Why do you think psychological horror suddenly developed 1950s-70s?

Tools    

Hello! This is my first post on this site but also for my coursework for college. I am trying to create a presentation as to why the genre psychological horror suddenly developed in the 1950s and why and it would mean a lot to me if I could get a few answers to use as primary research. Alongside this it would be great if you could tell me what you consider to be iconic psychological horror films. PLEASE HELP THANK YOU

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for but I think psychological horror would be horror movies that affect the way people do things in real life.

For example, many people who saw the movie Jaws didn't go swimming in the ocean for years afterwards.

And people who saw Hitchcock's Psycho were afraid to take a shower. (Hitchcock's answer to why that scene took place in the shower was "Would you rather that she was on the toilet?".)

You're in college? Might want to work on the whole grammar and sentence structure thing.

The Haunting (1963)
The Shining is also great but it's a little later than you're suggested time period.

"#GAMEOVER420BLAZIT" -bluedeed

Did it? European horror had already been more psychological than classic monster horrors since the 20's, at least. However, I doubt it's a coincidence that WWII and Korea happened before/around the same time. Ditto the 'rebirth' of horror in the 70's and 80's after Vietnam. It might be worth looking at the emergence of the serial killer (as we know it) in these decades, too.

Lord High Filmquisitor
I largely believe that it's an extension of the censorship of the Production Code. The Code inherently limited what could be shown in a film, leading filmmakers to have to deal more closely with non-grotesque subjects: ie, the mind.

If anything, I think that it was at its height in the 40s with the films of Jacques Tourneur. Check out Cat People (1942) and I Walked with a Zombie (1943) as examples of what I'm talking about.

A system of cells interlinked
I presume you mean this only related to film, as psychological horror had been around for much longer in literature.

As far as film is concerned, it's clear the horrors of both World War II, followed by the paranoia and fear brought about by the cold war played a huge part in the rise of the genre in film. The possibility of nuclear holocaust coupled with the waves of fear spurned by McCarthyism and other fear movements of the era are clearly influential. There are the horror flicks themselves, and also elements of psych-horror in other genres, as well. Consider the late-cycle film noir Kiss Me Deadly, with its secret case that contains a mysterious glowing object that burns whomever goes near it. The contents of the case are radioactive, burning and searing whomever opens the case, leaving them forever scarred. Clearly based around the fear of nuclear holocaust that was running rampant at the time.

So, not only did the actual genre of psychological horror flicks emerge during that time, the concepts spilled out into other genres, as well. In this case, a private detective flick. If the image looks familiar, that's because other, more recent filmmakers have paid homage to this film, and that shot in particular, in films like Raiders of the Lost Ark, Repo Man, and Pulp Fiction.

So, not only can you pinpoint the exact reasons for the movement, but also, one can track the influence across the years as various films from subsequent decades reveal influences and concepts that clearly link back to this era.

So, there you have it: I cite the two biggest influences in Psychological Horror in film to be World War 2 and The Cold War.

You're in college? Might want to work on the whole grammar and sentence structure thing.

The Haunting (1963)
The Shining is also great but it's a little later than you're suggested time period.
...This is an internet forum. Grammar and sentence structure were the last thing on my mind, I sincerely apologise that the conversational and lazy use of the English language offended you so that you felt you had to draw attention to it. Thank you for your input, very kind.