Jersey Girl

→ in
Tools    

Kevin Smith delivers a new batch of awesome characters in this emotional tale. The level of genuine realness, matched with intelligence, is Smith's prominent style of writing; which is dominant in all his characters here. This is a heavily emotional film, so much so that I don't want to watch it again.
WARNING: "spoiler" spoilers below
I immediately fell in love with the characters so when tragedy struck I was just as devastated as Ben Affleck.
And it doesn't let up too often. Kevin Smith will tap into your emotional grid and hit the sad button repeatedly and unexpectedly. The story is pretty formulaic, but when a master handles the formula, magic happens. I love that I loved the movie, yet don't want to go through that experience again, though it would be interesting to see if it is as powerful on a second watch, as the first.

This movie was so dull and Ben Affleck has rarely been so annoying (except maybe SURVIVING CHRISTMAS). I did like George Carlin as his dad and as a theater fan, I was very pleased with the nod to SWEENEY TODD.