Lucy (2014)

→ in
Tools    

LUCY (2014)
- William Burroughs once said during a lecture that almost all science fiction is bad, for the simple reason that it could never happen. LUCY, starring a dressed-down Scarlett Johannson, confirms that bias.

As the premise of the movie is based on an old wive's tale perpetuated by intro psych classes and wishful thinking (We only use 10 % of our brain's capacity) and some ramblings about evolution that sound like they were dreampt up by imbibng rotgut whiskey while reading Timothy Leary's EXO-PSYCHOLOGY, it's necessary to bring in the official soother of White People, Morgan Freeman, to explain what the hell is going on. Unfortunately, this is hard to do. In fact, what he says seems to be a thin cover for what hippies were saying long ago - mind drugs bring on enlightenment.

I won't give away any plot details that would spoil your appetite if you feel like a good meal of hobo stew. However - I will say - don't try to make excuses, yes, they are defying the laws of physics right off the bat, and the premise that evolution is about passing on knowledge is very interesting when you consider the age of the dinosaurs. The problem is the screenplay, or whatever the hell they called it in this case - graphic novel outline?

IF in fact future evolution will give us powers beyond those of mere mortal men of today, the movie at least teaches us one thing - evolution will favor those powers that look best using CGI.

I thought it was going to be good but it just got silly