Would you support the idea of a black actor playing James Bond?

Tools    

Apologies if this topic has been done before.

I was reading an old article about the wonderful “Luther” actor Idris Elba being touted to replace Daniel Craig in upcoming James Bond movies when Craig leaves the role.

Admittedly, I at first thought this would be a mistake, and just pure tokenism. James Bond the character is a white man and I don’t get the need to change such a basic physical feature.The more I think about it though, the more I think somebody like Elba would bring something good to the role.

What do you think

In essence it doesn't matter if Bond is black or white, as long as he's cool, good looking and more old school than he is now.
The character evolved into a modern emotional action hero these days with Daniel Craig (who does a fine job at that), while I think he should be more than that. I still enjoy the films, but I wished they went back to the more intimate style of the first Connery films.
I do admit that it is harder for a black actor to play the James Bond I personally would like to come back, but it is possible if he finds the right nuances for the role. I would certainly be skeptical in the beginning, though.

I'm not sure why they would make Bond black, though. I personally don't see why it's necessary.

All good people are asleep and dreaming.
As long as he's British and smooth. Is there an English equivalent to Isaiah Mustafa?

The crucial factors are that he looks physically credible in action scenes and can convey Bond's cool confidence. So, body type and attitude matter, not race. I'd be very interested to see a black Bond.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

We've gone on holiday by mistake
Would be political correctness gone too far. I'm sure it will happen one day. No one will be brave enough to stand up and say no way.

Why is it "political correctness"?
Because when James Bond was created he was done so, as far as I am aware, as a white British male. This is the character and if they changed it it would only be for the sake of having a black actor to show racial diversity and all that.

Well, they already made Moneypenny black in the last film and M was a woman for the last seven movies. James Bond is also described as a chain smoker in the books, while he didn't touch one single cigarette since 1989 (except for one cigar in Die Another Day).

They obviously don't give a damn anymore about the original source material, so they might aswell make Bond himself black. It wouldn't be such a big shock to me.

On the outside looking in.
Would it make sense to remake SHAFT with a Japanese actor? How about a Chinese SHERLOCK HOLMES? It all comes down to the character Ian Fleming created, and that character was white, not black. If you change something as fundamental as a character's skin colour, it's no longer the same character.

Would it make sense to remake SHAFT with a Japanese actor? How about a Chinese SHERLOCK HOLMES? It all comes down to the character Ian Fleming created, and that character was white, not black. If you change something as fundamental as a character's skin colour, it's no longer the same character.
Bond isn't the same character as he used to be, regardless of his skin color.

The blond hair didn't ruin it for me.

Shaft was a racially conscious movie, anyway. Bond is an action figure that has evolved over time.

On the outside looking in.
Bond isn't the same character as he used to be, regardless of his skin color.

Until the producers drop "Ian Fleming's James Bond" from the titles, the character is still based on Fleming's creation.

The most important thing for me is that the actor is British. But Luther? I can't picture him as Bond.

Apologies if this topic has been done before.
Yes, on another message board where you got 4 pages worth of replies...

Until the producers drop "Ian Fleming's James Bond" from the titles, the character is still based on Fleming's creation.
It's just a name. The James Bond of the films and the James Bond of the books are two COMPLETELY different characters.