Kids

→ in
Tools    

Larry Clark is known for making some of the most controversial films over the last thirty years and it all started in 1995 with the film Kids.

Set around a twenty four hour period in New York Kids follows two teenagers Casper and Telly as they walk around looking for drugs, alcohol and girls to whom they can have sex with. We see them go from location to location doing different things including stealing from one the kids mothers, buying weed and learning how to roll a blunt to taking the virginity of a under age teenage girl (and that is in the first minute of the film). The main point of controversy was just how old that girl was in real life and it has to my knowledge be proven she was legal to be in the scene that she was but to see it first hand does make you wonder.

This is not a nice film; but then again it is not meant to be, Larry Clark commissioned Harmony Korine (who himself was only 18 at the time) to write the screenplay "so the story could come from the inside, from the point of view of the kids."

As I say this is not meant to be a nice film, it is not written that way, although there is no official tag line I am quite sure it was "do you know where your kids?" and given the subject matter this is a far comment. Do parents really know what their children are doing? One reviewer stated "a wake-up call to the world" and again I think never a truer statement has been made.

This is a horrible film but I think it is also an important film, the story is one that should be told if only to make parents realise that as much as they love their offspring and as much as they want to believe they are good some turn out bad and if it is not kept in check? Things can go wrong.

To this day it does not fail to shock me so I guess this is kind of the point and it has done it's job. It is not a film you will find on the shelves of HMV, I remember seeing it by buying it in a discount bin at my local Spar supermarket and I am quite sure had the known what it was it would have been pulled.

See it, consider the message and decide if it is important, self indulgent, dangerous or just plain glorification of sex, drugs and alcohol. Whatever the case it will stick in the back of your mind for a long time afterwards.

Finished here. It's been fun.
Movie isn't bad, like a
. Its certainly a more realistic depiction of teenage life than most films I'll give it that.

I've had this on my to see list as I'm a big fan of Clark's Bully. I always assumed Harmony Korine was a woman; what a weird name for a dude.

Finished here. It's been fun.
I am undecided about Harmony Korine, Like I can't say he's a good filmmaker but some of his films do have a certain aura around them. Gummo is one of the oddest films I've ever seen.

I am undecided about Harmony Korine, Like I can't say he's a good filmmaker but some of his films do have a certain aura around them. Gummo is one of the oddest films I've ever seen.
I haven't seen Gummo or many of Korines film but I did watch Ken Park, I don't remember much about it and I may see it again but I just remember it being very bizarre. Has anyone seen Bully? That is a very twisted film by Clark apparently based on a true story.

I haven't seen Gummo or many of Korines film but I did watch Ken Park, I don't remember much about it and I may see it again but I just remember it being very bizarre. Has anyone seen Bully? That is a very twisted film by Clark apparently based on a true story.
I loved Bully. There's also another movie called Mean Creek, which is the same story, but a lot tamer. Bully is the reason I want to see his other films. I saw Another Day in Paradise and that was decent also.

Do you think people like Larry Clark are important film makers and break down boundaries that require to be done so or do you think there is a level of controversy for the sake of it?

Do you think people like Larry Clark are important film makers and break down boundaries that require to be done so or do you think there is a level of controversy for the sake of it?
It's a tough question, but I think it's a little of both. He has a real knack at showing a white trash America, that a lot of us don't get to see. I do have a certain fascination with his films. There are many critics though that believe he is a real pervert. It is interesting that his films all seem to deal with young characters, much younger then him, and that some of his movies contain pretty explicit sex. Bully contains quite a few sex scenes, but I think they add to the movie. It kind of shows how aimless these kids are, and how they only care about bangin and getting high. But there's another scene in the movie where Bijou Phillips character is sitting outside talking to another girl. It's not a sex scene, but suddenly the camera zooms right in on her crotch. She has little panties on, but they don't cover everything and you see a lot. This really comes out of nowhere because it has nothing to do with anything that's going on. I can't figure out any other reason to do this, other than to shock. I think questioning this guy's motives are a legitimate question.

Sorry Harmonica.......I got to stay here.
I remember the image from watching years back, some slobbering kid on top of a confused girl-- disturbing movie