Horror Movie HoF

Tools    

Props to MovieGal for not being offended by all the Cannibal hate. I'm going to try to watch it, would feel bad not giving it a chance, although I'm pretty sure it won't be my style.

If MovieGal doesn't get watching, I won't be watching at all
Rauldc.. I have watched a few already... Many I have seen already and wont rewatch because my score will be the same... I do work a full time job and rarely have time in the evenings to watch a film... I will watch more this weekend.. and next tuesday which is my day off..

I recently watched "May" and part of "Night Watch" .. I just havent given my score yet for May... I can now for you benefit..

May ~ 3/5

I found the film to be a bit slow and not very interesting... There is something to be said about some of the actors in it... Im not a fan of Anna Farris or Jeremy Sisto.... the killings were a bit slow and lame in my opinion... but it wasnt horrible.

Props to MovieGal for not being offended by all the Cannibal hate. I'm going to try to watch it, would feel bad not giving it a chance, although I'm pretty sure it won't be my style.
Swan, I could have suggested many films from northern part of Europe... one of my favorites from Finland is a horror... with some history added to it... but I dont want it to be a bit normal type of horror.. thats why I chose "Cannibal".. plus SC and I were talking about doing something a bit "shocking" and thats why I chose it.. not everyone is going to enjoy extreme cinema and Im cool about that.... I have unique taste in everything I enjoy and hey, that separates me from the rest...

I hope you can enjoy it....

Suspiria

Suspect already said it best.

This movie is held in high regard, but I always consider it a red flag when people mainly talk about things that should be of secondary importance, such as the visual style or the musical score. To be a complete movie, there should be some praise thrown upon the story, characters, or performances, and I just never hear about those things with Suspiria.

The music and style are big pluses for this movie, but everything else is just ok. I like Suspiria, but taking everything into account, I feel that it's an average movie.

ok since everyone is waiting for me to rate what I have seen... here are my scores.. from films I seen in the past and my score for them

"Rosemary's Baby" - 4/5... this is one of the best horror films that I have enjoyed. It has always been a favorite and it was one of the first Criterion purchases I have made.

"The Haunting" - 4.5/5 .. This is one of the classics I have seen and I was so excited when it did come out on criterion (any dvd format). It was never release before on dvd. I remember watching this the first time on TMC but I couldnt remember the name of it for the longest time until a co-worker and I was discussing it and she remember the title. Great film. Highly suggested among most.

"Hellbound: Hellraiser 2" - 3/5.. I seen this when it first came out at the theatre.. and since then on DVD. I prefer the first Hellraiser film to the rest. It was enjoyable for the time period when it was released but my taste in horror has grown quite a bit...

"The Ring" ~ 3/10 ... I seen this at the theatre as well when first released. It does not hold up to the standards of the original Asian version but it was entertaining as well.

"The Tale of Two Sisters" - 3.5/10 .. I watched this a few years ago.. with my movie buddy..It was very enjoyable and a bit creepy at times. There are scenes in this film that is embedded into my mind..

"The Audition" - 4/5.. I seen this movie years ago.. It is a entertaining and sick at times. Not the best out there but enjoyable gore.. parts that make you cringe .. which is one of the things horror should do...

I will watch the ones I havent seen yet.. Alyce Kills and You're Next are on Netflix and I will finish Nightwatch and watch Dr Phibes as well soon... give you my ratings on those when I watch them..

Many of my friends say I will dislike "You're Next" .. so Im sure its not something for me... they know my tastes.. but I will give it a try for the Horror HoF

28 days...6 hours...42 minutes...12 seconds
Seems You're Next and Cannibal are the popular ones so far...for good or bad.

I'll be watching Alyce Kills soon and I hope to get Possession in this weekend.

Also, after all the Cannibal talk, I certainly have to check it out.

