The MoFo Top Animated Films List - Voting

→ in
Tools    

The Mofo Top Animated Films List

***VOTING IS CLOSED***

So after much debate, bickering and confusion, it seems that I have been put in charge of running this monster and I'm going to do it my way. Please read the following carefully to avoid any further confusion and drama:

Rules and Guidelines for Voting

The deadline for entries is 12:00 a.m. (midnight) Pacific Time on December 1st, 2014.
As soon as my clock strikes midnight on the night of November 30th, it's too late to vote.

Submit your ranked list of twenty-five titles, numbered 1-25 with no ties, to me via a private message with the title "[Your Username] - MoFo Animated Films List.” DO NOT post your list in this thread. Any member who publicly posts a list before the countdown is complete, whether it is your “final” list or not, will be disqualified as a voter.

• If you are truly having difficulty compiling a list of 25 animated films but would still like to participate, I will accept ballots of fewer than 25 films and will score them the same as a full ballot of 25. However, partial ballots will not be accepted any earlier than November 17, 2014.

If you’re in need of recommendations, please review this thread: Recommendations: Animated Films

Once you have submitted your list to me, it is considered final. I will not accept any changes after the fact, except when questions of eligibility arise or if there is a mistake in numbering (such as a missing number), so make sure you are completely satisfied with your list before submitting.

Your list must be ranked in numerical order. Films will be awarded points as follows: 25 points for 1st place, 24 points for 2nd place, 23 for 3rd and so on, all the way down to one point for your 25th placed film.

New members can send in a list as soon as they've been a member here for 30 days.

For the purposes of this list, animation is defined as follows:

The process of giving the illusion of movement to drawings, models, or inanimate objects. This includes traditional line drawn animation, computer generated imagery (CGI), rotoscope, and stop motion animation. Films made using animatronics, marionettes, or other types of puppets filmed in real time do not qualify. Acceptable CGI films must be not be attempting photorealism. To be eligible, a film must be mostly animated. Films with some live action scenes, such as those found in WALL•E are acceptable, but hybrid films such as Who Framed Roger Rabbit and CG special effects heavy films such as the Star Wars prequels and the Pirates of the Caribbean series are not. I will keep and update a list of ineligible titles in the next post of this thread.

Short films will be accepted.

A short film is defined as a film with a duration of less than 40 minutes. I will accept televised shorts such as those found in shows like Looney Tunes, but you must vote for a particular short (e.g. “What’s Opera, Doc?”), not for the show as a whole. I will not accept entire television episodes or entire series, those belong in the TV countdown. However, keep in mind that the pool of televised shorts is huge and the chances of any one of them making the list is very small. If a particular short appears as part of a feature length film, such as The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie (1979), you may vote for the feature rather than for the individual short, but I will leave it up to the voters' discretion at least for now (so far people seem to be voting for the individual shorts). However, you must decide between them. A single ballot cannot contain both "What's Opera, Doc?" and The Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Movie, for example. If this issue proves to be problematic once votes start coming in, I will adjust the ruling as needed.

For some ideas of other types of short films that may qualify, here is a list of animated shorts that were nominated for an Academy Award: Wikipedia - Academy Award For Best Animated Short Film.

One-off television specials and made for TV movies are eligible for voting. Examples of eligible TV specials and movies: How the Grinch Stole Christmas, The Lorax (1972), It's the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown, and Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer.

Films that are sequels or are part of a trilogy or series, like Toy Story and Shrek, must be voted for individually.

Animated films will be accepted from any and all countries. Yes, this includes anime movies and shorts, but does not include television shows. So if you’re going to vote for Puella Magi Madoka Magica, only the films will be accepted and must be voted for individually.

When voting for foreign language films, include the English language title of the film (when applicable) on your ballot. Including IMDb links would be very helpful as well. You may put both the original title and the English title, but it will be easier for me to tabulate the results if I am not accidentally counting one film as two. I will have enough issues with films that have multiple English language titles.

If you are unsure of the eligibility of a particular title, please PM me or ask in this thread and I will make every effort to respond promptly. If I am unfamiliar with a particular title and my research does not clarify its eligibility, I will ask the opinion of other MoFos - but the final decision will be mine to make.

I am conceiving this as a Top 100 List. HOWEVER if the results of the voting suggest that a Top 50 List is more appropriate, I reserve the right to reduce the length accordingly. You’ve been warned.

