Criterion sale

Tools    

"Money won is twice as sweet as money earned."

is the sale still on? about how much for a criterion?
Goes through the end of July. Criterions are usually $30-40 each, so now it's more like $15-20.

By looking at the films I like and have seen, what do you recommend I get? I'm throwing in the towel and I'm going tomorrow to look.

Well, I went and after deliberating I cut it down to 8 possible buys:

-Night of the Hunter
-The Thin Red Line
-Short Cuts
-12 Angry Men
-Charade
-Ace in the Hole
-The Gold Rush
-The Lady Vanishes

any predictions what I went with?

Exterminate all rational thought.
Night of the Hunter - yes!
The Thin Red Line - F yes! One of my all time favorites.
Short Cuts - never seen it
12 Angry Men - yes. A classic
Charade - yes! Watched it last week, a lot of fun. Cary Grant is great in it.
Ace in the Hole - never seen it
The Gold Rush - Chaplin, but of course!
The Lady Vanishes - Definitely, early Hitchcock, and very funny!

All good choices, enjoy!

FWIW - The Thin Red Line is my favorite Criterion edition by far. The blu-ray transfer is phenomenal.

I forgot to put that I only got two, I went with The Thin Red Line and Charade. Only wish I could have afforded them all. Haven't seen either that I've bought yet.

Picked up On the Waterfront. Watched half of it. Will watch the rest later. I enjoyed what I saw.

Picked up On the Waterfront. Watched half of it. Will watch the rest later. I enjoyed what I saw.

Absolute gem of a movie. Expect to see it on your MOFO Top 25 of the 50s list

Absolute gem of a movie. Expect to see it on your MOFO Top 25 of the 50s list
^ this, and the Criterion blu-ray is the definitive edition! Enjoy!

And the sale has been extended through August 5th!
Good to hear! longer to have a good think on what to get next.

For those in Britain like me, Amazon.com have some of the Criterion films up for the same price now, $19.99. It should be cheaper than Barnes and Noble because I believe Amazon have cheaper shipping prices(only about £2 difference but it helps), oh and faster delivery from my experience.

So worth checking out.

For the same price but cheaper with lower postage, I just ordered this from Amazon:

6 today:

The Devil's Backbone
The Ice Storm
In the Realm of the Senses
The Blob
Marketa Lazarova
and Safety Last!

A good haul today!

Got this yesterday.

Had to get at least one more before the sale was over. I was really hoping My Own Private Idaho was cheap enough, because I really want to rewatch it, and all of the other goodies, but it was the same amount as a standard Criterion blu ray (because of the hefty packaging,) and you can buy it used for a significantly cheaper amount online. Oh well!

Criterion is a lot cheaper in the US than in Canada. Here each Blu Ray are more than 30$. I prefer buying 3 movies than 1 for that price.