A Letter to Three Wives (1949)

→ in
Tools    

won an Academy Award for Best Director and Best Writing, Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture. It was okay for a film of the era.

Kirk Douglas, Jeanne Crain (one of the Honeymooner's Alice Kramden's) and some other familiars are in it. Mix of melodrama and humor. Some IMDB posters have been confused by a comment Kirk Douglas makes about smoking causing cancer. Actually, he was saying that was alarmist thinking promoted by advertisers for profit. Remember - it was 1949. There's also a little innuendo slipped in about "penetration" being followed by "saturation." Other than that, you get all the feelings of something made a million years ago, but with good technical proficiency. Nice stark black and white with square framing. Glamour gals with wooden looking hair. The feeling of - how in the hell could I have lived in the same period of history with Kirk Douglas when he was already showing his age back THEN?

Major themes are miscommunication of love between couples and class preoccupations, with the working class portrayed as having their head on straight and the upper classes portrayed as shallow and crotchety.

The script structure is clever and the best feature of the movie. I got the feeling they were going to cheat it at the end, but there was a legit payoff.

won an Academy Award for Best Director and Best Writing, Screenplay and was nominated for Best Picture. It was okay for a film of the era.

Kirk Douglas, Jeanne Crain (one of the Honeymooner's Alice Kramden's) and some other familiars are in it. Mix of melodrama and humor. Some IMDB posters have been confused by a comment Kirk Douglas makes about smoking causing cancer. Actually, he was saying that was alarmist thinking promoted by advertisers for profit. Remember - it was 1949. There's also a little innuendo slipped in about "penetration" being followed by "saturation." Other than that, you get all the feelings of something made a million years ago, but with good technical proficiency. Nice stark black and white with square framing. Glamour gals with wooden looking hair. The feeling of - how in the hell could I have lived in the same period of history with Kirk Douglas when he was already showing his age back THEN?

Major themes are miscommunication of love between couples and class preoccupations, with the working class portrayed as having their head on straight and the upper classes portrayed as shallow and crotchety.

The script structure is clever and the best feature of the movie. I got the feeling they were going to cheat it at the end, but there was a legit payoff.
I have never seen this film and I did not understand one word you typed here and I still want to see the film anyway.