My Favorite Movie Guilty Pleasures

→ in
Tools    

I should begin, as always, by offering my definition of a guilty pleasure. For me, a guilty pleasure is a movie that has probably been panned by critics and the public for the most part, but I love it. It's usually a movie that I don't discuss with a lot of people but anytime it pops up on my TV, I will sit and watch it. And every movie on this list I have seen at least a dozen times. These are the movies that I watch behind locked doors with the curtains drawn and always alone...here we go:

Dude, Where's My Car?

This movie about two guys trying to remember what happened during their previous night of drunken shenanigans is stupid as hell, but it makes me laugh.

Should be a fun list! I got quite a few guilty pleasures that I consider all-time favorites, so I won't judge.

Steel Magnolias

This film is universally considered a "chick flick", so, as a male, I would have to classify it as a guilty pleasure. I love this movie, it has one of the most quotable screenplays I know and some great performances, especially Sally Field.

Airport

Considered by many to be the ultimate in 1970's cheese and the actual birth of the genre known as the disaster film, there's something immensely watchable about this movie. Jacqueline Bisset is breathtakingly beautiful here and I love Maureen Stapleton as Inez Guerrero, I would have given her the Oscar that Helen Hayes won.

Hooper

This movie abut an aging Hollywood stuntman (Burt Reynolds) who feels threatened by a young upstart (Jan-Michael Vincent) is silly and pointless but it's a lot of fun and Reynolds appears to be having a ball.

The Prisoner of Second Avenue

When I saw this movie during its original theatrical release, there were maybe five other people in the theater when I saw it. Every time I mention this movie to anyone, I get a blank expression. Jack Lemmon gives one of his best performances as an executive who loses his job and seemingly his mind. Anne Bancroft is equally wonderful as his patient wife who goes back to work to help, but she ends up getting fired too. Based on one of Neil Simon's lesser known Broadway works, I find this movie very entertaining, thanks to Simon, Bancroft, and especially Lemmon.

Beach Blanket Bingo

The Beach party movies were pretty stupid for the most part, but for some reason, I like this one...hell, Linda Evans plays a mermaid, how can you turn your back on that?

The Trouble with Angels

A minor 1960's classic that confirmed my unrequited love for Hayley Mills.

Goodbye, Charlie

This is a slightly smarmy comedy about a lecherous playboy named Charlie Sorrell, who is shot and killed by the husband (Walter Matthau) of a woman he was having an affair with and comes back to life a few days later as a woman (Debbie Reynolds), much to the confusion of Charlie's best friend (Tony Curtis). Another 60's comedy that, for some reason, I can always sit through.

Hello Dolly!

It's a big splashy musical, but the first ninety minutes or so are really slow going. Streisand is miscast and she has no chemistry with Walter Matthau but it's better than a spike to the forehead.

Road Trip

Four college students take a road trip to retrieve a video before one of the guy's girlfriend sees it...the film contains more than its share of bathroom humor, but there's something about this movie that puts the viewer on these guys' side and you want to see them accomplish their mission. It's not exactly art, but it's funny.

New York New York

This epic musical directed by Martin Scorsese (!) was a box office disaster but I still love it.

Down with Love

This brilliant lampoon of the 1959 classic Pillow Talk pretty much died at the box office and I see very little discussion about it on these boards, but I still think it's a great movie.

Down with Love

This brilliant lampoon of the 1959 classic Pillow Talk pretty much died at the box office and I see very little discussion about it on these boards, but I still think it's a great movie.
I own this, but have yet to watch it... But I do love Pillow Talk.