The Doors dvd

Tools    

I just bought The Doors on dvd, 2 disc set. The quality is terrible and the black bar widescreen takes up most of the screen. Narrowscreen version is more like it.

Anyway, anyone know if there is a better version?

Mary Beth

Is this really the first widescreen DVD you've ever seen? That you don't understand how this is a major and necessary advancement from the old horrid panning and scanning is a tad depressing.

Frankly, if you crave "better" non-widescreen versions of movies, stick with VHS and television. Leave the DVDs for those of us who care about the integrity and craftsmanship of the images.

For a quick primer course on what letterboxing/widescreening is, check out THIS site.

And no, thankfully there is not a pan&scan edition of Oliver Stone's The Doors available on DVD. Nor should there ever be. But hey, the VHS is not widescreen! Go exchange your disc.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

Well hello Mr. Fancypants!

No, I am not completely ignorant of the miraculous virtues of widescreen as you assume

Let me explain it to you, as a simple ordinary person I buy movies for entertainment value and to watch the movie. I don't really care if it's pan and scan or widescreen, please forgive me if I don't care if I can see a leaf blowing off a tree on the far right of the screen. I'd rather see the top of the actor's head.

The point was, the black takes up most of the screen and with a 27" tv, this is very annoying. And for a special edition the quality was awful since the entire movie looked like old home movies. Do you see what I'm saying or am I not pretentious enough for you to understand?

Now, does anyone else know if there is another version of The Doors with better quality?

Have a nice day
Mary Beth

I don't really understand you, no, though I'm not sure how much pretention enters into the equation.

Putting the aspect ratio formatting aside for a moment, the "awful picture quality" is a stylistic choice. The "old home movie" look, as you describe it, was the intentional effect that Stone and cinematographer Robert Richardson developed. I like the saturated washed-out look of the movie, but I suppose it ain't for all tastes. In any event, that quality will be the same whether it is a letterboxed edition or not.

Anywho, as I said, the disc you have is the only edition of The Doors available on DVD in America. If you want it panned and scanned or don't believe me that the look is a stylistic choice, get it on VHS.

poor Otis, dead and gone
left me here to sing his song
pretty little girl with a red dress on
poor Otis dead and gone...

*throwing a spanner in the works*

hmmmmm......heard on a music special on The Doors.......that there is speculation that Jim Morrison faked his own death........hmmmm......speculation or what!!!!!........has anyone else heard that........well I do doubt it.......but just wondering what you guys think....... ........

"I'm your hell, I'm your dream.......I'm nothing in between.......You know you wouldn't want it any other way".........

"Listen, when I slap you, you'll take it and like it"..........Humphrey Bogart..........Maltese Falcon.......

Graze on my lips and if those hills be dry, stray lower, where the pleasant fountains lie...........William Shakespeare.......

I am huge fan of The Doors,and this is one of my top movies...this movie is legendary...i watched it zillion times...it is surely best movie about some band for me...

My DVD of it looked fine and dandy on the screen. I have the Region 1 edition from America with the gorgeous shiny case:

If you have a blu ray player, it's out on blu ray now. I've yet to see the blu ray edition but it's the best to see going by reviews and the audio is suppose to be excellent. Here is one screenshot from the blu ray, certainly not terrible.