RIP Shirley Temple

Tools    

Ohhh, it is so sad. I used to like all the movies with Shirlie when I was child. My favorite movie is The little princess. RIP Little Shirley

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I had to watch Shirley Temple's movies at an early age because my babysitter loved her, and they showed her movies on Saturday nights when she usually sat me. I watched them, but I wasn't too happy because I had no choice, and there were lots of cool TV shows I (a kid of six) wanted to watch instead. Years later, I rewatched them and could see that Shirley could do just about everything. My favorite parts of her early movies are when she dances with the great Bill "Bojangles" Robinson. I would post my fave scenes of them, except 1.) most on YouTube are colorized, and 2.) whenever these joyous scenes are posted, somebody rants on about slavery and racism.

As a teenager, she had major roles in the David O. Selznick WWII tearjerker Since You Went Away, the screwball comedy The Bachelor and the Bobby-Soxer where she was judge Myrna Loy's younger sister and was in love with Cary Grant, and John Ford's Fort Apache, where she played opposite her real life husband John Agar. But she was never the superstar she was in the '30s.

Anyway, thanks for the memories, Shirley!

R.I.P.

I recall having to watch those movies because my sister and mother loved them. On the one hand, I could not stand them but on the other, I have to admit that she was amazingly talented and poised for a kid of her age with a full-bore movie career. Her movies were among the most profitable of the era.

I have to confess that I have never watched a Shirley Temple movie from beginning to end, but I know what a contribution that little girl made to cinematic history and what the adult did for world relations. This is a great loss...RIP, Shirley.

The Bachelor and The Bobby Soxer is one of the all time greats. I dare anyone not to love that movie.