Leo Dicaprio and the Oscar

Tools    

Was just doing a podcast and a question came up about why DiCaprio hasn't won an Oscar.
Any theories? I'm thinking he just hasn't been approachable yet, as his characters are more spectacle than inviting. Appreciate any opinions.

I have to return some videotapes.
The reason would probably be that the judges do not think he's given the best performance of the year.

The reason would probably be that the judges do not think he's given the best performance of the year.
This. There's no deeper conspiracy. McConaughey and Foxx were fairly judged by the majority that they were the best performance of that year. Both of his Golden Globe wins were in a category that the Oscar winner wasn't competing in.

Personally I would have given Leo my vote against Foxx, i just checked and I think that year is one of the few times I've seen each nominated performance. Can't comment on Mcconaugheu since I've yet to see Dallas Buyers Club, but as much as I love Wolf and Leo in it, I woudve voted for Bruce Dern in Nebraska.

Master of My Domain
Some of the best actors/directors are ones who haven't won anything, and/or died without getting much recognition. I think that's exactly Leo's case, although the way he defies laws of chance is baffling.

Leo has done Oscar-worthy work and I really believe one of the reasons he doesn't have an Oscar is way back in 1997 when Leo wasn't nominated for Titanic and then refused to be a presenter at the 1998 ceremony. The Academy has elephantine memories and when they feel they have been dissed in anyway, they can hold a grudge. The man should have won for The Departed and wasn't even nominated for that performance...hello!

Welcome to the human race...
Yeah, because The Departed is overrated. That being said, I don't know why the powers that be thought that Wahlberg gave the most nomination-worthy performance in that film. Easily the most irritating character in a cast full of them.

For my money he should have won for Catch Me If You Can and Django Unchained. The year he was nominated for Catch Me If You Can I don't remember the nominees but I still think it's his best performance/movie. Then to not even be nominated for Django was sort of a joke to me. Him and Sam L. Jackson were more memorable supporting characters then Waltz's to me. Wlatz did a fine job but we aren't going be talking about his character 15 years down the road like Leo's.

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Welcome to the human race...
For my money he should have won for Catch Me If You Can and Django Unchained. The year he was nominated for Catch Me If You Can I don't remember the nominees but I still think it's his best performance/movie. Then to not even be nominated for Django was sort of a joke to me. Him and Sam L. Jackson were more memorable supporting characters then Waltz's to me. Wlatz did a fine job but we aren't going be talking about his character 15 years down the road like Leo's.
I looked up that year's nominees and he was up against Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, Nicolas Cage, and Adrien Brody (who ended up winning for The Pianist). I haven't watched Catch Me If You Can in a long time so I remember next to nothing about it, let alone DiCaprio delivering his best performance. I think I preferred him in the same year's Gangs of New York - while he was definitely overshadowed by Day-Lewis, the fact that he held his own against such a towering performance was still rather impressive. Unfortunately, I didn't think there was anything special about his Django performance - it never felt convincing, it just felt like he was going through his usual bag of Serious Acting tricks (bright-eyed charmer, furrowed-brow angst, gritted-teeth anger, etc.) but with a deep-fried Southern accent sprinkled over the top to distinguish it. I only talk about it now to point out how fundamentally bland a character he played with all his heart but still couldn't pull off (perhaps a badly-written character more so than a badly-acted one?) That being said, I didn't think too much of Waltz either - he definitely earned the Oscar for playing a Bavarian rogue in Basterds, but he more or less repeated that with his work in Django so that second win felt far less deserved.

I looked up that year's nominees and he was up against Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, Nicolas Cage, and Adrien Brody (who ended up winning for The Pianist). I haven't watched Catch Me If You Can in a long time so I remember next to nothing about it, let alone DiCaprio delivering his best performance. I think I preferred him in the same year's Gangs of New York - while he was definitely overshadowed by Day-Lewis, the fact that he held his own against such a towering performance was still rather impressive. Unfortunately, I didn't think there was anything special about his Django performance - it never felt convincing, it just felt like he was going through his usual bag of Serious Acting tricks (bright-eyed charmer, furrowed-brow angst, gritted-teeth anger, etc.) but with a deep-fried Southern accent sprinkled over the top to distinguish it. I only talk about it now to point out how fundamentally bland a character he played with all his heart but still couldn't pull off (perhaps a badly-written character more so than a badly-acted one?) That being said, I didn't think too much of Waltz either - he definitely earned the Oscar for playing a Bavarian rogue in Basterds, but he more or less repeated that with his work in Django so that second win felt far less deserved.
DiCaprio wasn't nominated for Catch Me if You Can.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
He lists the five who were nominated. MovieBuffering may have thought Leo was.
I looked up that year's nominees and he was up against Daniel Day-Lewis, Jack Nicholson, Michael Caine, Nicolas Cage, and Adrien Brody (who ended up winning for The Pianist).

The man should have won for The Departed and wasn't even nominated for that performance...hello!
That was actually partly Leo's own decision, if I'm not mistaken. He refused to run against his co-stars in the supporting role category and the studio wanted to push his leading role in Blood Diamond for the Oscar (which he did get nominated for).

Anyway, not that I really care that much, but I think he'll have a good chance at winning this year for The Revenant. Are there any other huge male leading roles that already have as much oscar buzz?

DiCaprio was superb in Django Unchained, one of his top 3 performances IMO.

Looks like he's the favourite for it this year though. Haven't seen the Revenant yet so can't comment, but if I was solely responsible for the Oscars I would've given him the Supporting award for Django. People say The Aviator was a worthy performance too, but I can't remember it.
What annoys me though is the huge campaign by people acting as if he's the only person to ever suffer a snub. Gets on my nerves, and I would laugh if Fassbender pipped him this year for Steve Jobs.

I have to agree that his performances in Catch Me If You Can and Django Unchained were brilliant.