Jurassic World

→ in
Tools    

Wow. What a surprise.

When I first heard of a Jurassic Park sequel a while back, I was thinking "Why is this even necessary?", and I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking this. The constant sequels and reboots can be quite tiring these days since there are so many of them. But, I've been rather bored lately with this summer's releases, so I figured I might as well see Jurassic World. I liked the first 3 films well enough, and who doesn't want to see giant dinosaurs wreaking havoc for 2 hours? So, I went. And not only did Jurassic World meet my expectations, it far surpassed them.

Jurassic World takes place 22 years after the events of the first 3 films. The original park is almost a taboo, it's considered to be in bad taste to even speak of it in the film. Now, the island has taken in a much larger crowd of people, rather than just a select few like the first 3 films. Now, it is a theme park. Thousands of people at a time. They really captured the theme park feeling in this film. It feels like a real place and a legitimate theme park. Anybody who has been to a large theme park can relate, and it all feels very realistic. But, in recent years, theme park attendance numbers have been dropping. The people are tired of seeing the same dinosaurs over and over again. So, they create a new dinosaur. And of course, mayhem ensues. I don't want to give away too much, it's better to experience the thrills without knowing what's going to happen. So that's all I'll say about that.

The characters in Jurassic World are good, especially Claire (Bryce Dallas Howard). Claire specifically stands out because she changes a lot during the course of the film. She makes many important decisions that effect the story, and you can tell sometimes that she's in conflict with herself about what to do. It works very well, and Bryce Dallas Howard did a great job with it too.

Next is Chris Pratt's character, Owen. I don't want to give away too much about his character, but let's just say that he's badass. He's a great hero to root for, and in this role Chris Pratt proves that he can deliver in comedy, drama, and action. Pratt reminded me of John Mclane in this film, and it makes me wonder, could Chris Pratt pull off a Die Hard reboot?

Ty Simpkins plays Gray, the younger of the two brothers in the film. Simpkins did a good job, especially since he's a child actor, but he never particularly blew me away, and neither did his character.

Nick Robinson plays Zach, the older sibling of Gray. This character felt like a total mess to me. For a good half of the film, this character was not likable at all. For some reason the filmmakers wanted him to be despicable for a lot of the movie, but I think they took it too far. They went so far into making him unlikable in the first half,that when they revealed his redeemable qualities it felt forced and unrealistic. The actor who played Zach did fine, I just didn't like his character.

Vincent D'Onofrio plays a cartoony villain named Hoskins. This character was a lot of fun, and D'Onofrio did a great job with it. It's always fun to root against a villain like this.

Jurassic World is a great addition to the other 3 films, but there's one thing that it lacks: the sense of isolation. In the first 3 films, there was a great sense of isolation on the island, and that's what made them so scary. It was always a small amount of people on the island, and it brought the suspense and tension to an all time high. Jurassic World certainly isn't as scary as the old films, but it is much more thrilling. You would think that sacrificing suspense for action would be a bad idea, but it actually works. Seeing the large scale mayhem on the big screen is great, and the dinosaurs look better than ever. I was completely satisfied by the time the movie was over. Jurassic World is full of delightful surprises. You'll laugh, you'll gasp, and you will have a great time. I know I did. It has a few flaws, but those are pretty easy to overlook when you're having this much fun.

Fire walk with me.

Jurassic world IMAX 3D

Two decades after 'Jurassic park' comes 'Jurassic world'---and the time lag between the 3rd instalment of the movie and the fourth has helped in increasing the excitement of the genre all over again...and the change of name from 'park' to 'world' has helped in that too...

The theme is the same---of a giant zoo where dinosaurs are genetically bred , and how man's interference with nature can lead to catastrophic consequences . Thankfully the movie does not get too preachy about that...it's not meant to.

So two young brothers are sent by their parents to enjoy their holiday with their aunt....but the aunt is not really interested in them ( except in sending them back safe and sound to their parents , a mammoth task in itself because of the mayhem that is to be unleashed in the park...err world ) for she is the park/world's operations manager and is too busy in the task of creating newer dino-marvels to keep the visitors interested .

The park is a marvel in itself , with children getting to ride on the backs of the more docile dinosaurs and boat rides through lakes full of aquatic dinosaurs and vehicle rides through lush green terrain containing land living dinosaurs . The star attractions are the bigger carnivores of course , like the Tyrranosaurus rex and a genetically modified larger version of it along with a huge aquatic dinosaur that dwarfs everything else .

