MoFo 2015 Halloween Thread

→ in
Tools    

THE MoFo 2015 HALLOWEEN THREAD

My favorite holiday and time of year. To give this thread a fundamental structure, i'll watch and evaluate a horror movie from each decade starting with the 1920's~ leading up to Halloween. Open invitation to any and all MoFos to post about horror movies in here, or to simply come in and talk about anything Halloween related~ spooky Halloween decorations, memories of your favorite Halloween costume, (mine was when one year i wore a scream mask with a hoodie sweatshirt), what do you like better~ witches? ghosts? hobgoblins?, favorite Halloween candy, and anything else.
Let terror be turned into a treat

THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (1925)

1920's Horror

A masked ghost haunts the opera house in Paris, a self-educated musician and master of the black arts. The phantom's eye falls upon Christine Daaé, a backup singer to the illustrious star of the opera house, Mademoiselle Carlotta. The ghost conspires to elevate Christine to the starring role in the upcoming production of Faust, warning Carlotta of disastrous consequences to her career if she interferes. In secret, the phantom inspires young and innocent Christine with deeper and more powerful sound. It's a well setup story, the first thirty minutes are really strong. As the story continues, the phantom's character becomes more desperate and obsessive for Christine. Which was slightly disappointing, i mean, the friggin Phantom of the Opera has sex appeal~ or maybe that's the Gerard Butler version. Still, Lon Chaney plays a Phantom with dimension, his grotesque nature underscored by a lonely menace. And, the first real icon of horror movies.. perhaps
My dear managers,
The role of Marguerite shall be sung again tomorrow evening by Christine Daaé, instead of Carlotta ~The Phantom
P.S. If you refuse this, you will present Faust in a house with a curse on it

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

Master of My Domain
Hey MoFos !

What 1920's horror movies do you like ?
The one and only Cabinet or Dr. Caligari!

I've been thinking we need a MoFo Halloween Party / Costume Ball thread eventually.

I've been thinking we need a MoFo Halloween Party / Costume Ball thread eventually.
a new thread works, or in here. This won't be an actual Halloween thread without a lot of SexyCelebrity influence. otherwise my nostrodamus crystal ball tells me it'll turn into just me reviewing one movie from each decade. which is cool, i'm ready. I think it can be more than that though

That's a great version of Phantom. In fact, I think it's the only one I've seen all the way through. For those who've not seen it, I'd recommend The Hunchback of Notre Dame, too. Another where the silent version is the only one I've seen all the way through.

Save the Texas Prairie Chicken
That's a great version of Phantom.
For me, the reason I think it is the best version of "The Phantom of the Opera" is because I think it is the closest to the original novel. The book is one of my top favorites.

My favourite Halloween costume was when i was 5 or something and i dressed as Disneys Hercules, Ginger wig, headband, brown/orange dress thing, i had it all! Looking at pictures now i looked so ridiculous, having a pretty normal childhood i think that is one of the few instances i can point to neglect, no way i should have been allowed to wear that

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I had a great Halloween costume all planned out this year, but it turned out to be pretty expensive and I'm not going to spend a lot of cash on something I'll wear only the one time. I was going to go as Walter White from Breaking Bad, get a hazmat suit and a breathing mask. I already have a goatee, and I could wear my reading glasses. But it all came to too much to justify. I might just be Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I could wear my PJ's and bathrobe all day and say it's a costume.

But anyway, I've been on a Halloween/Horror movie binge. So far I've watched:

Trick 'r' Treat
Halloween
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Howling
Sweeney Todd
The Corpse Bride

And this weekend, I'm going to see Danzig in concert, as well as meet George Romero and PJ Soles at a horror movie convention.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

DR JEKYLL & MR HYDE (1931)

