North by Northwest - A Survey

Tools    

Hello movieforums.com. I'm new here but I come to you with a request.

I'm doing some research for a paper on the influence of ideology (cultural, political, cinematic) on the reception of Alfred Hitchcock's 1959 "North by Northwest", a movie I'm sure many if not most of you have seen. In order to do this, I need responses from regular people, both young and old (a good mix would actually be ideal), people who you might call "amateurs" rather than film critics, journalists, etc. I'd like to point out that I'm not asking you to write my paper for me, but rather that the information you give me will be used in constructing certain arguments around the film that would be impossible to discuss without your participation.

I don't know whether people come here with such requests often and I don't expect any of you to take hours out of your day to help out some dude on the internet, but if you have any opinion about the movie it would be great to hear it, even if you don't complete the entire survey. As a disclaimer, I must point out that if what you say feels particularly useful to my analysis I will quote you in my article, without disclosing any names of course, as that is unnecessary for what I'm doing. That said, here's the template for what I would need filled in; even short answers will be useful, but feel free to write as much as you want as I will carefully go through all your posts:

Nationality (Optional, if you wouldn't like me to know, that's ok):

Favourite Film Genre/Movement/Director (choose one or more):

What drove you to see the film in the first place?

What is your favourite scene/sequence in the film OR what do you think is the most effective scene?

What do you think doesn't work (in terms of character building, narrative, dialogue, pacing, themes, etc.)?

If you were to describe the film to someone, would you say it should be watched as pure entertainment, or should one scan it for deeper meanings, or perhaps it's somewhere in between?

(Optional) Any personal opinions on Alfred Hitchcock as a director in general?

Thank all of you very much in advance. Please post in the topic or message me if you've got any further questions or need any other information, as I will be very happy to help.

Nationality (Optional, if you wouldn't like me to know, that's ok): Quebec (French part of Canada)

Favourite Film Genre/Movement/Director (choose one or more): Genre I'd say Thriller and Western, Movement I honestly know the names French New Wave and Italian Neorealistic, but don't really know much about these. My favourite directors are Hitchcock, Tarantino, Leone, Fincher, Nolan, Miyazaki

What drove you to see the film in the first place? I loved Rear Window and Psycho

What is your favourite scene/sequence in the film OR what do you think is the most effective scene? It's been a while since I've seen it, but I remember at the end of the film there is a chase scene on a certain mountain that I was really impressed about. Especially taking in consideration the year it was made.

What do you think doesn't work (in terms of character building, narrative, dialogue, pacing, themes, etc.)? Like I said it's been a while since I saw it an I remember loving it so I would need to rewatch it in order to give you an answer to that question

If you were to describe the film to someone, would you say it should be watched as pure entertainment, or should one scan it for deeper meanings, or perhaps it's somewhere in between? I'd say somewhere between I really think it's Hitchcock's most entertaining movie, but thedouble face of Eva Marie Saint is really interesting as well

(Optional) Any personal opinions on Alfred Hitchcock as a director in general? I have seen about 15 films of him and I liked all of them (I voluntarily avoid watcjing Topaz, Torn Curtain, etc.) I love him, he has a very unique style of suspense that no one else ever achieved. The only criticicism I could give him is that his films might be a little redundant, but I don't care redundancy if it's that good.

I hope it helped you and sorry for my English it's not perfect.

Nationality (Optional, if you wouldn't like me to know, that's ok): Earth

Favourite Film Genre/Movement/Director (choose one or more): Science fiction/movies reflecting the mentality of the late cold war period /Hayao Miyazaki

What drove you to see the film in the first place? It was in a list of DVDs that I had listing the essential movies according to a film critic at a local magazine.

What is your favourite scene/sequence in the film OR what do you think is the most effective scene?

The one with the airplane.

What do you think doesn't work (in terms of character building, narrative, dialogue, pacing, themes, etc.)?

I have forgotten much of the movie by now since I watched it about 4 years ago and it did not stick with me that much. I found it generally quite ineffective as an action thriller, it feels like an ancient James Bond movie so I found it rather dated (even if compared to other Hitchcock movies like Psycho and Vertigo).