Needless to say , I was greedily looking for trouble to break out in this pseudoparadise as was rest of the audience . And trouble did break out , with one of the giant carnivores tricking it's controllers and breaking out into the open...but not without taking a deadly toll on human life....

And do I even have to say that aunt and kids and her admirer ( who is the hero of the film ) get caught up in the mayhem , and that saving their lives seems to be the main concern of the director....lives of countless others that are lost be damned , but the lead actors must remain alive....

Countless others are killed because escape of one dinosaur unleashes a chain of events whereby others of the same ilk also find freedom to start a carnage....from small but deadly velociraptors to flying dinosaurs , all of them join the hunt for human flesh....

The dinosaurs of the carnivore kind look menacing , radiating evil not only from their gleaming sharp teeth but also from their eyes which are forever looking for more prey....and the expressions on their faces radiate death , horrible death....
And they all look real , as if they have been photographed in the wild by photographers of Animal planet or National geographic---full marks to the creators on this one .

But it all looks too easy....I mean the escape of the dinosaurs into the open....how come all the high tech security fails all too easily in containing them , and how come the dinos can unleash such carnage with such ridiculous ease....looks all fake compared to the original 'Jurassic park' part one---for me at least that will remain the best of the series . Maybe Steven Spielberg should be at the helm instead of just overseeing the film....

Anyway , photography is splendid---of the vast natural bounty of the park , and some of the action scenes have been superbly picturised . But in the end the action turns into sheer carnage as a great deal of destruction happens , and some of it is slightly repetitive . Music is nothing special though 3D effects are decent . Of course , the film has enough for kids to enjoy and even adults to savour---especially if the adults are the kids' parents .

As an Indian , I was pleased to see Indian Bollywood actor Irfan Khan in the film---but it promptly turned into disappointment . Irfan hasn't acted well , and the way he spoke in english was not too great . Actually he is good actor in Bollywood movies , but his acting here was only so so .

Should a fifth instalment of the 'Jurassic' movies come ?? Why not....it's still fun to see the huge reptiles in action....so ugly and creepy are these creatures that the sheer ugliness and creepiness instils fear into the human mind . The sight of these horrible creatures opening their mouths wide to eat up a living being is still awesome , and the thud of their feet is terrifying in dolby digital sound....

Verdict---Good .

Jurassic World
Colin Trevorrow

"Monster is a relative term.
To a canary,a cat is a monster.
We're just used to being the cat"

Universal Pictures pulled out his magic box once again and gathered a horde of extinct dinosaurs,which are resurrected with the use of some scientific tricks, on the big screen.Looking at the box office (apparently almost $ 1 billion),it seems like everyone was eagerly looking forward to seeing those prehistoric mastodons rumbling around again.Although some scientists were so quick off the mark to prove that some things don't correspond to reality (not all dinosaurs lived in the Jura era,the velociraptors weren't bigger than a turkey and were covered with feathers,the mosquito from which the DNA was extracted, didn't suck blood and the mosasaur wasn't so big as it's portrayed),it's still a lot of fun.I was ready to be overwhelmed and before I knew it,I was looking at the bottom of my bag of popcorn,which is a good sign and a reliable value indicator when it comes to the entertainment content of a feature film.

After the amazing and impressive Jurassic Park in 1993 (Damn,that's 22 years ago),two lousy sequels were released for the Dino-crazy public. Unlike the first film,of which I can recall large parts as if I saw it yesterday,I barely can remember anything of the two successors.And let's not mention the awful rip offs that were subsequently thrown on the market (recently I gave "Jurassic City" a chance and already dropped off after 10 minutes due to lousy special effects).In "Jurassic World" they returned to the successful formula of the well-known theme park.Only now it's not an empty amusement park,which should be approved by a select group of scientists,but a crowded park where the owners want to add a new attraction.But again the end result is less attractive and cozy.It's perfectly summed up by the words of Ian Malcolm (Jeff Goldblum) in "The Lost World" : "Yeah.Ooh and ah, that's how it always starts.But then later there's running and screaming".

The two teenagers Gray and Zach,the first one is a dinosaur fanatic and the second one has more interest in the opposite sex,are on their way to the amusement park of InGen,where their aunt Claire works as a operations manager.Of course,the latter doesn't have time to babysit and she leaves them in the hands of her assistant Zara.To ensure the income of the park and meet the demands of the main sponsors,the small army of geneticists fabricated a hybrid version which would be even more frightening than the existing species.They use the genes of prehistoric predators and contemporary species.The owner of the park wants Owen Grady,the Velociraptor trainer,to check the enclosure of the hybrid.And soon Owen comes to the conclusion that once again they are playing with fire.

