Confused about Steve McQueen - please help!

Tools    

Dear Anyone.

OK. I'm not good at movies. I don't go to the cinema much because I flat can't afford it - I watch ancient films online, mainly. And in them, one of my fave actors was always Steve McQueen. And he was reported as having died. I checked. And he's white.

Then I heard he'd just directed a movie called '12 Years A Slave', so I thought 'Well, he's not as dead as I thought he was'. So I turned on the TV - and there he was. And he was black.

Now I'm in no way racist, even though the above might sound so. I'm just puzzled. I know lots of Steve McQueen movies were black-and-white, so was he somehoe covering up being coloured in them? Or did I see the wrong person on Oscars night?

Can anyone help me out? (If you don't agree with me, google Steve McQueen and click Google Images. You'll see a ton of photos of him - and he really looks white in every one - APART from the Oscar-winning one!!)

Can someone clarify things for me?

Yours puzzledly

ulrichburke (this is the question I joined the forum to ask, btw).

Yeah, I'm pretty sure that the dead white American actor who would be in his 80s (if he was alive) and the black English director in his 40s are the same person. Didn't click on Miss Vicky's links though - maybe they will show something different ...