

Awesome film! Here's my review after the first time I watched it:

Forbidden Planet (1956)

This is a really engaging and brilliantly smart classic sci-fi film that inventively exposes what could possibly be human's greatest ultimate intrinsic tragedy.

WARNING: "Forbidden Planet" spoilers below
Our animalistic, irrational subconscious side. "Id".

The film's Freudian theme is very cleverly metaphorized through thoughtful, seemingly unimportant details (the cook's lust for drinking, the men's lust for the daughter, etc.) and more obvious representations (the tiger jumping at the commander and the daughter, the robot being the most likable and flawless character in the whole movie, the invisible monster, etc.) during the whole film. It's really amazing how well thought out this film is. Every single aspect of it can be given meaning in the context of the film's main theme.

Even though the story very much (almost exclusively) focuses on the specific observation that's being made about human nature, the film still feels very rich, because of the high ambition that was obviously at the basis of the film's sci-fi context.
- First of all, the technical aspect of the film perfectly works, the locations look really good (especially by the standards of that time) and it's just a joy to watch it.
- Secondly, the ideas in this story are BIG and the film cleverly takes its time to explicate the film's story and environment. We really get to know and explore this film's sci-fi universe. I love that!

The film kind of made me think of Stalker in a certain (far-fetched) way. Stylistically, the films couldn't be further apart, but both movies touch on very similar topical issues, in my opinion. So, don't expect this picture to be a high level philosophical film or anything like that. It just tells an exciting sci-fi adventure that happens to have very interesting substantial aspects to it when studied more intensively. It's said to be loosely inspired by Shakespeare's 'The Tempest'.

Back to the small comparison I wanted to make between both films.
In Forbidden Planet, we witness why extremely developed technology in the hands of mankind can be dangerous (it's told in a very symbolic manner, but the argument the film's making is very clear) and in Stalker, we basically get a meditation on why the existence of the "supernatural" (a sort of "wishing room" in this case) could be more dangerous than positive, when it can be manipulated by men.
In other words, two of mankind's biggest wishes are fulfilled, but ultimately seem to have unforeseen negative side effects, because there seems to be something wrong with us!

Both films basically talk about the tragic unreliability of humanity. We can't trust other people and we can't even trust ourselves, because we never fully have control over neither of the two. There's a potential monster in all of us, even if there aren't any bad intentions... The point is not to be scared, but to be aware of the 'Id'-aspect of your nature. Don't deny its existence and don't be blind for its possible consequences.

"It will remind us that we are, after all, not God."

+

---------------------------------------

Woody Allen is a pedophille
Here is my review of this film from a couple months ago
FORBIDDEN PLANET
(1956, Fred Milcox)

In my opinion 50s sic-fi is one of the most interesting and fun genres to watch. The ideas were new and fresh, and they all had that B-movie low budget charm that I have come to love, and Forbidden Planet is the crθme de la crθme.

This was one of the first films of its time to send humans to space instead of aliens to earth, and it was done incredibly well. Most of the reason this was done so well was because of the incredible set design and special effects, most of witch even hold up today. The film follows a spacecraft travels to the distant planet Altair IV to discover the fate of a group of scientists sent there decades earlier. They find the brilliant Dr. Morbius, his daughter, and their helpful and lovable robot Robbie. A great part of this film is how well done the "science mumbo-jumbo" talk is used. I completely understood everything that was going on, instead of other sic-fi movies where I have no clue.

The thing I loved most about the film were the aforementioned sets, props, and SFX. The technology looked like something that would pass in modern sic-fi movies, and all of the scene with the monster were done perfectly. The only real problem I had was with the stiff action, especially from Leslie Neilson, but it was still fun to see one of my favorite comedic actors so much younger. The script was put together very well, and the story was fun and entertaining throughout.

Forbidden Planet is one of the greatest sic-fi movies of all time, let alone the 1950s. The movie was unique, fun, beautiful, and it defiantly paved the way for science fiction films in the future.

Dang! I was in Barnes and Nobles and they actually had this on Blu Ray... but I didn't have enough for it! I wanna try and save up some money to get it. I'd like to try to make a "Movie of the Month Collection" and try to get every movie that's nominated on Blu Ray. It may take a couple weeks but I'll try to get my hands on it soon!

