2nd Mofo Hall Of Fame Nominations

Tools    

Chappie doesn't like the real world
1. Sherlock Jr. (Buster Keaton, 1924) Nominated by Daniel M

I have only watched this film fairly recently, but I feel that it is a special film that would be truly worth of a place in any film Hall of Fame. Silent cinema at its best, Keaton utilises the medium of film to great affect with a number of fascinating and entertaining cinematic techniques. What Keaton attempts to create lets us see exactly why films exist, and what they can be used to do, the film is hilarious and entertaining thanks to a number of fantastic stunts and tricks used by Keaton, one of my favourite is when he steps inside the playing movie and switches between different landscapes on screen. His use of objects and ability to use the environment/props to create a story is a joy to behold, it is an innovative and important part of cinema history for me, and hopefully others too.

2. Blithe Spirit (1945 David Lean) Nominated by Donnie Darko

I nominate this for the amazing on screen chemistry through the actors, and the way the film examines the paranormal without any scares.

3. On the Waterfront. (1954 Elia Kazan) Nominated by Rauld14

My reasoning is as simple as saying that it has absolute powerhouse performances that we don't always see in today's day and age. He'll, I think the film had fie nominees for acting roles for the oscars. Also, beautifully directing by a very underrated Elia Kazan.

4. The Apartment (1960 Director: Billy Wilder ) Nominated by Seanc

Watched this a few months ago and fell in love with it. Great classic film from one of the all time respected directors. Also has great performances. Fun story with a good comedy-drama mix. I think it would be a very worthy film.

(I'll be doing these in groups of four)

2022 Mofo Fantasy Football Champ
Seen 3 of the 4. Shaping to be very interesting! Glad I didn't go with Some like it Hot since Wilder is represented regardless. Lets see the rest!!

5. Dr Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb. (1964 Stanley Kubrick) Nominated by The Gunslinger

One of the funniest movies ever made, biting satire and often ranked among the best movies ever made.

6. Faces (John Cassavetes, 1968) Nominated by Hitchfan

I nominated Psycho last time with every intention of it winning, but I'm nominating Faces mainly because MoFo needs more Cassavetes in its life. You'll never find a film more true to life than this one, and Cassavetes plumbs the depths of his characters' souls in search of what it truly means to be human. I gain more insight from it on each viewing.

7. Cabaret (1974 Bob Fosse) Nominated by Thursday Next

8. Stalker (1979 Andei Tarkovsky) Nominated by Gauporense

My short text on it:

"Stalker is the culmination of Tarkovsky's career. It was the last movie he made before he got cancer and with his declining health the quality of his films also declined. It's an apocalyptic film and extremely depressing, given that Tarkovsky was very pessimistic about the future of mankind. His later films are even more pessimistic but lacking in the same sense of elegance as this one, Tarkovsky most entertaining and linear film. In fact, it is his only film that can be considered conventional in the sense that the plot is very well defined. Widely regarded as one of his finest films it's one of the ultimate classics of science fiction."

It's available on youtube for free at 480 resolution quality (DVD):

Part 1:

Part 2:

Judging by these four, we are in store for a hell of a round. I am going to be voting for a film from 1960 over my film again.
These are some fantastic movies. Keep an open mind about voting though. I want to have loooottttssss of discussion before anyone makes up their mind.

Was I supposed to send a reason in with my nomination? LOL! Woopsie. Oh well. I nominated it because I love it and that is good enough.
Not everyone did. It's O.K. Just campaign for your movie during these next six months.

9. After Hours (1985 Martin Scorsese) Nominated by Cobpyth

It is in my opinion a surrealistic, urban, atmospheric and darkly comic masterpiece by Martin Scorsese.
I feel that it's underseen, even by Scorsese fans, so I hope at least a few other members of the committee will share my love for it.

10. Dark City (1998 Alex Proyas) Nominated by TheUsualSuspect

A film that inspires you to learn more about science fiction. The film is cold, dark and never lets up for a minute. The mystery behind the story is what draws you in and the set pieces, atmosphere and direction keep you hooked. One of the most underrated sci/fi movies of all time.

11. Memento (2000 Christopher Nolan) Nominated by Teeter_G

12. Gone Baby Gone (2007 Ben Affleck) Nominated by Jiraffejustin

Gone Baby Gone is proof that Ben Affleck is really good at movies. Not always at being in them, but definitely making them. He is also really good at having a brother that can act better than him. Oh yeah, Morgan Freeman is in this movie too. There is also a crazy family. Very harrowing film. Vote for it if you want, if not then you are Al Qaeda.

I've seen all but two, but I'm really excited about seeing those two. (Donnie & Hitch's noms) I love a lot of these movies, so I'm also excited about seeing them again.

I've seen 7/12. A nice group of films. Are we sticking to the idea of watching them in a particular order?

I want people to as much as possible. I know I will be. (Watching in order)

Teeter I forgot to comment on your post about finding the movies. I'm thinking they shouldn't be too hard to find (maybe even try your library), but it might be helpful if people see a movie somewhere they could let everyone know. Like Netflix Instant, YouTube or anywhere else it might be found. Thanks Guap for linking your movie. That was helpful.

I've seen 6 of the 12, some really good stuff here.

Look how kind I am guys, I gave you a 45 minutes movie to watch!

What I haven't seen: Blithe Spirit, Faces, Cabaret, Stalker, After Hours, Dark City and Gone Baby Gone.

The ones in bold I have been really wanting to see anyway. When do we have to watch by and when do we start discussing?