The Good, The Bad, and the Artsy - False Writer's 100 Favorite Movies

→ in
Tools    

I've decided that it's time to hop on the bandwagon and start a 100 list. You will find that the title of my list doesn't make much sense as The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly isn't on my list and there isn't a whole lot of art films either but I liked the title so you'll have to deal with it!
You will however find a diverse list of films that appeal to me personally. For every critically acclaimed film you see there might be a not-so-acclaimed guilty pleasure listed beside it.

I'm planning on posting at least three daily til we get near the end, which I don't know what exactly I will do but I'll let you know before we get to that point.

Sit back, relax, and enjoy the countdown—which will begin momentarily!

To kick off the list, we have...

100. The Punisher (2004) RT Score: 29% IMDB Score: 6.9

Not a masterpiece by any means, but it does accomplish being a fun, action-packed film with one of the most bad-ass "superheroes" in the comic book universe. The fight scene between Punisher and the Angry Russian was extremely well-done.

99. Wall Street (1987) RT Score: 78% IMDB Score: 7.4

A very different sort of film about the world of stock market that I found extremely enjoyable. Michael Douglas is amazing as the extremely rich and extremely slimy bigshot Gordon Gecko.

98. Underworld (2003) RT Score: 31% IMDB Score: 7.0

A guilty pleasure since I really enjoy werewolves and vampires, and this was the first film I saw that combined the two. The film lore is surprisingly interesting, and the action scenes are very well done. Also Kate Beckinsale in leather...

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I like that you included the RT and IMDB ratings for the movies. That's a nice touch.

It wouldn't make my top 100 list, but Wall Street is a good movie. I haven't seen the other two movies.

BTW, your pic for Underworld isn't showing up.

You're right, The Punisher is no masterpiece but it is a lot of fun. I liked it enough to include it on my list for the comics list.

Wall Street isn't quite a favorite of mine, but I like it a whole lot.

Haven't seen Underworld yet but I would like to.

Let the night air cool you off
Have you seen the 1989 adaptation of The Punisher FW? I much prefer it to the 2004 version despite liking Thomas Jane in the role.

Somebody else likes this movie!

I quite like all three, the scene in the café where an assigned hitman sings "In Time" as a threat to The Punisher is badass.

I like that you included the RT and IMDB ratings for the movies. That's a nice touch.

It wouldn't make my top 100 list, but Wall Street is a good movie. I haven't seen the other two movies.

BTW, your pic for Underworld isn't showing up.
Thanks! And I fixed the pic.

To those of you that haven't seen Underworld, I do recommend it if you're looking for a fun action-horror movie to watch. Also try to pay attention to the lore surrounding the main plot. I always thought that it would've been wildly popular as a book series if it wasn't a film franchise.

Also, just to be clear, I'm just talking about the first movie, the sequels were kinda bad especially the second one. The prequel was decent and Underworld Awakening was pretty mediocre.

Have you seen the 1989 adaptation of The Punisher FW? I much prefer it to the 2004 version despite liking Thomas Jane in the role.

Nah I've never seen that one. What do you prefer over the '04 version?

@hello101 Yeah that was another great scene. Also the way he killed that hitman was pretty funny.

+rep for Wall Street, the other 2 are a bit poo.. A word of advice: don't post Rotten Tomatoes scores, they mean nothing.
Yeah I know that those 2 are ones not many film buffs will like. They contain elements that appeal to me though. I know that they have their flaws and that's kinda why they're near the bottom of the list.

Also I get what you're saying about Rotten Tomatoes, but I already started it so might as well continue.

One more thing, reading back I noticed my overuse of the adverb "extremely" ... I will try my best to avoid that word next time.

Round 2!

97. Primal Fear (1996) RT Score: 74% IMDB Score: 7.7

A riveting courtroom drama with a breakout performance by Edward Norton as well as a strong lead performance by Richard Gere. Has all the stuff that keeps you on the edge of your seat all the way up to the shocking ending.

96. Dawn of the Dead (2004) RT Score: 75% IMDB Score: 7.4

This is a remake that in my opinion was worth doing. It took the fantastic plot of the original and gave it the new-age treatment with running zombies and high octane action combined with the horror. Having watched and enjoyed both the remake and Romero's original, I have to say that I just slightly prefer the remake in terms of viewing pleasure.

95. Antichrist (2009) RT Score: 49% IMDB Score: 6.6

A film that to this day I've only seen once, but many of the images are still vividly burned in my head. This is quite possibly the most messed up film I've ever seen, but despite all the disturbing and extremely (yes I have to use that word) graphic imagery, I was also fascinated by the story and cinematography and kept thinking what it all meant. I don't agree with the low scores posted above and think that this film is largely misunderstood.

Master of My Domain
Rep for Primal Fear. I like Ed Norton's performance in the film better than American History X.

Haven't seen or like anything from your first set, but bring it on.

Love Primal Fear and Dawn of the Dead!

Antichrist had great moments for me, but overall I was let down. I'd be interested in watching it again.

Have seen Wall Street and Underworld but remember nothing. Didn't like Primal Fear but the Dawn of the Dead remake was very good. Not sure how I feel about Antichrist - I like Von Trier and I probably need to rewatch it but really don't want to

It's good to know that everyone has at least 1 film that they like so far.

Also, just to be clear, I'm just talking about the first movie, the sequels were kinda bad especially the second one. The prequel was decent and Underworld Awakening was pretty mediocre.
No, no, no! They're not bad. They're all at least good. And remember, Kate in leather, Kate in leather. Let it sink in again. Kate...in...leather. There it is!

EDIT: Oh, almost forgot...great thread!