The start of the actual countdown will be determined at a later date. The time I start will be dependent on how quickly I am able to tabulate the results and prepare my posts and how many lists will require editing due to ineligible titles and other errors.

I am looking for some assistance with graphics. I would like to get a nice header image for the list and maybe some stylized numbers to put before each film title. If you have some ideas for graphics and would like to help, please PM your ideas to me or if you don't mind public scrutiny you can post them in this thread. Keep in mind, however, that I may not ultimately use them. Please do not send me your ideas if there is even the slightest chance that you’ll take offense if I decide to use somebody else’s work.

So get watching, get those lists in and have fun!

List of Ineligible Films:

(These are films that you may not vote for. I will update this list as needed)

Who Framed Roger Rabbit
Space Jam
Pete’s Dragon
Cool World
Enchanted
Stuart Little
Sin City
Star Wars prequels
Team America: World Police
Pirates of the Caribbean Series
King Kong
Jason and the Argonauts
Alice (1988)
Faust (1994)
Conspirators of Pleasure
Little Otik
Lunacy
Surviving Life
Song of the South
Hop
Alvin and the Chipmunks (2007) and its various sequels.
Garfield the Movie (2004)
The Congress
The Smurfs (2011) and its sequel
Mary Poppins
Monkeybone
Xanadu
Coonskin
Outer Space (Tscherkassky)
Jackboots On Whitehall
Cats & Dogs
Allegro Non Troppo (however, you may vote for the shorts individually)
The Adventures of Sinbad
Clash of the titans
Babe
Charlotte's Web (2006) (Obviously the 1973 version is acceptable)
Pink Floyd's The Wall
Tron
Pixar Shorts Collection (Vols. 1 and 2) (The shorts must be voted for individually)

Member Lists Received So Far:

teeter_g
TheUsualSuspect
The Rodent
Guaporense
BrowningIdentity
The Sci-Fi Slob
Miss Vicky
rauldc14
The Gunslinger45
Sexy Celebrity
Hello101
Erasmus Folly
s1n1st3r
Citizen Rules
Aniko
Christine
seanc
Chardee MacDennis
Godoggo
dadgumblah
Voigan
jirraffejustin
Camo
Holden Pike
Swan
Tokeza
neiba
mlaturno
Plan B
Gideon58
Rhys
Modine
urkillinmesmalls
Sedai
CinemaJack
nostromo87
the-young-turk
Film Trash Review
the samoan lawyer
Captain Spaulding
honeykid
meatwadsprite
mark f
Thursday Next
Mistique
Derek Vinyard
WBadger
John McClane
Nausicaä
gbgoodies
Iroquois
Sane
MingUsings
kathepburn
Funny Face
MovieMeditation
BlueLion
Arcanis
Weeman
Sinny McGuffins
sara f
Tenshi
Frightened inmate No. 2
Quill
JayDee
Yoda
LinesPalsy
Jal90
Pussy Galore
Friendly Mushroom!
Cricket
Skepsis93
Cobpyth
Harry Lime
Daniel M
wintertriangles
Loner
TylerDurden99
Gatsby

Nice work, MV.

I'll see if I can get a full list together, if not I'll be in touch around November 17th.

I can offer some help with graphics if you'd like too.

I'll probably throw together a banner, MV. Don't mind if you don't use it, I enjoy the process anyway.

Looking forward to this list now we've got all that drama out the way. Got lots of catching up to do.

And a leader has finally risen!

Good luck with this list, Miss Vicky. I'm sure you'll do a great job!

As usual, I'll probably be sending in my list last minute.

Glad the rules are settled. That was... intense.

I may try to do some graphics and show it to you if I think it's good enough, just for the heck of it. I used to be pretty good at Photoshop.

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ

Oh wait, the thread has started. Thank goodness Miss Vicky! Despite my bickering shenanigans, I quite look forward to this adventure.

It's a hybrid and people have voted against hybrids, so that's why she made that decision.

This list is for films that are almost completely animated, so Space Jam not being eligible seems fair to me.

You shouldn't go by what IMDb considers animation anyway. It includes Team America for some reason, which is in no way animation.

Are The Box Trolls eligible?
From what I've seen of the adverts, I'm going to tentatively say yes. Provided it is released before the deadline (I haven't paid much attention to it).

To clarify, is The Lego Movie eligible? It does have a longish live action scene, but it's primarily animation.