6th HOF-Rushmore

Tools    

Nominated By: Seanc

This was a no brainer for me. My favorite film from my favorite director. It shows off all his strengths. Great characters with a great script. All the Anderson quirkiness in great visual setting. I am not quite sure how Rushmore is felt about around here but figured it was time to find out.

After 3 movies, I'm still not sure how I feel about Wes Anderson, but I have been meaning to check this one out. It's on cable, so I asked my wife if she'd like to watch it tonight. She said no, because she saw it with her sister. She said she liked it, and I'm looking forward to it myself.

Great choice Sean. My second favourite from Anderson after Fantastic Mr.Fox. Curious to see the reactions to this, because like most of his films it's quite divisive.

I only have to see GBH, this is how i'd rank them.

1.Fantastic Mr.Fox - 4.5/5
2.Rushmore - 4/5
3.The Royal Tenenbaums - 4/5 (hated it the first time i watched it, really glad i gave it another shot)
4.Bottle Rocket - 3.5/5
5.Moonrise Kingdom - 3.5/5 (4 and 5 are interchangeable)
6.The Darjeeling Limited - 2.5/5
7.The Life Aquatic - 2.5/5

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Rushmore is his best work, I think. The Fantastic Mr. Fox almost rivals it as my favorite Anderson, but I truly think Rushmore is the better movie.

Murray and Schwartzman's performances really ground the movie and give it the heart it needs so that Anderson's excesses don't boil over into some sort of quirky goo.

I probably would have nominated this at some point myself. I hope it does well.

Let the night air cool you off
From Wes Anderson, I've seen five:

1. Moonrise Kingdom
2. Fantastic Mr. Fox
3. The Royal Tenenbaums
4. The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou
5. The Grand Budapest Hotel

I like all of them I've seen, so the expectations are pretty high for Rushmore.

I've only seen Bottle Rocket from his, I gave it a
. It has its moments but overall, quite the dissapointment.

Hopefully Rushmore redeems Anderson somewhat.

I never could get the hang of Thursdays.
I wasn't mad on this when I saw it, but I'll give it another shot. I don't know what to think about Anderson. I really liked The Royal Tenenbaums and I thought The Grand Budapest Hotel was good, but I wasn't keen on Moonrise Kingdom or The Life Aquatic, and I couldn't stand The Darjeeling Limited.

Am I the only person that LOVES Moonrise Kingdom around here?
I love it, of course. I am pleased and surprised to see you haven't seen Rushmore yet JJ. Based on how you feel about his other stuff I expect you to love it.

I just finished watching Rushmore, and I've come out of it with a much more positive feeling than I had anticipated.

In general, I just do not like quirky movies. I don't like characters with quirky mannerisms or quirky dialogue. I thought it worked very well for Anderson's Fantastic Mr. Fox, and my thought was that animation was best suited to his style. I feel about Rushmore similar to how I felt about The Grand Budapest Hotel, only stronger in Rushmore's case. I think I subconsciously went into these movies with a negative perception, only to be won over after about a half hour. I feel like in some ways, once you've seen a Wes Anderson movie, you've seen them all. It's kind of how I feel about Woody Allen movies. This may be unfair, but I think the style is continuous from one movie to another.

After watching Rusmore, I finally understand Anderson's appeal, and I now feel that I can truly respect and appreciate him as a director. Given my personal taste, I feel that Rushmore had a cap as far as potential for my enjoyment, and I think at the very least, that potential was reached for me. That's important, because what I mean by that, is that I think the end result of the movie, is that it's the best that it can be.

I think that Rushmore, and other Anderson films, are less about story, and more about characters and dialogue. Rushmore's story is indeed secondary, but I appreciate that it at least has one, because now I can see the point. This movie is thoroughly enjoyable, it's very well done, and the petfomances are spot on. There are some great scenes, and some truly funny moments. I think this is a movie that will be fun to watch over and over again in the future, and I believe that I will grow more fond of it as time goes by. For now, I give it a very conservative

Glad you enjoyed it Cricket. Most of your criticism of Anderson are things that have been voiced before, so their is certainly some truth there. I think either you love him or you don't. His movies do seem to reward multiple viewings. You say his movies are more about the characters and the dialogue then the story. I agree 100%, and that is one of the reasons I like him so much. Also wone of the things that make him not for everyone.