Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

→ in
Tools    

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums
I just saw this movie for the first time and it is awesome. The animation blends effortless with the acting and it has a noir Chinatownish plot. A great movie.

uhh....no offense...but this movie is...how old again?

The Mad Prophet of the Movie Forums

Not all that old, and animation had been used with live action acting in some older disney movies, but this movie took the blend animation and live action to completely new levels.

Are we only allowed to review brand new movies in here?

No..no...I was only saying...
post all the reviews you want on any movies, new or old...

You forgot to welcome him to the 21st Century, Senator Binks.

"Were do I come up with them?" (Balki impression... from Perfect Strangers?... You know, that T.V show?...... The one with the.... oh forget it.)

I guess I'm the one stuck in the past.

I love it Travis!!!

Put me in your pocket...
I saw this when it first came out and have always loved it, so I bought the DVD for my kids at Easter. They loooove it and must have watched it at least 7-8 times already, I've probably seen it 3x's with them. Very clever and funny. And your right Beale, the blending of animation and live acting is wonderful.

I love the scene were Eddie see's Jessica for the first time....singing and vamping down the stage. The look on Eddie's face is perfect.

And of course...
Jessica Rabbit: "You don't know how hard it is being a woman looking the way I do."

Eddie Valiant: "You don't know how hard it is being a man looking at a woman looking the way you do."

My kids love the physical comedy....preferably any scene where someone gets hurt....from the begining cartoon...to the end where Eddie causes the weasels to die laughing.

Definately worth seeing it again....reguardless of what some people say.

it's a contemporary classic
you can't go wrong with roger rabbit
loved by young and old world-wide

Respectful Beginner Critic
Regardless of what some people say, this movie will remain a pure classic. All the characters have their part to play, and the animation is just brilliant. It's also a very quotable movie.

The part where the shoe goes in the dip used to make me cry so hard.

I haven't watched that in years...alot of years.

Movie Forums Extra
First saw that in middle school

That's a nostalgic movie, was pretty funny. Still is these days.

I love that film such a classic. One of a kind. It is truly the only live action film that relies heavily on animated characters that works (Marry Poppins doesn't count since the animated characters were only in one scene) that works.

Roger Rabbit is one of my favorite cartoon characters of all time.

Bumping a 6 year old thread to say that Roger Rabbit turned 30 in June just gone

Pretty cool vid I found:

One thing that always gets me though, is I remember when the film was released and it was heavily marketed at kids.
There was even a promotion with breakfast cereals where they were giving out toys and games.
In the UK it carries a PG rating.

But the murder mystery, booze, sex, violence, and the very time it was set too...the movie is film-noir.
Sure it has whacky comedy and slapstick throughout, but I think the fact it has cartoons in it made the censors blind to the tone of the movie.
The story itself was also an allegory for racism in the 1940s and 50s.

Who Framed Roger Rabbit has to be one of the best movies of all time, if not for the story and technical ability, then surely for the way it fools every single person who watches it.

“Sugar is the most important thing in my life…”
Love threads that are full of ghosts!

Women will be your undoing, Pépé
great film and can't count how many times I've seen it. Along with everything that @Rodent mentioned it made a great tip of the hat to the animation of Disney and Merrie Melodies/Warner Bros during that time. It also ignited a revisit to that similar style of cartoon antics that guys like Clampbett and Avery were masters at.

Is it just me or does it seem like its become a bit of a forgotten giant after release? I mean no its far from unknown yet compared to a lot of the icons of 80's blockbuster cinema like ET, Starwars, Indiana Jones, Ghostbusters or Zemeckis's own Back to the Future it feels like its talked about far less.

I mean that's surely not due to a lack of success at the time as it raked it in and I wouldn't really say a lack of quality either as when it is discussed its generally praised. Maybe the issue is that coming out in 1988 it ended up being overshadowed by the advent of large scale CGI in the early 90's and the shift in the tone of blockbusters?

The film got a lot of hype at the time(indeed one of the first films I was old enough to really pick up on it doing so aged 10) but I think you could perhaps argue that actually a lot of the long term cultural memory of many of those 80's blockbusters depended just as much or more on bedding in on VHS and cable for several years afterwards. Yet I think you could argue Roger Rabbit didn't get as much time to do that before trends turned against it with the likes of T2, Jurassic Park, etc.