_____ is the most important thing in my life…
Not my cup of tea. I can see the validity in the points that are made, but it was not entertaining. There is merit to being able to appreciate something because it is groundbreaking, but I don't choose to watch movies for that reason. The acting comes across very stilted and the film is like a play moving from set piece to set piece. In addition, the sound effects were unbearable at times.

It's great that this movie is significant, just not significantly enjoyable to me.

Not my cup of tea. I can see the validity in the points that are made, but it was not entertaining. There is merit to being able to appreciate something because it is groundbreaking, but I don't choose to watch movies for that reason. The acting comes across very stilted and the film is like a play moving from set piece to set piece. In addition, the sound effects were unbearable at times.

It's great that this movie is significant, just not significantly enjoyable to me.
I was going to ask what you thought of the "soundtrack."

I'd love to see this movie redistributed with a symphonic musical soundtrack instead of the maddening Moog sound effects. I think having appropriate music to set moods for the scenes could make an enormous difference in this film's "watchability."

For me, this otherwise classic example of motion picture sci-fi that is ahead of it's time is made very difficult to watch (or, more accurately, listen to) due to the soundtrack.

I was going to ask what you thought of the "soundtrack."
It was just too much. I don't know the history of the movie, but it's like an amateur guitar player that discovers a new effect and uses it for everything. Does it really fit? No. But I'm using it for everything regardless.

I gave it the ol' college try, December will be here in no time.

It was just too much. I don't know the history of the movie, but it's like an amateur guitar player that discovers a new effect and uses it for everything. Does it really fit? No. But I'm using it for everything regardless.

I gave it the ol' college try, December will be here in no time.
Excellent description and very accurate as the synthesizer was a new technology at that time and it seems they used it just as you described.

And the Moog definitely could have added a sci-fi feel at certain times, but to use it through the whole thing - whether it was a romantic scene, one of action, humor, impending danger, drama, grief - electronic noises don't convey any of those feelings, thus giving the film a droning, monotone feel.

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Alright. I watched the movie. I couldn't do it with Sinister (sorry, Derek), but I managed to get myself to watch Forbidden Planet and I can't say I'm disappointed. The film is pure escapist fun!

I saw you people talking about the soundtrack. I thought it was great. Too bad the filmmakers themselves treated it more as a novelty than actual soundtrack. After all, the credits at the beginning say "electronic tonalities" instead of soundtrack or music.

The unnatural colours give the movie a very nice look and all the pseudo-scientific trivia with Morbius explaining the alien machinery is as fascinating as it is naive. The robot is a great touch and it's thanks to him that we have so many other film robots (Elle in Starcrash is the best robot in a movie ever!).

The movie made me laugh once with the robot saying something like "Sorry Miss, I was giving myself an oil job.". Just imagine a scene, in which the girl can't stand the waiting and enters the robot's room and sees him giving himself the oil job. xD The robot is chill as f*ck and produces large amounts of booze for the cook and then they both enjoy it not giving a flying damn about a monster killing everyone just next to them. xD

Maybe it's my sick mind, but the fact that this doctor Morbius was all alone on the planet for so long with only his sexy daughter and no other living human beings made me think there might've been some kinky stuff going on, but since the girl didn't know much about kissing and stuff, this theory is futile. Well, maybe the daddy liked to get straight to the business, so she still didn't know what kissing is. But I feel like I'm getting too far here.

For me the last 15, or so, minutes are the weakest. They have way too much straight-in-your-face Freudian psychoanalysis. I don't think it's revolutionary, because filmmakers were high on Freud in the 40's, so the idea was already kinda overused by the 50's. Perhaps it's revolutionary in terms of the genre. Well, at least it's better than Spellbound. Bergman may be the only filmmaker who would put so much psychoanalysis in his films and yet not only get away with it, but also make masterpieces.

Anyway, Forbidden Planet is a fun film to watch.

Forbidden Planet review:

This is the first Sci-Fi movie from the 50's that I've seen. Coming into it, I tried my best to clear my head of all expectations since I really had no idea what to expect. I wanted to just take it all in as it went. At first, I was a little underwhelmed, but by the time it ended I realized that this movie was a work of genius.