Is "Jurassic World" an impressive film? Yep. Did the special effects and computer animation make me drool again ? Yep. Are those fearsome dinosaurs overwhelming again ? Yep. Did it exceed the first film ? Uh, actually not quite. What makes this film memorable ? Well, the park itself for starters. A sort of Disneyland but with unparalleled attractions. The monorails, the infrastructure, the holographic displays and the overall total picture were impressive. The mosasaur was the masterpiece of this film. Superbly imaged. Both the physical appearance as his natural living space. The "gyrospheres" and the accompanying scenery is the first attraction I would like to try out. The action-packed part at the pterosaurs cage was breathtaking. But the rest of the used scenes showed similarities with the first film. A park where the situation turns out to be life threatening. Again a couple (who had a thing in the past most probably) need to bring two teenagers in safety while they are surrounded by dangerous prehistoric creatures. Even Claire imitated the dress of Dr. Sattler at one time: an unbuttoned shirt over a T-shirt.

What I didn't get while watching "Jurassic World", were shivers down my spine and goosebumps moments. Emotionally, I don't think there'll ever be another movie (with prehistoric monsters) that surpasses the experience I had while watching "Jurassic Park". When Dr. Grant turned around,peered over the valley where different prehistoric species wandered around and said "Look at that. It's a dinosaur.", my hair stood straight up. When the T-Rex left his cage and started chasing the jeep and you could see the gaping mouth approaching in the rear-view mirror. The raptors sneaking through the kitchen with two teenagers scared to death. These are all particular moments I've missed in "Jurassic World". Yes, it was terribly exciting and impressive to see. But that subtle difference was there anyway. I also missed a character like Jeff Goldblum with his dry humor and pertinent observations. And then of course the charismatic dreamer John Hammond (Richard Attenborough), who saw a fantasy collapsing. In some ways it was all there, but it didn't feel the same way.

But forget about my nitpicking and hurry to a cinema to watch this two-hour action packed, exciting and entertaining film. The success of "Jurassic World" is its link with the first movie and the overall nostalgic value. You can add the question "How did you feel after watching Jurassic Park?" to the long line of historical questions such as "Where were you when Kennedy was shot ?" And "What were you doing when the radio broad-casted Elvis passed away ?". "Jurassic Park" had a major influence on films that appeared after wards. My main conclusion is that "Jurassic Park" was far ahead when it's about CGI, because the creations at that time looked as lifelike as those in "Jurassic World". But I am quite convinced that I'll never set foot in such a park, would it ever exist in reality ...

PS. Funniest moment for me : pay attention to what a visitor does during the pterosaurs attack ... Yes, he saves two cocktails ! I almost choked on my coke!

there already a thread on this movie for reviews---
Ooops sorry. Just new here. I'll try to keep an eye on that !

Good whiskey make jackrabbit slap de bear.
I liked the first three Jurassic Park movies and unsurprisingly I liked this one, but it has the same problem that the other sequels have. In the first one Spielberg convinced me that I was watching living, breathing dinosaurs that did things they did because they were animals, whereas in all of these sequels, they're just Godzilla-type monsters hell-bent on killing and destroying.

Also, I've had enough of the jungle. Four movies in and they can't think of anywhere better than the damn jungle.

'Jurassic World' Review

Was anyone else freaked out when they first saw Dinosaurs on the big screen? Not adorable Land Before Time-style Dinosaurs... but aggressive, big, angry dinosaurs that are actively hunting humans? I was a kid when I first saw the original Jurassic Park film-- and it did a fantastic job of both filling my head with wonder, and then scaring the living **** out of me. The subsequent Jurassic films, quite honestly, failed to live up to the original...and honestly, how often do sequels and three-quals really match up to the originals? I have yet to figure out whether it due to the fact that sequels are inherently less awe-inspiring because, well, they're not the original. Most people do not care who the second people to land on the moon were or the third for that matter-- because, hey, thats already been done. It could also be an issue of expectations... we love a film so much and build it up in our heads so much that nothing would live up. Or it could also be that the people making, said sequel, are just trying to cash in on the popularity of the first film (like Hangover 2 or 2Fast 2Furious). I have noticed, however, that given enough time, or enough sequels, and the films generally start getting back on track (The Fast and Furious or Mission Impossible Franchises are fantastic examples of this..they find their style--their niche and go for it). And that is what has happened, or so it appears, with the Jurassic franchise with their newest installment. Jurassic World is the film we have been waiting for and, while it is not as good as the original, it is the best sequel to date.

