A.I. Artificial Intelligence: What Are Your Thoughts?

Tools    

A.I. is certainly one of the most talked about films of the 20th century, and that's because it splits opinions. Some, myself included, think it's a film as philosophical as anything by cinema's greatest artists, and some think it's a muddled, confused and, by the end, overly sentimental film.

What do you think?

A.I. is not a 20th century film.

It is one of the most powerful movies Spielberg has made, in fact, it is among my favorites from him and I would rank it together with Schindler's list as his two best movies. Though I haven't watched all of Spielberg's films.

It is a very good movie and it certainly has a lot of interesting philosophical themes. I rate it
(whis is really good).
I quite loved it in a certain way, but somehow it didn't completely satisfy me.

The film is about goals, the regular existential questions and believing in/hoping for something higher and better that is actually an illusion (or not?) to keep us going.
I'm just not sure if I understood the purpose of the last sequence (in the very distant future). Was it a way of supposing that further developing of ourselves and our technology can actually give us a glimpse at 'the perfect'? Was it just Spielberg who wanted to give the audience a more hopeful/positive ending? I still don't know the answer to that question. Maybe if I understood the message of that part better, I would give it an even higher rating.
It's not that I want to understand everything I see in a film completely, but I felt that I understood this last part, without fully getting what it really assumed.

It's still a great piece of work and I consider it as one of Spielberg's very best films.

I think the end is a sort of grim, ghostly echo (which Jude Law's character predicts in the film, when he says, "they made us too smart, too soon, and too many.")

Think about it: humankind’s final gasp belongs to a ****ed-up boy robot with an Oedipus complex who’s in bed with his adopted mother and who finally becomes a real boy at the very moment that he seemingly auto-destructs.

I've also wondered whether David and Monica's love for each other in the end is genuine, programmed, or some combination of the them both?

I love AI and own it. It's a fine spiritual successor to Blade Runner.

Both films explore themes of what it means to be human by using sentient machines. I suppose AI leans more toward emotion than intellect whereas Blade Runner is skewed more toward intellect, but neither is lacking in ideas or feeling.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

On the outside looking in.
I love A.I.! You wouldn't think the styles of Spielberg and Kubrick would mesh to create a cohesive whole, but they do. A complex yet marvelously moving film set in a jaw-droppingly real future, A.I. is an experience not to be missed!

Out of four: ****

On the outside looking in.
I think the end is a sort of grim, ghostly echo (which Jude Law's character predicts in the film, when he says, "they made us too smart, too soon, and too many.")

Favourite line from Gigolo Joe: "I am. I was." That says it all, really.

Favourite line from Gigolo Joe: "I am. I was." That says it all, really.

I totally agree. I don't much care for the Gigolo Joe character, but that lines is by far the most thought provoking in the film. And then he gets reeled in like a fish (another striking image).

I thought A.I had it's moments, it was able to create Kubrick like angles and story well. However the end was just plain silly and as you said overaly sentimental. So I give it 3/5 since it brought some intersting ideas to the table (EX: A Robot who can feel emotions) but was not executed well.

It's a forgettable film. Not a single specific scene is worth it.

I thought it was one of the worst films I'd ever seen.

It's too bad Kubrick didn't get the opportunity to finish it, tragic really. Can't stop wondering what it could have been. Overall I wasn't that impressed, had some good bits, a good idea that could have been a great movie. I saw it in the theater though and haven't seen it since, might be worth checking out again.

When I first saw A.I., I remember not feeling overly impressed, yet nearly ten years onward, I can more or less picture every scene from that movie as if I saw it yesterday. Guess it did make an impression, but I fail to pinpoint what's impressive about it.
In my opinion, A.I. is very rich thematically and I like how it creates a dystopian feel that so closely resembles our own society...
Also, I have to give A.I. credit for using one of my favorite poems:
"Come away oh human child
To the waters and the wild
With a faery hand in hand
For the world's more full of weeping
Than ye can understand."
I think time and hindsight is needed to fully appreciate this movie...ask me in another ten years

And when I'm all alone I feel I don't wanna hide
A tragic, often misunderstood masterwork. A bit too preachy at times, but wonderfully told and directed.