I have to confess, we braved the mobs and saw Guardians of the Galaxy, the latest Marvel movie last night. I have been surprised at the ratings in IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes, but yes, it is pretty good. Yes, it is a comic book movie, with a wise cracking raccoon super hero who is part of the team as well as a monosyllabic humanoid, walking tree who is a surprisingly sympathetic character. I’m not sure exactly why I liked it, but I did.

Chris Pratt, the likable, goofy Andy in Parks and Recreation hits the same notes as Peter Quill, an earthling kid who was kidnapped and prepared for his place in the galaxy as the self appointed “Star Lord”. Vin Diesel manages to be convincing as Groot, the animated tree, as does Zoe Suldana, who spends the movie being green (not too much of a change from her blue role in Avatar), except that she’s a trained weapon here.

There’s plenty of action, as a mysterious orb with unfathomable power becomes the bone of contention between the Guardians and the dark and mysterious Ronan, who lusts after the orb and will destroy anything in his way. You probably have already guessed that the universe is saved in the end, but things are sufficiently unresolved as to leave room for a sequel. Why did I like it? I’m not sure, except that it doesn’t take itself seriously, the characters are likable and the universe is saved for another movie. The plentiful digital FX are quite compelling, as is the art design and the obligatory Stan Lee cameo. It doesn’t go on for TOO long and, of course there’s that wise-cracking raccoon. What’s better than a funny rodent?