Suspect's Reviews

May (2002)

Angela Bettis plays a quirky woman who's only friend for her entire childhood, and up into her adult years, has been a doll, which her mother made herself, and which has never been out of its display case. This sets the stage for a weird sort of late blooming coming of age comedy that gets creepier as the movie progresses. Well it's not really a comedy, but I'd say the comedic themes are stronger in the first half of the movie and gradually the horror elements emerge. The movie never really gets scary, but it's quite interesting in it's own strange way. I found myself chuckling a number of times and laughing out loud two or three times. This was the most interested I've been in Angela Bettis. Usually I find her to be forgettable, but now I think I'll have a lasting impression. The acting itself was never really more than par unfortunately, but that's okay. May isn't aiming for any academy awards, just a good time. I enjoyed Jeremy Sisto the most. He isn't an actor I'm familiar with, but I really liked his expressions, mannerisms, and the way he carried himself. Saying things like, "Maybe" when he really meant, "No," giving May false hope. Without spoiling too much there are a couple examples I'd like to share. In one scene May says she sees a lot of gross things at work, and Sisto's character, Adam, replies with, "I like gross. Gross me out." But it's pretty funny when she actually manages to gross him out and he just listens to her story with a gaping jaw and a lost appetite. In another situation Adam shows May a film that he made which is supposed to be disturbing. But it only excites May and she says something awkward like, "It was charming." I forget exactly what she says, but Sisto's expression just has, "That's not the right response," written all over it. Sensing that he wants a little more than a one liner from her she adds to her feelings about the film by saying, "I don't think she could have bitten off his entire finger in one bite, that part was a little far-fetched." There were a lot of scenes like that where May is just constantly being molded into the weirdest person you've ever seen.

Overall I enjoyed the movie. I didn't find flaws in it so much as noticed that the acting could have been better and it wasn't a masterpiece. But I don't think it's really fair to put the movie under that spotlight. It's true that it could have been a better film, but aside from improving the acting you would also have to make the movie more serious without loosing the comedic aspects in order to really achieve a masterpiece with the screenplay. As it is I think the movie is fine. Perhaps the ending waned slightly because the comedy themes were a bit stronger than the horror themes. But I am really nit picking as much as I can just to find things to critique. This is a solid movie. It's interesting, creative, and genuinely funny. I doubt I'll talk much about it in my movie discussions with co-workers and friends in years to come, but as I think back on the movie there are many scenes that stand out and bring a smile to my face. Seeing Kelly Osbourne get killed was an added bonus.

Very Good

Swan, I could have suggested many films from northern part of Europe... one of my favorites from Finland is a horror... with some history added to it... but I dont want it to be a bit normal type of horror.. thats why I chose "Cannibal".. plus SC and I were talking about doing something a bit "shocking" and thats why I chose it..
Yeah, I told her to go with Cannibal.

She was hesitant about picking it, but I told her it would be alright.

It's more my fault than MovieGal's.

Thanks I'm glad you liked it. Kelly actually didn't look too shabby back then, it's too bad about the plastic surgery mishap. She looks like a train wreck now.

Also I just finished watching Rosemary's Baby since the only version of Cannibal I could find wasn't really co-operating with my internets. I'll just say Rosemary's Baby was really captivating and the ending blew me away.

I believe I'm going to watch Cannibal tonight and Alyce Kills tomorrow, instead of the other way around. I'm going to a friend's house and bringing Cannibal, beer, and pizza!

I've got - The Night Stalker, Susperia (rewatch), Possession, Nightwatch and The Tale of Two Sisters - all ready to go. I think I'll defiantly watch one of them tonight!

I believe I'm going to watch Cannibal tonight and Alyce Kills tomorrow, instead of the other way around. I'm going to a friend's house and bringing Cannibal, beer, and pizza!
I don't know if that's a good idea, man. Trust me, it's going to be an awkward watch, and I'm not referring to the gore.

Your friend may never look at you the same again.

Okay, never mind. I assumed you were referring to a dude, so I was thinking about all the penis biting and anal sex in the movie.

I'm very anxious to hear your thoughts on the film.