Inside Llewyn Davis - New Coen Brothers Film

→ in
Tools    

It seemed like time for a new Cohen Brothers movie...Inside Llewyn Davis is out. A fictional also-ran in the early 60's NYC folk scene, Llewyn is a disaster both for himself and for his supporters. Couch surfing his way around Greenwich Village, he loses one friend's cat, gets blamed for the surprise pregnancy of a friend's wayward wife and misses one chance at music success after another.

Reading into who the folk singers were in real life, Llewyn misses two chances to be in Peter, Paul and Mary, passes up on the Clancy Brothers, the Garfunkle to his Simon commits suicide, and eventually he watches a young "Bob" be a hit at the Gaslight. He's not a bad guy but he's completely self-absorbed and clueless, wandering the streets of New York in the dead of winter with no coat, a guitar and a cat. He goes on a road trip with a Dean Moriarty-like character, and, with John Goodman as a moribund jazz fan who hates folk music.

Oscar Issac is great as Davis, as is Carey Mulligan as his pregnant female friend. Justin Timberlake has a small part (he really is excellent in comedy) and SNL alumnus Garrett Hedlund does a good "Johnny 5" (the Moriarty character). As always, there's a lot going on in a Cohen Bros film. This isn't a big laugh film but a rather dark and somewhat dreary comedy that gets its force from just how dysfunctional Davis is...a wandering disaster. In case you wonder who might be the model for Davis, it's worth noting that there was an early 60's album entitled Inside Dave Van Ronk.

Justin Timberlake in a Coen bros film. This should be interesting

I can't wait to see this film.
“Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It's a very mean and nasty place and I don't care how tough you are, it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard ya hit. It's about how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. How much you can take and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done!” ~ Rocky Balboa

Finished here. It's been fun.
I really want to see this film. Looks like another Coen Brothers masterpiece.

Dying to see this movie. About the last awards contender I need to see that I wanted too. The Coen Brothers just speak to me sometimes and I feel like I'd really really dig it. Hasn't been anywhere near me in the theaters thou

101 Favorite Movies (2019)

Can we get a title edit in here? Thanks.
"Don't be so gloomy. After all it's not that awful. Like the fella says, in Italy for 30 years under the Borgias they had warfare, terror, murder, and bloodshed, but they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci, and the Renaissance. In Switzerland they had brotherly love - they had 500 years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

Saw it tonight. It gets inside your head and won't leave.

-Issac's performance is top notch, definitely Oscar nomination worthy.
-Brutally honest film about trying to make it
-Music was great
-There is a scene in the movie that is soul crushing, you will know it when you see it
-Very Coen brothers rhythm to it, as expected
-Movie was a tad bit everywhere, worked sometimes other times not as much
-Let it marinate, it feels a lot better.

I'd give it a 3.5. Not as great as I was expecting but I had sky high hopes. Still great flick thou. Oscar Issac's nailed it.

My review - http://www.movieforums.com/community....php?p=1018551

Yeh it's kind of like The Big Lebowski in that the plot acts more as a vehicle for the character than as the main aspect of the film itself. We see him go off on various detours, like a serious of episodes where he encounters different characters and such, each showing us different (but ultimately the same) thing about his selfish and stubborn character.

Inside Llewyn Davis - my review

Cold, downbeat, but great to look at. Those Coen brothers are at it again, but this sombre story of an early 1960s folk singer desperately looking for a break needs approaching with some caution. The film deliberately drifts along without any kind of key change, and has a sense of sadness and failure that is touching but unpalatable at the same time. The trademark black humour is ever present, and this will no doubt appeal to Coen fans, but the overall experience of Llewyn's uneasiness and quiet desperation makes this a one-time viewing experience only. 8/10

I totally agree with you. When I left the movie theater I was a bit disappointed at first, because, as you said, it's kind of everywhere, plus, the storyline is not very uplifting..But, later I felt it kinda stuck with you. Due to Oscar Isaac's performance mainly but also the atmosphere and pace of the movie. So, definitely, marinating helps!

Saw it tonight. It gets inside your head and won't leave.

-Issac's performance is top notch, definitely Oscar nomination worthy.
-Brutally honest film about trying to make it
-Music was great
-There is a scene in the movie that is soul crushing, you will know it when you see it
-Very Coen brothers rhythm to it, as expected
-Let it marinate, it feels a lot better.

I'd give it a 3.5. Not as great as I was expecting but I had sky high hopes. Still great flick thou. Oscar Issac's nailed it.

I totally agree with you. When I left the movie theater I was a bit disappointed at first, because, as you said, it's kind of everywhere, plus, the storyline is not very uplifting..But, later I felt it kinda stuck with you. Due to Oscar Isaac's performance mainly but also the atmosphere and pace of the movie. So, definitely, marinating helps!
The story isn't uplifting, but I thought that was part of the charm, since Davis is the folk singer you never heard of. He seems to be his own worst enemy, like a lot of Coen characters. I loved, how at the end, you see a young Dylan moving in on the turf of the Village...the end of Llewyn Davis.

I liked this film a lot, mainly because of the look of it. The cinematograpy was amazing. Yet it felt a bit monotonous. That might get in the way of the basic moviegoer. Yet if you sit through this 104 minute film you have seen a very interesting story about a sometimes horrible and sometimes likeable (but mostly horrible) man trying to make it in the folk scene during the 60's played by an amazing Oscar Isaac.