2nd Mofo Short Film Hall of Fame

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
Thanks Jiraffe for requesting this. Now is actually the perfect time for a short film HoF.

For those of you unsure of how this works: Firstly, everyone nominates one short film that they feel is worthy to be inducted into the Hall of Fame thread. Next, everyone watches each nominated film. This thread here will be to tab and discuss each film as everyone watches them. There is no particular order you have to watch in. Each individual can watch in any order that suits them. Then after you have watched every film and feel that you have enough information to make your decision, you rank each film in order of strongest to weakest film and send that in a pm to me. I ask that everyone not discuss their list order to discourage tactical voting. Voting should be done so on a film's merit and nothing more (for example, don't place another movie higher than another because the person who nominated it is nicer than the person that nominated the other. )

If you finish before the others you can send your list in, but sometimes it is wise to wait. A discussion may have you thinking differently about a film than you had upon watching it and you may change your mind. However, I will allow to you change your mind after you send it to me.

The deadline will depend on how many people join, but I am going to give approximately 1 wk per two films. So if eight people join, this will last a month. If you would like to participate, just let me know in this thread.

Movies nominated need to be under sixty minutes in length. Any short film is eligible except, La Jetée. It was the winner of the first short HoF and just hasn't been inducted yet.

Please send me your nomination with this information: the title, director and year. I also need just a couple of sentences as to why you nominated it.

I think that's it. Please ask any questions that you may have.

Nominations:

1. At Land - Maya Deren 1944 (nominated by Sane)

Deren's dreamlike/nightmarish short about ... "identity" according to Wikipedia. I don't know about that - I just find her films hypnotic and always fascinating.

2. Charlotte and Her Boyfriend (1960 Jean-Luc Godard) (nominated by Daniel M.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0051472/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

Early Godard film that accompanies Breathless and is quite indicative of the style he would employ in that film. Relying largely on dialogue, it is a smartly written, humorous short film that sees Jean-Paul Belmondo attempt to belittle his ex girlfriend. Nothing revolutionary, but a nice easy watch that gives us a little look at the fresh, innovative style that Godard would burst on to the scene with in Breathless, and with a great ending.

3. The House Is Black (1963 Forugh Farrokhzad) Nominated by TokeZa

4. Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life (1995 Peter Capaldi) (nominated by donniedarko)

5. Harvie Krumpet (2003 Adam Elliot) Nominated by Godoggo

I think everyone's starting to get how much I love Adam Elliot. There is an unbridled joy in his filmmaking and I wish that there were more Harvie Krumpets in the world.

6. The House of Small Cubes (2008
Kunio Kato)
nominated by neiba

7. The Terrys (2011; Tim & Eric) nominated by Jiraffejustin

If this doesn't come in last place, it will feel like a victory. You know how people preface some films with "it's not for everybody," right? Well this is for almost nobody. Luckily for me, I fall into the category of almost nobody. It's sick humor, and if you are familiar with Tim & Eric you will know what I mean, but this is pretty sick even for those guys.

8. Paperman (2012 John Kahrs) nominated by Thursday Next

A really well made, sweet and simple short film about love and imagination. It was the first Disney animated short film to win the Best Animated Short Film Academy Award in 43 years. I really like Christophe Beck's music for it as well.

9. B] Time Travel Lover - Directed by Bo Mirosseni (2014)[/b] nominated by gbgoodies

I nominated this because it has a nice blend of sci-fi, comedy, romance and drama. It's well written, and well acted, and I think everyone will enjoy it.

10. Hotel Chevalier (2007 Wes Anderson nominated by Mistique

Yep. Just send it to me in a pm. Read the first post if you haven't so you know what info to put with it. Looking forward to seeing what it is.

Any more people joining in? It looks like it's going to be a smallish group so I doubt it will take a lot of your time.

I'd like to have the rest of the nominations in by Sat. afternoon so people can have until then to make up their mind or not about joining.

This will be your last day to sign up. I'd like at least one more person, if possible.

Donnie and Thursday, don't forget to send your nominations in.

I'm still waiting on Daniel M's nomination. I'll put the rest up tomorrow regardless of whether or not I have his and just add his when I do.

Someone else can still join if they can get me a nomination by tomorrow.

Check the first post, nominations are in.

I've only seen my own nomination this time around. Looking forward to quite a few of those.

I think we can get these watched in a month no problem,so I'll need your lists submitted to me by Dec. 16th.