Questions about movie Interstellar

Tools    

ADMIN NOTE: spoilers abound.

I just saw the movie Interstellar today and was blown away by it. The visual effects were truly amazing, and it certainly was epic being 3 hours long.
But many aspects of the movie still have me completely baflled, i was hoping anyone else that has seen the movie can help me fill in the blanks.

What year was the movie set? Unless i wasn't paying attention i'm sure they didn't say what year it was.
I take it, its set around 2050 as people are still driving around in old pick up trucks. Which i find a bit strange. There's no advancement in cars yetthey can fly to Saturn and beyond??

Why did the Lazurus Project only have one pilot for each ship? That seems very odd. Wouldn't it have made sense to send entire crews including mechanics (to make repairs on ship), other pilots, botonists for when they land on the panet and so on?

What happened to Earth at the end?? It just ended with him on the Saturn space colony. It didnt even explain what happened to earth and all its inhabitants.

If the crops were failing on earth, why not just use other methods such as hydroponics?

Is it even plausible that their spaceship would even receive data from the pilots of the Lazuraus Project from their respective planets?

Even if they did find and colonize a planet how was that meant to help the billions of people on earth?

I have so many questions but theyre the ones that immediately came to mind.

What exactly did Cooper do before being a farmer that made him so proficient at flying a spaceship? So if Cooper didnt arrive at NASA when he did, they going to go ahead with sending a multi billion dollar 'makinds last hope' into space without a proper pilot??

So when Cooper and his daughter Murph go out to find NASA was that Cooper giving himself and his daughter clues? eg, he was outside of time sort of thing. After all in the beginning she was telling him that she was seeing a ghost and they, especially her brother were making fun of her.

I know there are a tonne of questions here so if you want feel free to answer the ones you want.

Master of My Domain
1. Not set in certain year

2. There were very few pilots, so by sending one per ship would increase the chance of finding a good planet to replace earth.

3. From the looks of it most people were saved

4. Maybe hydroponics didn't work

Will answer more questions later.

SPOILER ALERT!!!

What happened to Earth at the end?? It just ended with him on the Saturn space colony. It didnt even explain what happened to earth and all its inhabitants.
Earth became uninhabitable because of the dust, so they all colonized to a space station and after that (probably) to another planet (the one Anne Hathaway's character went to in the end).

Is it even plausible that their spaceship would even receive data from the pilots of the Lazuraus Project from their respective planets?
Yeah, it is. Voyager 1 (which is the furthest man-made object in space) is approximately 12 billion miles (19 billion kilometers) away from earth (somewhere in interstellar space) and we still get its signals in 17 hours.

Even if they did find and colonize a planet how was that meant to help the billions of people on earth?
Caine's character was searching for a theory about gravity to easily transport (most of) the people on earth. At the end of his life he admitted that it was seemingly impossible, but McConaughey's character discovers the formula in the black hole and transports it to his daughter so she can save the people on earth.

So now I know the ending before even seeing the film, well done you guys.
Maybe you shouldn't read the thread "Questions about Interstellar" if you haven't seen the film yet.

Maybe you shouldn't read the thread "Questions about Interstellar" if you haven't seen the film yet.
How could I possibly know that the questions were plot related? Recently I've been reading about the different formats the film is being shown in, so the questions could have easily been about that.

Either way, you should have used the spoiler tags. They're there for a reason

How could I possibly know that the questions were plot related? Recently I've been reading about the different formats the film is being shown in, so the questions could have easily been about that.

Either way, you should have used the spoiler tags. They're there for a reason
First paragraph of this thread:

"I just saw the movie Interstellar today and was blown away by it. The visual effects were truly amazing, and it certainly was epic being 3 hours long.
But many aspects of the movie still have me completely baflled, i was hoping anyone else that has seen the movie can help me fill in the blanks.
"

After reading that, every person should immediately understand that the questions and answers are full of spoilers and talk about the plot.

