Of Two Minds (2012)

→ in
Tools    

Not to be confused with the TV movie from the same year of the same title with Kristin Davis Of Two Minds tells the very real story of people who live with Manic Depressive/Bi-polar disorder, how they cope, what it means to them as they try to just live their lives but what it does not do is presume to have all of the answers or know what all the questions are.

I came across this by accident last night, I had not intended to watch something nearly as intense as this on a saturday night when all I wanted to do was just relax but there we are. Not once however did I think of stopping this film, it's dark, it's upsetting and it is real but it is also slightly comedic, honest and upfront and I think anyone who has to deal with any kind of mental illness would benefit from watching this. Whilst I watched it I could almost quote what the people were going to say not because I had seen the film before but because I was there with them and could understand what they were going through and what can make life so hard at times.

It is also very sensitive in that it does not patronise, it does not give any indication that mental disorders are quite literally, all in your head and are not a real thing. It also does not give the idea of "oh just pull yourself together" and it certainly does not glamorise the material in the way that some hollywood productions tend to do because it wants to make a more compelling story,

This is a real story, this is not a dramatization and it is raw but as I say, if you or anyone else around you suffers from some kind of illness it is worth watching, I found it on Netflix UK so you may be able to get it elsewhere depending on where you are.

I am not going to give this a rating because it feels almost inappropriate to do so but I will be keeping this in my list for a long time.

I just saw this last night and thought this was very hopeful for my family and I.. I have a sister who has it a long with other illnesses and its been hard but i know she will get there!!!