Classer's 100 superduperfavourite films

→ in
Tools    

100. The Other (1972)

"Only Piggy-look-a-doo would have rats for pets. Rats for a rat."

99. Phantasm (1979)

"Now, remember: you don't aim a gun at a man unless you intend to shoot him. And, you don't shoot a man unless you intend to kill him. No warning shots. Hey, you listening to me? No warning shots. Warning shots are ********. You shoot to kill, or you don't shoot at all."

98. Night Moves (1975)

"There's nothing like having a mother and a daughter. Gives you sort of a kind of perspective."

97. Frantic (1988)

"You want your wife back or what? Then relax, be cool and just walk. We'll give them what they want. You will get your wife, I'll get my money and everyone will be happy... except Dédé."

96. The Parallax View (1974)

"They say a martini is like a woman's breast: one ain't enough and three is too many."

95. Angel Heart (1987)

"You know what they say about slugs. They always leave slime in their tracks."

94. The Cross of Iron (1977)

"Stop your ****in' silly game! This isn't a brothel, this is a war!"

93. Gallipoli (1981)

"The thing I can't stand about you, mate, is you're always so bloody cheerful."

92. The China Syndrome (1979)

" He was not a loony. He was the sanest man I ever knew in my life."

91. Night And The City (1950)

"Harry, do you know what you're doing? You're killing me. You're killing me and yourself."

90. Walkabout (1971)

"We're English! English, do you understand? This is Australia, yes? Where is Adelaide?"

97. Frantic (1988)
95. Angel Heart (1987)
92. The China Syndrome (1979)
90. Walkabout (1971)
+ rep for all these. It's particularly nice to see Walkabout on here. I watched it again last week and it's still a wonderful film.

I've not seen Phantasm since I was a kid. I remember being a little bored, but that was possibly as much because we were all waiting for the flying ball as much as anything else. I'd like to see it again and give it a chance.

It might not look too good, but f you can get four titles out of ten over the course of this from me, you'll be doing better than most.

I've only seen Night Movies, The China Syndrome and Walkabout. I watched them all for the recent 70s list on here actually, I liked Night Movies and The China Syndrome, especially the former which I thought was a very good noir film which reminded me of one of my favourites, The Long Goodbye. Walkabout I thought was excellent, and is a favourite of mine, a fascinating movie that manages to keep your focus captured through fantastic imagery.

I'm actually going to post the next set in a few, stay tuned. Thanks for replying. Walkabout is beautifully shot and an underrated gem for sure.

Good stuff, but yeah, I would definitely consider slowing the countdown and/or posting some thoughts about each one. That lets us get to know your tastes even better! More interesting, too.

A system of cells interlinked
Good choices so far! Night Moves is excellent.

89. The Crying Game (1992)

"Have you ever tried to pick up your teeth with broken fingers?"

88. Macbeth (1971)

"I will not yield, To kiss the ground before young Malcolm's feet, And to be baited with the rabble's curse. Though Birnam wood be come to Dunsinane, And thou oppos'd, being of no woman born, Yet I will try the last. Lay on, Macduff; And damn'd be him that first cries."

87. The Vanishing (1988)

"Sometimes I imagine she's alive. Somewhere far away. She's very happy. And then, I have to make a choice. Either I let her go on living and never know, or I let her die and find out what happened. So... I let her die."

86. The Virgin Suicides (1999)

"What we have here is a dreamer. Someone completely out of touch with reality."

85. House Of Games (1988)

"When you have done something unforgivable, I'll tell you exactly what to do. You forgive yourself."

84. Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

"A man once told me that you step out of your door in the morning, and you are already in trouble. The only question is are you on top of that trouble or not?

83. Little Big Man (1970)

"Jack Crabb: She was calling him a devil and moaning for help, but I didn't get no idea she wanted to be rescued."

82. Klute (1971)

"And for an hour... for an hour, I'm the best actress in the world, and the best **** in the world."

81. Pleasentville (1998)

"Up until now everything around here has been, well, pleasant. Recently certain things have become unpleasant. Now, it seems to me that the first thing we have to do is to separate out the things that are pleasant from the things that are unpleasant."

