Possession(1981) Revisited

→ in
Tools    

Tokea has listed this movie as a favorite. I watched it this afternoon and without any doubt, it is a classic midnight/cult movie. Filmed both in France and West Berlin during the Cold War era, the film follows the exact same blueprints for a cult moved pioneered by David Lynch. The movie is somewhat slow going and does not build tension or suspense. Instead, there are scenes with confused dialog, self mutilation and a bizarre sex scene. From a technical point of view, it is excellent. Superb makeup,costumes,lighting and negative shadow movements. The acting is excellent and convincing. The movie reminds me of Rosemary´s Baby and Antychryst (self mayhem). This movie ranks in the top ten midnight movies along with El Topo and Eraserhead. Advice? Get drunk and a hard buzz when you watch.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
It's well-crafted, and the photography is flamboyantly expressive, but the lead characters are just too possessed for me to relate. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf? is one of my favorite films, and it's true those characters could seem similarly possessed, but they have loads of witty dialogue and ultimately seem humanly-flawed and not jusi in a cinematic exercise to seem outré. There are some fans here though, and it does belong with Lynch's bizarro work.

Must be doin sumthin right
Obviously it's exaggerated for effect but I'll disagree with Mark because, weird as it gets, I think the metaphor still works and the movie stays both hilarious and relatable. I think I saw an interview with Lars from around the time Antichrist came out where he said he had never seen Possession but I don't believe him

I haven't watched the movie. But by going through the comments, I have collected some idea about it.