I feel like I'm pretty good at watching movies with the idea that I'm watching it from the time it was made. When I watched it, tried not to compare it to 2001, Star Wars, Blade Runner or any other of the great science fiction films that came after. When the I saw the opening shot with the spaceship sailing through space, I was impressed with how believable it was. The ship, the starfield background, the massive planet they were heading to; there was nothing that I thought looked cheesy or dated.

Speaking of the effects, there was really nothing that I thought looked dated besides maybe the scene with the window shudders. I must say though, for a movie that came out in 1956, I found that very impressive. There was a ton of effects throughout the movie, and I actually liked the animated effects of many of the sci-fi elements.

The best part of the movie is definitely Robby the Robot. That's pretty much the popular opinion, but with good reason! He was the most unique character by far, and also served as the comedic relief. "Sorry Miss, I was giving myself an oil job." Was definitely the best line of the movie! I could definitely see how C3PO was influenced by some of Robby's characteristics. I actually saw quite a few elements from this movie that seemed like it influenced Star Wars, which was pretty neat to see.

If I had one major gripe, it would probably be the acting. It wasn't horrible but did seem pretty stiff. When the spaceship crew members were firing their laser guns it did look kinda ridiculous how wooden they were. I can kinda forgive this part of the movie though since this was when Sci-Fi was still in its infancy. It was neat seeing a young Leslie Nielson also!

I noticed that some people didn't like the soundtrack, I didn't have much of a problem with it. I thought it was neat that both the music and the sound effects kinda went together in many parts. Like I said with the acting, with the synthesizer still in its infancy I can't help but be a bit more forgiving with that element.

Lastly, the plot I thought was very well-done. It was told very well even if it did get a little heavy with the exposition. There was a slight stretch in the first half where I got a little uninterested but it quickly picked up afterwards. I must say, the climax of the film is not what I expected, and was pretty surprised with how it played. Trying my best not to spoil it, but it was something that I didn't think was very "sci-fi like" but thought was pretty cool. One thing that I always worried about when watching older movies is that they won't be a very exciting viewing experience. This film's ending proved me wrong on that account!

When I finished this film, I really saw just how groundbreaking it was. It had brilliant effects, set pieces, iconic characters, and endless elements that went on to influence pretty much every sci-fi film that came after. Thinking about it with a 2015 mind, I thought that it really held up and is a great and groundbreaking film. I really hope that other members give this one a shot cause it was one I probably never would have watched if it wasn't for Movie of the Month. Excellent choice Nope!!!

It's funny that you mentioned the window shutters, that is one of the most vivid images I remember thinking about this movie. I enjoyed the effects ^^^, especially when Robbie is approaching the crew after their initial landing. The dust trail effect left thinking what they did to create the effect. Namely how the trail didn't dissipate out, but almost seemed self-contained.

Excellent, excellent review False Writer!

I liked this line, "I feel like I'm pretty good at watching movies with the idea that I'm watching it from the time it was made. When I watched it, tried not to compare it to 2001, Star Wars, Blade Runner or any other of the great science fiction films that came after."

Good for you! I wish all MoFos could view a movie with the time frame of when it was made, in mind. I think people would enjoy older films more and they might understand why people like me love old films. Enjoyed reading all of your review. I just requested Forbidden Planet from my library and should be able to watch it soon.

I think the effects in FP were probably the most advanced looking in any sci-fi movie up until 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) came along. And the nice thing is the look of the film is very consistent throughout. Some may call it "dated," but a dated look can still be effective if it's consistent (if that makes any sense.) I guess what I'm trying to say is if, today, you wanted to make a film that evoked the feel of 1950's sci-fi, and still wanted it to look good, you'd make one that looks like Forbidden Planet.

I noticed that some people didn't like the soundtrack, I didn't have much of a problem with it. I thought it was neat that both the music and the sound effects kinda went together in many parts. Like I said with the acting, with the synthesizer still in its infancy I can't help but be a bit more forgiving with that element.
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but I don't remember ANY "music" in the soundtrack at all, only the synthesizer sounds. Which is why I always had a problem with the soundtrack. Are there any musical portions? A couple years ago I sent a link to Citizen Rules with the entire soundtrack on YouTube - I don't recall it having any musical portions.