It's your own fault.

I just saw the movie Interstellar today and was blown away by it. The visual effects were truly amazing, and it certainly was epic being 3 hours long.

What year was the movie set? Unless i wasn't paying attention i'm sure they didn't say what year it was.
I take it, its set around 2050 as people are still driving around in old pick up trucks. Which i find a bit strange. There's no advancement in cars yetthey can fly to Saturn and beyond??
First off, dude, all the answers to your questions were in the film, though some where buried in the tons of exposition.

There's no advancement in cars and other tech, even spaceships except for the few in NASA (more on this later), because the entirety of human technology was pretty much put on hold to try to save us all. Cooper says in the parent/teacher conference that humans used to have a machine called an MRI that could have saved his wife but we stopped funding things like that. Why build cool new cars when we don't even have the food to keep going?

Why did the Lazurus Project only have one pilot for each ship? That seems very odd. Wouldn't it have made sense to send entire crews including mechanics (to make repairs on ship), other pilots, botonists for when they land on the panet and so on?
Funding and lack of people (more on that later). Professor Brand talks a bit about being underfunded and understaffed when Cooper first meets them. They all chuckle when he asks who they are, it's in that scene. It's obvious by their laugh and the fact that there are only about 5 people in that huge boardroom that they are seriously lacking in both money and people.

Also, training people to travel in space is extremely difficult and time consuming (despite what Armageddon taught us) and it would be pointless and expensive (funding!) to send more than one person per ship knowing that those people would not be coming back.

First off, there's not billions of people left on Earth at the end of this film. It's implied that tons (probably billions) of people are dead. Humanity is way on its last legs in this film. My guess is a lot of the people from the US, if not all of them, are on the planet/ship at the end and I'd guess the rest of human kind is either building ships like that of their own or already on other ships. This isn't made clear, but it would seem logical. But it's heavily implied that there's not a lot of people left anyway.

If the crops were failing on earth, why not just use other methods such as hydroponics?
It's a disease that's killing plants. It doesn't matter how they grow the plants, the plants are all getting the disease and dying.

Yes. But they are only receiving info from three pods after they get through the wormhole which are the three closest to where they end up. I assume the wormhole can take people to different parts of the universe since they sent 12 probes into the hole but Cooper and crew are only receiving from 3 (I think there was a fourth mentioned but there was some sciencey reason they couldn't get to that one). I guess they were just close enough to only those three to receive data and also have enough fuel to get there.

It wasn't. Plan B, dude.

What exactly did Cooper do before being a farmer that made him so proficient at flying a spaceship? So if Cooper didnt arrive at NASA when he did, they going to go ahead with sending a multi billion dollar 'makinds last hope' into space without a proper pilot??
He worked for NASA. Again, in the same scene in the boardroom Professor Brand says "Don't you recognize us? You worked for us. We're NASA." (paraphrasing that, but it's close)

I'm sure they had others ready to fly, but probably not many. Also, they sent Cooper because that was the exact ship he's flying in the flashback at the beginning so they knew he could fly it.

So when Cooper and his daughter Murph go out to find NASA was that Cooper giving himself and his daughter clues? eg, he was outside of time sort of thing. After all in the beginning she was telling him that she was seeing a ghost and they, especially her brother were making fun of her.
Is there a question here...?

Just wanted to say I saw the movie. Brill.

The blackhole thing went a little to far.
he would have been ripped to shreds.

You're right. It's a movie made by people trying to make money. Gotta sell them good feels.

wanabe movie critique
That's a lot of questions for one movie LOL.
Why not watch it again? I have-

The thing isolated becomes incomprehensible
Just wanted to say I saw the movie. Brill.

The blackhole thing went a little to far.
he would have been ripped to shreds.
Yeah, that was the only thing that made me doubt about the scientific precision of the movie. However, we don't know how does a black hole work so there's room to imagination!