Synopsis

22 years after the events, and failure, of the original Jurassic Park, the new and improved luxury resort named Jurassic World is about to unveil its newest attraction: The Indominus Rex. Whenever the park unveils a new attraction, attendance for the park skyrocketed, and this newest attraction is their best yet. It is their first genetically modified and original dinosaur that is a combination of a few different dinos. While showing possible investors the new dinosaur, Claire Dearing, the park director, also has her nephews visiting for the week.

The owner of the park believes that the Indominus Rex could be dangerous and decides to have Owen Grady (Chris Pratt) take a look at the dino and its enclosure to make sure it is safe before unveiling the beast. Claire, reluctantly, agrees and bring him over to the dinosaur. Owen suggests that the IndRex could be very dangerous because it has not grown up around other dinosaurs and lacks any sort of social structure. He is proven right moments later, when he sees scratch marks along the inside of the IndRex's enclosure, suggesting that it escaped. This was a trap set up by the dino, however, and it attempts to eat everyone who went to check on it and escape through the massive doors located at the front of its habitat that are left open.

It escapes and a tragic chain of event happens in which many of the other dinosaurs go crazy and start attacking the people in the resort. Literally, Pterodactylus try to kill all the humans in an aerial assault at one point. The nephews, rather, than follow the rules, have gone off somewhere landing themselves in a world of trouble and it us up to Owen and his trained velociraptor to take down the IndRex and save the park.

Thoughts

I loved certain parts of this films and hated other parts. For instance, they could have left out the story of the nephews and I suspect this film would have been far better for it. It felt like the story sort of derailed every time they were on screen. Much of their scenes were pointless to the overall story and were added merely as a vehicle for either shock or awe. I particularly did not like the older brother as his character seems extremely shallow and unrelatable. Although the younger brother wasn't too much better as his personality was grating to my very soul...maybe i am just turning into a grumpy old man? I feel like, on some level, Spielberg included children because he wanted this film to be closer to the original film-- but it fails here.

I also didn't like that they killed Zara, the kids guardians. They did it for no reason other than to have her die in spectacular fashion and you just end up feeling unsettled by it. I think they tried to make you dislike her character and so her death might have felt a bit warranted, but they did not do a good enough job to pull this off and, quite honestly, it took my out of the film a little bit... I wonder if I was the only one who felt this way.
Also some of the script was a bit too cheesy for my taste... Chris Pratt and other characters, in a lot of cases, sound like they're trying to deliver these deep insightful one-liners but, as the audience, it all feels like way too much common sense to feel real. Like seriously... an island FULL of scientists, and the only one who is smart is the redneck velociraptor trainer? They spend half the film telling him how ignorant and stupid he is and then the other half basically begging him for help.

I do love, however, that certain dinosaurs (the velociraptor and the T-Rex) were the heroes of the story. I mean, I really went to see this film expecting Dinos to attack humans, but a dino-on-dino brawl? I was a kid again! The fight scenes have you rooting for Rexy, even though in previous films he essentially was IndRex, the villain. I loved this twist even if it was a little ridiculous and a little predictable... it was the good kind of predictable!

I would like to say that this was a fantastic role for Pratt, and he DID do a good job in the film, but I suspect anyone could have done the role just as good? I could be wrong, but since there wasn't a lot unique about Owen, he stood out only because he was the main protagonist. I do, however, look forward to future installments with Owen as the main lead and maybe, just maybe, his character will grow.

But let's be honest... you don't watch the Jurassic films for a great plot, dialogue, or character development, these things are great when they do happen but, we watch these films for the kick-ass dinosaurs!

