My Favorite Katharine Hepburn Performances

Tools    

Her offbeat beauty and her extraordinary acting talent allowed her to make a film seem a lot better than it really was. The following are my favorite performances by the amazing Katharine Hepburn:

Jo March, Little Women (1933)

It seems like this story is remade for the screen every twenty years or so, but Hepburn's performance continues to make this earliest version something special.

Terry Randall, Stage Door

Hepburn shared the screen with a lot of young starlets here (including Ginger Rogers, Ann Miller, Eve Arden, and Lucille Ball) but still dominates the proceedings as an aspiring actress who sometimes can't control her ego or her talent.

Rose Sayer, The African Queen

Bogart may have won the Oscar, but Hepburn more than holds her own as the prim and proper missionary way out of her element on a dangerous journey.

Violet Venable, Suddenly Last Summer

Hepburn chews scenery without straining credibility in this riveting film version of a classic Tennessee Williams play.

Pat Pemberton, Pat and Mike

Hepburn was allowed to show off her athletic prowess in this fun comedy and I think that's one of the reasons she appears to be having so much fun here.

Jessica Medlicott, Love Among the Ruins

Hepburn lit up the screen and won an Emmy for her performance as an aging actress who hires an attorney (Laurence Olivier) to defend her in a breach of promise suit without realizing the legal eagle is also an ex-lover.

Lizzie Curry, The Rainmaker

No one played "lonely spinster" better than Hepburn and she really shines here, aided with a charismatic leading man in the form of Burt Lancaster delivering one of his best performances as well.

Amanda Wingfield, The Glass Menagerie

Rarely has there been a more perfect marriage of actress and character than when Hepburn took the leading role in this TV production of the Tennessee Williams classic.

Tess Harding, Woman of the Year

Hepburn delivered an Oscar-nominated performance and created one half of one of the greatest onscreen couples in movie history, that also blossomed into a forbidden offscreen romance as Spencer Tracy was married.

Bunny Watson, Desk Set

Hepburn appears to be having a ball here as the head of a television research department who fears an efficiency expert (Spencer Tracy) is trying to have her and her staff replaced by a computer.

Jane Hudson, Summertime

Hepburn gave another lovely Oscar-nominated performance as a lonely schoolteacher who vacations in Venice and finds romance with a sexy Italian (Rossano Brazzi).

Ethel Thayer, On Golden Pond

Hepburn and Henry Fonda created movie magic and both won Oscars as an elderly couple at their summer vacation home who are challenged when asked by their daughter (Jane Fonda) to care for her future stepson (Doug McKeon) for the summer. I think Hepburn's fourth Oscar win was largely sentimental, but it is a lovely performance nonetheless.

Susan Vance, Bringing up Baby

Hepburn first revealed her skill at slapstick comedy and her undeniable chemistry with Cary Grant in this classic that was the primary inspiration for the 1972 comedy What's up, Doc?.

Amanda Bonner, Adam's Rib

Hepburn hits all the right notes playing one of cinema's premier feminist characters...Amanda is a married lawyer who decides to defend a woman (Judy Holliday) accused of shooting her husband in defense of "the unwritten law" and why it only seems to apply to men. Tracy and Hepburn are magical here.

Christina Drayton, Guess Who's Coming to Dinner?

Hepburn won her 2nd Oscar for her final teaming with Spencer Tracy as parents who are rocked to learn their daughter (Katharine Houghton) wants to marry a black man (Sidney Poitier).

This thread made me realize that I haven't seen enough Katharine Hepburn movies.
Well, get on it, you've missed a lot of good stuff over the years...Hepburn was amazing.

Eva Lovelace, Morning Glory

Hepburn's performance as a stagestruck actress won her her first Oscar...as a matter of fact, the remake was titled Stagestruck.