80. Man Bites Dog (1992)

"If you kill a whale, you get Greenpeace and Jacques Cousteau on your back, but wipe out sardines and you get a canning subsidy!"

89. The Crying Game (1992)
88. Macbeth (1971)
87. The Vanishing (1988)
86. The Virgin Suicides (1999)
81. Pleasentville (1998)
80. Man Bites Dog (1992)
You keep this up and you and I are going to get along just fine.

79. Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (1974)

"I will pay one million dollars. Bring me the head of Alfredo Garcia!"

78. Gummo (1997)

"I take Ritalin, this kind of prescription drug. It's not like a drug that ****s you up. If anything, it makes you normal."

77. Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas (1998)

"We had two bags of grass, seventy-five pellets of mescaline, five sheets of high-powered blotter acid, a saltshaker half-full of cocaine, and a whole galaxy of multi-colored uppers, downers, screamers, laughers... Also, a quart of tequila, a quart of rum, a case of beer, a pint of raw ether, and two dozen amyls. Not that we needed all that for the trip, but once you get locked into a serious drug collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can. The only thing that really worried me was the ether. There is nothing in the world more helpless and irresponsible and depraved than a man in the depths of an ether binge, and I knew we'd get into that rotten stuff pretty soon."

76. Jeremiah Johnson (1972)

"His name was Jeremiah Johnson, and they say he wanted to be a mountain man. The story goes that he was a man of proper wit and adventurous spirit, suited to the mountains. Nobody knows whereabouts he come from and don't seem to matter much. He was a young man and ghosty stories about the tall hills didn't scare him none. He was looking for a Hawken gun, .50 caliber or better. He settled for a .30, but damn, it was a genuine Hawken, and you couldn't go no better. Bought him a good horse, and traps, and other truck that went with being a mountain man, and said good-bye to whatever life was down there below."

75. The Machinist (2004)

"Right now I wanna sleep. I just want to sleep."

74. The Bird With The Crystal Plumage (1970)

"Its scares are on a much more basic level than in, say, a thriller by Hitchcock. It works mostly by exploiting our fear of the dark." - Roger Ebert

73. Straight Time (1978)

"Yeah, well I'll drive you out there but I'm not gonna rob it for you, you have to do that yourself. I got stomach trouble... no guts.”

72. The Man Who Knew Too Much (1956)

"If you ever get hungry, our garden back home is full of snails. We tried everything to get rid of them. We never thought of a Frenchman!"

71. Hour Of The Wolf (1968)

"The old ones called it "the hour of the wolf". It is the hour when the most people die, and the most are born. At this time, nightmares come to us. And when we awake, we are afraid."

70. The Picnic At Hanging Rock (1975)

"Only a million years ago. Quite a recent eruption really. The rocks all round - Mount Macedon itself - must be all of 350 million years old. Siliceous lava, forced up from deep down below. Soda trachytes extruded in a highly viscous state, building the steep sided mamelons we see in Hanging Rock. And quite young geologically speaking. Barely a million years."

I've seen most of those last 2 sets; my favorites being House of Games, Little Big Man, Man Bites Dog, and Straight Time.

I haven't seen Gummo yet; that's one I'm looking forward to.

6 out of 10? Not bad, let's try for 10 out of 10.
Don't let the Drew Barrymore avatar seduce you. You'll soon learn that honeykid agreeing with your taste in movies isn't a good thing.

Don't let the Drew Barrymore avatar seduce you. You'll soon learn that honeykid agreeing with your taste in movies isn't a good thing.
I say honeykid is a fine fellow with exquisite taste, would love a grandy-old pint with him or whether she a lady, which is no problem as me be a hit with the ladies and ladettes alike. Whad you say old chap?

I haven't seen Gummo yet; that's one I'm looking forward to.
Oh, but you shouldn't be.

Picnic at Hanging Rock and Gallipoli? What about Puberty Blues, Don's Party, Breaker Morant and the Year of Living Dangerously? Are we going to see those on the list?

Good start to you list Classer

I like Gallipoli, Walkabout, The Crying Game, Macbeth, Little Big Man and Picnic at Hanging Rock.

I love Angel Heart, Man Bitevvs Dog, Fear and Loathing, and The Vanishing - superb films