Rating:
Plot (out of 20)

The plot is a little weak for a couple of reasons... one, why the hell would we continue to bread clearly dangerous animals, did we learn nothing from Jurassic Park? Two, are we really trying to weaponize dinos? I can suspend my belief for the sake of watching Dinosaurs fight, but that doesn't make it right. I also hated the whole "no one listens to the guy with common sense until it's too late"-- it happens so much in films its laughable and unrealistic and stops be from connecting with certain characters. (5/20)

Characters (Out of 20)
Do the Dinosaurs count as characters? Who cares-- I'm counting them! THIS IS MY REVIEW!!! Outside of Pratt and Claire and the dinos-- I could take or leave many of the other characters. I felt that the nephews were generally not needed in this film and it just distracted from the story most of the time when they were involved. (13/10)

Acting (out of 20)
The film was acting fairly well, some of the issues I had were more issues with the script and less with HOW they were delivered. Much of Pratt's lines were a bit too preachy. Other than that the characters-- even the ones I disliked, were well acted. (18/20)

Storytelling (out of 30)
Full points for the Claire/Pratt storyline and zero points for the nephews storyline. As I said earlier, both of them were hard to like and they derailed and otherwise tightly focuses film. They did a great job, however, of trying in the velociraptor training with the film as a whole and they led that through a great turn of events and a solid finale. (15/30)

Ad-Campaign (out of 10)
Dude... Dinosaurs sell... put them in any ad and it will do well. Throw in Pratt MASTERING dino's and you have millions of people buying in. (10/10)

Total: 61/100

Awesome post, i also going to see movie after reading this post.

Film: Jurassic World.
Directed by: Colin Trevorrow.
Released: 2015.
Running Time: 124 min.

This quite simply is a generic, not even trying to be original, sci-fi film about Jurassic Park being actually finished and a part of the regular entertainments available in a world some 20 years after the events of the first movie and things expectedly go wrong when scientists, trying to create a better attraction, work shenanigans with dinosaur DNA to create a mcguffin that, also expectedly, gets loose.

There are a few snicker worthy scenes, and a few pokes at some cliches, but it feels more like they are trying to distract from the one-dimensional characters and eyeball rollingly bland story.

The Special effects were…meh, with a side of irksome. Nothing overly spectacular with the hybrid boss dino, the big visual catch to draw audiences in (both to the park in the movie and the movie’s seats) which considering what they say it is made from (t-rex, raptor, cuttlefish(!), and some sort of chameleon) could have at least been a bit more imaginative in looks then what they provided in this monstrosity lacking albino t-rex in need of a manicure with better reach and something that looks like tumors growing out of its back. You don’t really see much of the the other dinosaurs in this film (despite the fact the freakin’ movie is supposed to be about a park of dinosaurs) with the holograms more believable then the actual flesh and blood were supposed to be.

There were only two really noteworthy scenes in the entire movie: the flying dinosaurs terrorizing the park goers, carrying them off and dropping them, particularly the fish-eats-fish-gets-eaten-by-bigger-fish moment with the British assistant (yes that is primarily how the film defines this unvested red shirt in heels), and the boss battle between four of the deadliest dinosaurs was admittedly awesome to see, and a good climax for the action. It’s also good that they kept some of the original score from the first film, and didn’t fall into the popular song trap that seems to be a recurring trope with films nowadays, so it has that going for it, but it’s not enough to save it from the bargain bin at Walmart in the next few years.

What really slaps my melon is that they could have used the two hours that this film was running to flesh out the plot, which meanders like a bored child waiting for the show to start at the circus, which doesn’t really happen until roughly the (late) latter half of the film. They also used that forced romance element that Hollywood seems to think is mandatory in many films recently (Ant-Man and Guardians of the Galaxy being a few of those prime examples from this year) between two characters that don’t have any believable chemistry and a story that didn’t even need it, with said pairing only sniping at each other occasionally, an awkward bit of flirting, and a kiss scene that was uncomfortable to watch (and be a part of, judging by the expression on the red head).

If you watch this, you will either be mildly amused at best or (most likely) bored and disappointed at worst.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
Completley disagree with your review here. I think JW is one of the better movies of the past 10 years. It was entertaining as hell, and the story was exciting from the moment the movie started.

"Banshee is the greatest thing ever. "

Completley disagree with your review here. I think JW is one of the better movies of the past 10 years. It was entertaining as hell, and the story was exciting from the moment the movie started.
I thought it was a solid movie for the most part (7/10 score for me), but there were definitely some cheesy moments. The girl running away from the T-Rex with high heels was pretty silly.

"""" Hulk Smashhhh."""
I thought it was a solid movie for the most part (7/10 score for me), but there were definitely some cheesy moments. The girl running away from the T-Rex was pretty silly.
Why what would you do?

Why what would you do?
Edited my comment -- actually what I meant was running away from the T-Rex with high heels. That's pretty silly.