The Last Samurai

Tools    

My life isn't written very well.
Okay people, what is this I'm hearing about Tom Cruise leading in a movie called The Last Samurai? I was watching the entertainment show Extra on TV tonight, and sure enough there was Tom holding a sword, while the announcer said he was in the process of filming it.

Please, has the whole world gone mad? Does anyone have any details about this? (Holden...?)

r66-The member who always asks WHY?

LS is currrently filming in New Zealand, Japan and Cali....

Comingsoon.net has alot of images ect....

Set in Japan during the 1870s, "The Last Samurai" tells the story of Capt. Nathan Algren (Cruise), an American military officer hired by the Emperor of Japan to train the country's first army in the art of modern warfare. As the government attempts to eradicate the ancient Samurai warrior class in preparation for more Westernized and trade-friendly policies, Algren finds himself unexpectedly affected by his encounters with the Samurai, which places him at the center of a struggle between two eras and two worlds, with only his own sense of honor to guide him.
Attachments
Click image for larger version

Name:	last-sam.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	32.6 KB
ID:	640  

They're supposed to have it ready for the end of the year.

It's being directed by Ed Zwick (Glory, Courage Under Fire, The Siege). He also co-wrote the screenplay with John Logan, one of the contributers to Gladiator and more recently Star Trek: Nemesis. Some of the other round-eyes in the cast are Billy Connolly, Tony Goldwyn, Scott Wilson, Timothy Spall and William Atherton.

The cinematographer is John Toll (Braveheart, The Thin Red Line, Vanilla Sky) so it'll at least be pretty to look at, and Connolly is always engaging, but frankly this isn't one I'm looking forward to. Sounds like a big budget, mainstream, action version of "Shogun" to me, and I ain't interested.

Eh.
"Film is a disease. When it infects your bloodstream it takes over as the number one hormone. It bosses the enzymes, directs the pineal gland, plays Iago to your psyche. As with heroin, the antidote to Film is more Film." - Frank Capra

I See You When You're Sleeping
I've been reading up this movie for a while now, it looks really good.

not bad looking....not bad looking at all

I am having a nervous breakdance
What about the First Samurai? Is everybody forgetting about him?? I mean, he's the one who started it all like...... billions of years ago. Don't you think that guy should have at least some cred? Ooooh nooooo, you just want the newest hottest coolest samurai, yes sir, you do. To you it's not about honesty and soul, to you it's just about shallow surface - to be hip. Just like cars or cowboy hats. Well, I for someone is taking this opportunity to greet the man, the myth, the kimono - the First Samurai! You'll always be my number one samurai. Here's to you, old buddy....

--------

They had temporarily escaped the factories, the warehouses, the slaughterhouses, the car washes - they'd be back in captivity the next day but
now they were out - they were wild with freedom. They weren't thinking about the slavery of poverty. Or the slavery of welfare and food stamps. The rest of us would be all right until the poor learned how to make atom bombs in their basements.

I live in the city where Tom Cruise is staying, New Plymouth, NZ. Just from this movie being here has really increased alot of hype around the place, some days you can see billy collonly walking downtown, etc.
I work at the movie theater here in new plymouth, one night tom came into see lord of the rings, so that was pretty cool.
I have visted sevral of the sets around the province and they look pretty good.
Its set fro release in early 2004 i believe.

The tentative release date for The Last Samurai here in the States is December 5th, 2003. Of course that'll mean early 2004 for the most of rest of the world, including New Zealand.

Do you know my poetry?
Yeah I saw the trailer for it during The Matrix Reloaded and it looks like a pretty good movie

Master Of My Destiny
Originally Posted by Ezikiel
Yeah I saw the trailer for it during The Matrix Reloaded and it looks like a pretty good movie

i saw it too ezekiel,man i want to see it. looked cool

Enemies are so stimulating.
i personally can not wait to see this film. from the first time i heard the title i was just liek wow! i love samurai swords they just rule. plus i dont mind tom cruise that much. he has been in many good films so i dont hold any grudges against him. i think he will do this film well and as long as i see someones limbs flying through the air i will be happy. if i dont get it from this i know i can turn to kill bill for the blood bath.
I don't have Parkinson's. I inherited my shaking head from my grandfather Hepburn. I discovered that whisky helps stop the shaking. Problem is, if you're not careful, it stops the rest of you too. My head just shakes, but I promise you, it ain't gonna fall off!

I'm interested in this film mainly because I'm interested in Japan and Japanese culture in general. I hope I won't have to pick the film apart in the factual mistakes department...although, the mere idea of a caucasian samurai is nearly well science fictional.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
I'm interested in this film mainly because I'm interested in Japan and Japanese culture in general. I hope I won't have to pick the film apart in the factual mistakes department...although, the mere idea of a caucasian samurai is nearly well science fictional.
have you seen any films by a director called ozu....i think thats right. i did a bit on him for the last part of my film studies course last year. his films are all about family values and stuff.

The guy who did Tokyo Story (Tokyo Monogatari) ? I heard of him, but haven't seen his works personally...Linespalsy likes the guy though.

Originally Posted by Mairosu
The guy who did Tokyo Story (Tokyo Monogatari) ? I heard of him, but haven't seen his works personally...Linespalsy likes the guy though.

yes i think it was tokyo story that i saw but dont remember. i think he is ok but because the films are literaly like he put the camera in the room for us to observe the family as they pass the room it can drag a little. if you are interested in the techniques of film making i supose it might be interesting but i could only handle it for about an hour and then i started to get a bit bored. but it was good. he films from a really low angle so that it seems like you are sitting on the floor looking up at everyone. and when he does the shot reverse shots the actors look right into the camera as though they are talking to you rather than the person they are facing. its very strange at first but once you have seen one the next doesnt seem so strange. i dont remember which other one i saw.

Originally Posted by sisboombah
i dont remember which other one i saw.
Probably Floating Weeds.

Originally Posted by jrs
New clip teaser that came out today is here
ooo *wobbling* thank you

i wish i had a samurai sword....i could make a fruit salad in style.

Haven't seen a thread on this one yet, so I thought I'd start one.

This movie looked so bad. I saw the teaser a few months ago when it first began playing in front of films. Then, just this past weekend, I saw the full trailer, and wow. That's really all I can say.

I mean, it looks like an action movie, where previously, I thought it'd just be a drama with some action, since it's coming out around Oscar time. But it looks pretty good. Better than I thought to say the least.