Movie philosophy!

Tools    

hey movie fans, everyone has a different take on movie making and what it means to them. everyone sees filmmaking differently and it would be very interesting to hear everyone's opinions on everything filmmaking. if you were a director, how would you direct your actors? if you were the director of photography, what kind of camera work would you use? its these types of questions that i would like to see answered. feel free to put down any of your own quotes and thoughts about filmmaking and how it relates to you. what got you into film? whats your favorite genre? anything that you feel strongly about relating to film can be said here. go ahead and let your ideas fly

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
I'd use ultra-short takes and direct action movies with a lot of explosions and shootouts.
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Gangster Rap is Shakespeare for the Future
I'd use ultra-short takes and direct action movies with a lot of explosions and shootouts.
That's ripping Bela Tarr so hard!!

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
It would be hilarious to make a movie consisting of long takes. Like every take lasting for 12 minutes and then at the end put an action sequence with 1000 takes in 5 minutes.

Are you Michael Bay in real life?!

I am very much a fan of long takes with a lot of dialogue so that I can really engage in a character and what it is they are trying to do. One thing I always liked about the TV Program "Gilmore Girls" is that they used long takes in order to get the most out of a scene and to progress the story. If you gave me the option of twenty takes within a fifty minute film or or ten I would take ten because as long as it is done well I always think that is the better method for telling a story.

Dogme 95 is the way to go!

Shooting must be done on location. Props and sets must not be brought in (if a particular prop is necessary for the story, a location must be chosen where this prop is to be found).

The sound must never be produced apart from the images or vice versa. (Music must not be used unless it occurs where the scene is being shot.)

The camera must be hand-held. Any movement or immobility attainable in the hand is permitted.

The film must be in colour. Special lighting is not acceptable. (If there is too little light for exposure the scene must be cut or a single lamp be attached to the camera).

Optical work and filters are forbidden.

The film must not contain superficial action. (Murders, weapons, etc. must not occur.)

Temporal and geographical alienation are forbidden. (That is to say that the film takes place here and now).

Genre movies are not acceptable.

The film format must be Academy 35 mm.

The director must not be credited.

Cuts are severely underrated.

A film doesn't have to use long takes just for the sake of it. There has to be a purpose, there needs to be an effect on the audience because of it. The same goes with cuts.

Look at the famous shower scene in Psycho. That's a great example of why cuts are sometimes necessary to create tension or to transfer something in an interesting (artistic) way.

Every technique has its time and its place and all truly great directors knew/know that.

Mark f, if your comment was directed at my "Dogme 95", I still think directors should follow it. Personally, I think films like that are more high quality and realistic than how they are produced mainly here in the United States. Its because of this that I prefer more foreign films than American films. I want something that looks real, not a lot of hyped up special effects.

That's fine but that criteria rules out your Top 10 movies!
I have far more than 10 favorite movies... so no not really.. if there were more spaces I would have far more movies...

Edgar wright uses cuts very well, like in hot fuzz for example, he has lots of fast cuts so that he can 1: pay homage to those action movies that they love, and 2: create a frantic feeling and get your blood pumping. Edgar Wright is a great director and I feel that he could use long takes and fast cuts and still make a good movie.
Fire walk with me.