Marry Me

Tools    

The pilot for this new NBC sitcom stars Casey Wilson and Ken Marino as Annie and Jake, a couple who have been dating for six years and when Jake finally proposes, Annie has a meltdown that ruins the moment and when she tries to propose to him, that doesn't go well either. This was the start of a really interesting idea because it seemed like what was being set-up was that each episode would contain a proposal and a huge fight between the couple but they seemed to have resolved their differences at the end of the pilot, so I am curious to see where the show is going to go now. Wilson and Marino are funny and have some chemistry as is John Gemberling as Jake's best friend and JoBeth Williams (where has she been?) as Jake's mother. Dan Bucatinksy and Tim Meadows are very funny as Annie's gay fathers but they weren't given enough to do in the pilot. I am interested to see if the premise that was established in the pilot will be recovered, but the writing is decent and the cast is game. If you liked Happy Endings, which also starred Wilson, you will probably like this.

Love Happy Endings a ton, so I'm totally on this train. The pilot was just so-so (and a lot of critics have skewered it), but I have total confidence that it'll be extremely funny when it's had a little time to find its footing, given the pedigree of everyone involved (and the frequency with which pretty much all good comedies take a little while to get going).

You can't make a rainbow without a little rain.
I watched the pilot of "Marry Me", and I thought it was pretty funny, but I didn't see the show having longevity.

But then I watched the pilot a second time (with hubby), and it was even funnier the second time because some jokes made more sense when I already knew what was coming up.

I liked the pilot enough that I'll definitely give this show a chance, but my expectations aren't very high for this show.

It wouldn't have longevity if it tried to keep to its premise, but it almost certainly won't. Happy Endings was originally, ostensibly about what happens to a group of friends when one of the people in the group leaves another at the altar, but after half a season it was just about the group of friends and whatever they were doing. I'm pretty sure this is gonna end up the same way.

I saw a TV critic talking about this the other day, about how most network comedies need a "hook" or some high concept premise to get on the air, but in order to stay funny they have to abandon it pretty quickly.

It wouldn't have longevity if it tried to keep to its premise, but it almost certainly won't. Happy Endings was originally, ostensibly about what happens to a group of friends when one of the people in the group leaves another at the altar, but after half a season it was just about the group of friends and whatever they were doing. I'm pretty sure this is gonna end up the same way.

I saw a TV critic talking about this the other day, about how most network comedies need a "hook" or some high concept premise to get on the air, but in order to stay funny they have to abandon it pretty quickly.

Yeah, but this show lost its premise in the very first episode, so I have no idea where they're planning to go from here. I like the chemistry between the two main characters, so if the writers don't screw it up, this show has potential.

Thank you for posting this, because I joined Happy Endings about halfway into the season and for the life of me, couldn't figure out what the premise was...who left who at the altar?

Alex left Dave at the altar. For a guy wearing roller blades. You'd never know it by watching the show itself, but it was promoted almost entirely on that premise:

Great show. Really miss it.

Just finished watching the Halloween episode of Marry Me...some very funny stuff, the show is basically just Happy Endings with different characters, but it is funny.

Last episode I watched was very funny which found Ken Marino's character forced to make an effort to get to know Annie's gay dads better, which was hysterical because, frankly, Tim Meadows and Dan Bucatinsky are the funniest part of this show.

I've been watching "Marry Me" every week, but it's not really growing on me. I like Ken Marino, so for now, I'm sticking with the show, but it really only has some small chuckles every week, not any really big laughs.