The 3rd Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
The Shorts HoF was the first Special Hall of Fame created on MoFo, last year! Since then we had two editions:

Mofo Hall of Fame - The Shorts Editon

2nd Mofo Short Film Hall of Fame

To continue this great tradition created by Godoggo, I hereby declare open the 3rd Edition of the Mofo Short Film Hall of Fame.

The rules are similar to the previous edition:

1. Any movie with less than 45 minutes can be nominated, except of course the winners of the previous editions: La Jetée and Harvie Krumpet.

You have till July 31st to send your nomination. The duration of this HoF depends on how many people are joining. I'll give 1 week per two films. As we have 11 participants, the deadline for watching all the Shorts and sending the ordered list is September 7th.

You can send me your nominations by private message, with the title, year, director and, if you want, some words explaining your choice. Please do not reveal your nomination on this thread before everyone.

You can send your list as soon as you watched all the shorts but I'd recommend waiting for the final week because some interesting discussion may appear and opinions can be changed!

I recently created the Rate the Last Short You Saw thread, so people can post there and maybe suggest some shorts to other people.

And the nominees are:

Le Voyage dans la lune
a.k.a. A Trip to the Moon (George Méliès, 1902) - Nominated by Nope1172

Nuit et Bruillard
a.k.a. Night & Fog (Alain Resnais, 1955) - Nominated by Sane

The most powerful 32 minutes I've ever seen.

Pas de Deux
(Norman McLaren, 1968) - Nominated by Neiba

Pas de deux is a ballet term for a dance duet, usually between a man and a woman and that's what this is filmis about. One of the most visually astonishing shorts I've ever seen.

Youtube link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=9bXWWz5Tv_I

Skazka Skazok a.k.a. Tale of Tales (Yuriy Norshteyn, 1979) - Nominated by Friendly Mushroom

It's a beautiful tale about the hardships of Russia during WWII and the aftermath. One of my favorite arthouse films.

Kanojo no omoide a.k.a. Magnetic Rose (Kôji Morimoto, 1995) - Nominated by Guaporense

Satoshi Kon's best movie wasn't a feature, well, it's borderline.

Guard Dog (Bill Plympton, 2004) – Nominated by Cobpyth

I'm not expecting this nomination to win at all, but I hope it leaves at least some people a little interested in the rest of Bill Plympton's work.

Interior Design (Michel Gondry, 2008) - Nominated by Kaplan

It is the first short featured in the film Tokyo!, three short films taking place in Japan by non-Japanese filmmakers, and it is one of my very favorite short films, and one of the best examples on film of the type of magic realism I adore.

Eu não quero voltar sozinho a.k.a. I Don't Want to Go Back Alone (Daniel Ribeiro, 2010) - Nominated by Thursday Next

A Brazilian short film about a blind student called Leo and his relationships with his best friend Giovana and new boy Gabriel. This film was made into a feature length film called (in English) The Way He Looks (2014), which was Brazil's entry for 2015 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar.

Elefante (Pablo Larcuen, 2011) – Nominated by donniedarko

Two & Two
(Babak Anvari, 2011) – Nominated by AlexWilder

Very simple in its construct and content, very powerful and thought provoking in its idea . A Must See !

Ashes
(Apichatpong Weerasethakul, 2012) - Nominated by Daniel M

I remember when I watched "Uncle Boonmee Who Can Recall His Past Lives", the first and so far only feature film I've seen from Weerasethakul. It was late at night and I had it recorded, I had no idea what to expect. The film was slow, meditative and quite frankly, weird, but I was hypnotised. I sat there, staring at the screen, there was blissful peace to the whole thing that really seemed to move me. Why I haven't watched any more films from the director? I'm not quite sure. I watched "Unlce Boonmee" by chance relatively early on in my film watching days, and it's one of the best experiences I have had. Perhaps I'm a little afraid too challenge my memories of it. "Ashes" gave me the chance to remind myself just why I loved "Uncle Boonmee", again a chance opportunity, I guess, at only twenty minutes long. I'll admit I was a little unsure whether I would enjoy it, with the slow frame rate footage immediately hitting my eyes. But as I continued to watch I once again got pulled in to a trance of sorts, fascinated by the experimental mixture of different footage, sounds, and thoughts, a commentary on not only Thailand (the opportunity to explore a new culture through film is fascinating) but life in general... memories... dreams.

Woody Allen is a pedophille
A Trip to the Moon (1902)
Nominated by Nope1172
Rating:

Night & Fog (1955)
Nominated by Sane
Rating:
+

Pas de Deux (1968)
Nominated by Neiba
Rating:
-

Tale of Tales (1979)
Nominated by Friendly Mushroom!
Rating:

Magnetic Rose (1995)
Nominated by Guaporense
Rating:

Guard Dog (2004)
Nominated by Cobpyth
Rating:
-

Interior Design (2008)
Nominated by Kaplan
Rating:
-

I Don't Want to Go Back Alone (2010)
Nominated by Thursday Next
Rating:

Elefante (2011)
Nominated by donniedarko
Rating:

Two & Two (2011)
Nominated by AlexWilder
Rating:
+

Ashes (2012)
Nominated by Daniel M
Rating:

Sent in the most accessible nomination possible, it doesn't contain any traces of otaku culture and is more popular in the West than in Japan. Also, one of the few horror animations that actually scared me.

So now you can actually figure out what it is, isn't it?

- Horror
- Animation
- Short
- Japanese but not otaku
- more popular in the west than in Japan

This narrows it down to one possibility.

We have 10 participants so far, with just one more day till it starts! I can assure you I know some of the shorts nominated so far and we have really great stuff!

Sorry for my bad English :p
i can't wait for it to start ! i've become really interested in shorts since i joined this HoF, i saw 20-30 shorts in the last 5 or 6 days.

That's the whole point! I'm glad it's making a difference! If you saw anything worth sharing, you can post your thoughts on the Rate the Last Short You Saw thread!

Sent my nomination. I don't expect this one to win (or even do great) at all, but even if only one person likes it and explores its director because of it, I'll be glad.