The Hobbit: The Battle Of The Five Armies

Tools    

Coming soon, may as well get a thread on it seeing as there's been some developments...

Yes, "There And Back Again" has been retitled to The Battle Of The Five Armies.

Jackson has stated that the original title had been the working title since they were planning only two parts... but the title for part two was pushed onto the third film so part two could be called Smaug.

Bilbo has also, in Jackson's words "Already been there and back again, when he took on Smaug in the second film"

So the retitling is basically down to There And Back Again no longer being a fitting title for the film.

I thought There and Back Again was a better title, but I get Jackson's reasoning behind changing it. Hopefully they can still use it for the box set or something.

Yeah I've read the books as well.

LOTR are condensed down a lot, Tolkien's ramblings are mostly left out. I remember in Fellowship, there's pages and pages with Hobbits talking about pumpkin growing.

The Hobbit has been stretched into 3 films whereas it was only one book, but I still enjoyed the films.

Jackson has had to take certain liberties with the films as they would have been almost impossible to make direct adaptions.
Maybe LOTR would be better suited as a 3000 part TV series.

I'm not old, you're just 12.
I enjoy the Hobbit movies, even if they aren't 100% by the book. I enjoy the adventure, the humor, the fun characters...I have no problems with the length or pacing of the films whatsoever. Can't wait for the third one. I will no doubt see it in 3D over Christmas break, just like with all the others, and I will have a fun night at the cinema. Thank you, Peter Jackson.

https://shawnsmovienight.blogspot.com/

Thane of Glamis, Thane of Cawdor, & King Hereafter
The Hobbit is my favorite book of all time, and despite the differences between book and films, I really like the movies, too.

I will not be paying to see this last installment, however I can't wait for the extended version that's sure to follow up on Blu-ray or DVD or whatever. A twelve hour Hobbit movie? I'm down!

Here's a trailer for the final installment:

I've talked a bit about my problems with this trilogy so far (though like everyone else, I loved Smaug). But even the trailer for this one feels wrong. For one, they're snatching Pippin's beautiful song and tossing it in where it really doesn't belong, presumably just to link the trilogies emotionally. But look at the kinds of things they set under it: totally inconsistent in tone with the stripped down nature of the music. They're playing it over numerous shots of the same kind of Universal Studios-the-movie-turned-ride CGI runabouting that pervaded the last two films. It clashes really badly.

I hope one day we get a fan edit that takes a hacksaw to a lot of the action sequences in this trilogy.

I really think that this trilogy's failure so far can be explained by two things: technically, on the Lucasian devolution into excessive green screenery. And narratively, on the attempt to turn it into Lord of the Rings Lite, rather than embracing the less grandiose, more whimsical style of the book, but ultimately not really choosing either completely.

My question has always been, why make three hobbit movies? I mean The first three movies were based on huge books. So therefore they were the ones that "could" have been made into 2 parts. The Hobbit was such a smaller book. I saw The Hobbit in bookstores and it was such a small book, that it was compacted into a tinier paperback. To me, it just didn't make any sense as to why The Hobbit needed to be a trilogy.

I saw the first one, and whilst I liked it, I have never felt compelled to watch the second one. I'll probably finally get to it once this own has been released.

I saw the first one, and whilst I liked it, I have never felt compelled to watch the second one. I'll probably finally get to it once this own has been released.
You can watch the second one digitally on pay per view for only $5.00. If you want.

Things that poster has: a man, a dragon, a town being torched, and a reference to a massive battle consisting of five armies.

Things that poster does not have: a hobbit.

All shall fade – Same recording as ROTK to boot. But sadly it will not be another 11 Oscars. I’ll watch it but it’s like eating fake crab versus real crab

As a huge fan of the LORD OF THE RINGS films, I'm sad to say I've been really lukewarm on these bloated HOBBIT pictures. I saw all three LOTRs at opening night midnight screenings and multiple times during each of their theatrical runs. I saw the first HOBBIT a couple of weeks after it came out, and I never even saw SMAUG until it landed on home video. It sounds hokey, but the magic feels gone to me. I really think Peter Jackson was able to create art from adversity on those first three films, but like George Lucas, he has no one to tell him "no" anymore. I'll see this last one, maybe in the cinema, but I'll be glad when someone else gets a chance to play in the storytelling sandbox that is Middle Earth, because Jackson has worn out his welcome.

when the first hobbit i saw it in theaters. all 3d and double frame rate per second. it did the impossible and made me think is this better than the lord of the rings? had awesome action scene nice dialogues and even a hint of sauron plot. but then the second came out and there was just nothing to it. the dragon scene was disappointing. i remember when i read the book the hobbit. the dragon was awesome. they like told bilbo oh dont feel bad about being outwitted dragons are very clever. anyway what peter jackson does is trilogies. when ever people asked me which of the three lord of the rings movies i liked best i always said its one 12 hours movie. so maybe the hobbit too is is one 12 hours movie and it will come together. haven't watched the trailer for the batlle of the five armies cause i dont watch trailers for movies that might be good. maybe there is a battle to rival that of the third lord of the rings. wouldn't that be something. and i wonder of the ending. would he do the same ending that never ends thing. could be nice