Pacific Rim

Tools    

I have a passion for Godzilla and the movies, so a friend suggested I watch Pacific Rim. IS this movie like Godzilla and if so in what aspects? I have yet to see it.

It's good if you like brainless action.

Giant robots smashing giant monsters.

There's a bit of a story behind it... but it's not great and just used as filler between the action scenes.

Worth a watch if you like smash-em-ups.

This was my 'review' in Rate The Last Movie You Watched...

Pacific Rim

Giant robots going head to head with giant monsters.

Visually and erm, actionery, actioni... actionif... actionally, it's everything Transformers and Godzilla want to be.

Story wise, a bit lacking... it's all about the 'bots striking a pose while they smash, and get smashed by, giant creatures with blue spit.

Idris Elba is best on show... as always he plays it very well.
Everyone else though, pretty wooden.
Especially crap British Soap Opera actor Robert Kazinski, who seems to allow his accent go from American to Australian to cod British to something that sounds reminiscent of South African to something I think he made up, within the space of a few lines of dialogue.

And I have no idea what kind of character the other crap British Soap Opera actor, Burn Gorman, was trying to portray.

If any other director had made it, it would be regarded as surprisingly good, maybe even decent, but from the likes of Guillermo Del Toro? This feels a bit rushed in the writing department. I'd have expected a bit more from him in the story stakes.

Still, in a good way it feels like a throwback to the epic disaster films and monster features of the olden days... just this time round the SFX are absolutely outstanding and the action sequences are highly polished.

Simply a popcorn smash'em up... needed a little bit more in the writing dept. to make me really care about the characters.

Yeah, it's definitely Godzilla-esque. I don't know which version of Godzilla you're comparing it to, or how similar you want it to be, but in the broad spectrum of movies, you're talking about something with its own mythology about giant monsters that come out of the sea. So if you ranked every movie in terms of "similarity to Gojira," this would be in the 99th percentile.

I've watched this several times and enjoy it immensely. If you're looking for something in the same vein as a Godzilla flick, you could do a lot worse than this one. This is a solid
for me.

I liked Pacific Rim. Beings from another dimension want to take over Earth and do it by cloning giant monsters and sending them through a dimensional rift. The only way to fight them, since they turn up near or in cities (so no nukes), is by using giant robots.

If you like Godzilla, you'll like it. If not, you won't.