If you were to describe the film to someone, would you say it should be watched as pure entertainment, or should one scan it for deeper meanings, or perhaps it's somewhere in between?

Pure entertainment. You can find more meanings if you look closely, I guess, but I haven't. Maybe I will watch it again someday.

He was a very good director. Though, since he is probably the single most influential director ever according to popular opinion, I guess I can say that I find his work to be slightly overrated. He got 3 movies in my top 200 but many other directors got more movies than that of they were ranked higher.

Lord High Filmquisitor

Nationality: Illinoisan (American)

Favorite Genre: Horror

Favorite Movement: Dogme 95

Favorite Director: Alfred Hitchcock

Why I first saw the movie: My parents had rented it while I was back from college. I love Hitchcock (particularly Psycho and Rope) and was happy to join them.

Most effective / favorite scene: It is the scene in which the protagonist is sneaking around the antagonist's house, just prior to the Mt. Rushmore chase scene. It is textbook Hitchcockian suspense which leads organically into the film's thrilling conclusion.

What doesn't work: Nothing in particular stands out as not working. If I were to levy a criticism of something not working as well as the rest, it's that the first quarter or so of the film isn't as interesting of a mystery as I feel it ought to be and far from as exciting / tense as the film eventually becomes.

How to describe it: It's certainly more "strictly entertaining" than most of Hitchcock's other films, although it is far from being devoid of artistic merit or unworthy of analysis. I would say it's about 80% entertainment, 20% artistry.

Opinion of Hitchcock: Among his greatest strengths are his mastery of not only tension / release, but light / color. Psycho , Rope and Rebecca are the films in which he achieves this best. Likewise, his mastery over suggestion / innuendo and occasional (but brilliantly used) tracking shots reveal a greater patience and restraint than any other director that I can think of, especially those who delve in horror / thriller films.

Lord High Filmquisitor
Also, I always think of this when I think about the movie:

Nationality : USA

Favorite Genre: Thriller

Favorite Movement: 80's and 90's action

Favorite Director (choose one or more): Martin Scorsese

What drove you to see the film in the first place? It was on the AFI Top 100, and I wanted to see all of them.

The scene where the bi plane chases Carey Grant.

Not AS much suspense as the other Hitchcock movies I have seen.

Sit back, relax and enjoy the ride!

Master of suspense and should be studied for years to come!

Thanks a lot guys, this is a great start. Looking forward to more answers!

Pussy,you're a man?!

Nationality (Optional, if you wouldn't like me to know, that's ok):Australian

Favourite Film Genre/Movement/Director (choose one or more): Late Spring/Don't Know/Wong Kar Wai

What drove you to see the film in the first place? Can't remember

What is your favourite scene/sequence in the film OR what do you think is the most effective scene? Early parts of the film - especially the relationship between Cary Grant & Eva Marie Saint.

What do you think doesn't work (in terms of character building, narrative, dialogue, pacing, themes, etc.)? It all gets a bit silly in search of excitement/adventure.

If you were to describe the film to someone, would you say it should be watched as pure entertainment, or should one scan it for deeper meanings, or perhaps it's somewhere in between? Pure entertainment.

(Optional) Any personal opinions on Alfred Hitchcock as a director in general? A great director. His only real weakness was many of his films have plot elements that are a bit lazy. Every time I am disappointed with one of his films it's because of that fact.

Bumping, maybe more people will see the thread

Sorry if I'm rude but I'm right
Pussy,you're a man?!
Look, I'm not judging you - after all, I'm posting here myself, but maybe, just maybe, if you spent less time here and more time watching films, maybe, and I stress, maybe your taste would be of some value. Just a thought, ya know.

Nationality (Optional, if you wouldn't like me to know, that's ok):Indian

Favourite Film Genre/Movement/Director :Sci-fi/Movies that should just entertain me/Spielberg

What drove you to see the film in the first place?
Heard a lot of good things about it on the net.So watched it

The Chase Scene

I found it quite entertaining for such an old film.

Pure entertainment.That's what movies are supposed to be

Great director.Many of his movies are still being remade in India.A movie called "Muran" was made a year back and it was based on "Strangers on a Train".

I hope you found this quite useful.Best of luck.