1930's Horror

London full of fog, setting boundaries for vision. Dr. Henry Jekyll, brilliant doctor, scientist, & scholar, seeks into the mysteries of soul.. believing man is not truly one, but two. One striving for nobility, respectability, the other satisfying desires binding the self to a dim animal relation with the earth. Yet the two are chained together into one lifeforce. Jekyll wants to separate the two, liberate the primal side to fulfill itself, and trouble him no more. Meanwhile Jekyll is engaged to the lovely Muriel Carew, daughter of the brigadier general. A distinguished man of the old guard who's not interested in rushing a marriage. Only sending Jekyll further into his mysteries with the unknown... becoming Mr. Hyde. Where he soon meets a more promiscuous girl~ Champagne Ivy. While the opportunity is there for a great film, stemming from Robert Louis Stevenson's novel, the Mr Hyde bits come across quite over the top. May be the point they're going for, although i'm not convinced they nailed it. The Dr. Jekyll parts are far more sharp

A difficult choice to pick one with the 1930's, opted for one i've not seen. and going forward, won't necessarily pick a film thinking "greatest horror film of the decade" or whatnot. i'll tend more towards what seems interesting and a bit less discussed. Ended up liking this better than most 30's horror i've seen. May like Dracula better, and perhaps the Invisible Man. There's a good story and conversation hidden in this film, duality of man, better intentions vs a pure inner drive. Even if the Mr Hyde we see here may not embody that primal nature in its truest sense

Rating:
+ 7.5 / 10

I had a great Halloween costume all planned out this year, but it turned out to be pretty expensive and I'm not going to spend a lot of cash on something I'll wear only the one time. I was going to go as Walter White from Breaking Bad, get a hazmat suit and a breathing mask. I already have a goatee, and I could wear my reading glasses. But it all came to too much to justify. I might just be Arthur Dent from Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, I could wear my PJ's and bathrobe all day and say it's a costume.

But anyway, I've been on a Halloween/Horror movie binge. So far I've watched:

Trick 'r' Treat
Halloween
The Rocky Horror Picture Show
The Howling
Sweeney Todd
The Corpse Bride

And this weekend, I'm going to see Danzig in concert, as well as meet George Romero and PJ Soles at a horror movie convention.
sounds fun ! any thoughts or ratings Monkeypunch

nobody seems to be into this right now, oh well. just gonna keep posting in here anyways. when i was little i remember this one house in my neighborhood that had a witch in a rocking chair with a cackling sound box, it was memorable. Wish i had a picture so i could see it again. Decorate your MoFo yard

MoFo Halloween Props and Layout Shop

THE WOLF MAN (1941)

1940's Horror

If you hear him howling around your kitchen door, better not let him in, little old lady got mutilated late last night, werewolves of London again. according to an old legend which persists in certain localities, victims of lycanthropy assume physical characteristics of wolf-men. A small village near Talbot Castle claims to have had gruesome experiences with the supernatural creature. A practical man named Larry Talbot's returning to his father's estate after eighteen years overseas. Shortly thereafter he notices the gorgeous girl across the street working at an antique shop. That night they go see the fortune teller gypsies, who pass through here every autumn... and are soon attacked by a creature of folklore

An ole wolf film for the 40's, breeze of a film to watch. And where many werewolf tropes spring from. All-star 30's and 40's horror cast with Claude Rains and Bela Lugosi, Lon Chaney Jr's the monster by moonlight, the eerie gypsy Maleva tells witch's tales and drives her lit carriage by night. fogged forests, gothic crypts, and gypsy encampment form a nice autumn atmosphere. The Wolf Man is the only Universal monster to be played by the same actor through all its 1940's appearances, this was Lon Chaney Jr's 'baby.' In 2001 Heavy metal band Iced Earth released a track on their Horror Show album called 'Wolf,' reciting the wolfsbane poem. Just a rockstar cool classic horror film
Have you forgotten? Takes a silver bullet for a werewolf

Rating:
8.0 / 10

a new thread works, or in here. This won't be an actual Halloween thread without a lot of SexyCelebrity influence. otherwise my nostrodamus crystal ball tells me it'll turn into just me reviewing one movie from each decade. which is cool, i'm ready. I think it can be more than that though
I love Halloween, and it's my favorite holiday. I will post pictures of our decorations, etc . . . in here, in time. I would love to post in here a lot more, but I'm so dang busy with the Halloween music thread.

Anyways, I've been finding numerous, great Halloween pictures. I always set up desktops and screensavers, to match the holidays. Here are a very few . . .

Anyways, "I'll be right back!"