Miller's Crossing

→ in
Tools    

A ripoff of Hammett's "The Glass Key", "Miller's Crossing" may well be the worst picture ever made.
A completely ludicrous script, terrible performances and a director who couldn't make up his mind if this was a melodrama or a comedy all combine to make this movie impossible to take seriously.

Unregistered User
A ripoff of Hammett's "The Glass Key", "Miller's Crossing" may well be the worst picture ever made.
A completely ludicrous script, terrible performances and a director who couldn't make up his mind if this was a melodrama or a comedy all combine to make this movie impossible to take seriously.

I'm going to take my time out to reply to the first post actually, because Miller's Crossing is definitely one of the greatest films ever made and a beautiful piece of film making.

First of all, yes it is inspired by "The Glass Key" but it's supposed to be different in many ways from what I hear, and it's not a negative anyway, do you also hate Yojimbo and Fistful of Dollars? The idea of one man playing two factions off against each other is a fairly simple and well used one anyway.

Ludicrous script? This is one of the most moronic comments I have ever heard, sorry, I don't normally come across as this annoyed but I really don't understand this comment, this is, no arguments made, one of the most amazing and well written scripts in the history of film. There is no line of dialogue that is not wonderful and important to the film, I could just quote the many great lines but an easier example of the script's brilliance is in the first scene shared with Gabriel Byrne and Steve Buscemi, that at the time doesn't seem to be of much significance but each line is so important to what later is to unfold in the film.

Terrible performances? That also has to be a joke, Gabriel Byrne is fantastic, and John Turturro for me gives one of the best supporting performances of all time, then you have little roles that are fantastic like Albert Finney and Steve Buscemi.

A director? Two directors.

Couldn't decide between a melodrama or comedy? Please. This is clearly a crime drama, it's a ganster film with a beautiful touch added from the Coens, as Richard Corliss describes it: "noir with a touch so light, the film seems to float on the breeze like the Frisbee of a fedora sailing through the forest."

At absolutely no point does the film feel like a comedy, not at all, seriously there is not one scene that makes me think the directors are trying to make this a comedy. Yes some of the scenes/dialogue or funny, but that's what happens with natural and charming conversation, especially when you have the smooth and witty character of Tom Reagan.

Say you're saying Jon Polito's performance was not totally over-the-top bordering on the absurd?
That the dialog was not incredibly stilted and inane?
You are entitled to your opinion, of course but Miller's Crossing is absolute dreck.
"one of the greatest films ever made" is the silliest statement I've ever heard.

Say you're saying Jon Polito's performance was not totally over-the-top bordering on the absurd?
You are entitled to your opinion, of course but Miller's Crossing is absolute dreck.
"one of the greatest films ever made" is the silliest statement I've ever heard.
Jon Polito's performance was also great, his character is supposed to be eccentric, not over the top at all.

Stilted and inane? What do you class as good dialogue? I am sure the majority will agree with me that this is one of the best written films ever.

Here's an extract from Jim Emerson's article on the film:

The gangsters speak in a delicious fantasy tough-guy patois ("What's the rumpus?") that you'd just love to wrap your tongue around. But the clever gangster-movie trappings don't trivialize or obscure the movie's deeper, melancholy (even tragic) resonances -- which are reflected in the wintry/autumnal tones of its color scheme: forest green, overcast grey, black-and-blue, burnished mahogany.
Read the whole article here: http://www.cinepad.com/reviews/millersx.htm

And yes it is 100% one of the greatest films ever made, if that's the silliest statement you've ever heard then I don't know why I bother wasting my time talking to you

If you think "What's the rumpus?" is good, realistic dialog, the I don't know why I should bother wasting my time talking to you.
I think "Miller's Crossing" is unadulterated crap, you think it's the greatest film ever - clearly there is no common ground here.

In two says we have threads started talking about how terrible Raging Bull and Millers Crossing are. I dont even know this website anymore.

I think "Miller's Crossing" is unadulterated crap.
Miller's Crossing is absolute dreck.

Bright light. Bright light. Uh oh.
I acted crazy when I used to play in my friend's rumpus room 50 years ago. That's what they called the outside playroom we called a den. I'd never heard the word "rumpus" before, at least until I read Where the Wtld Things Are. I thought that line was clever. Film noir always has smart'alecky dialogue, and I thought the film was jam-packed with it. Jon Polito's fixation with ethics is something out of Shakespeare. That's the thing about the movie - it's a legit noir with all kinds of cinematic and literary references. Besides presenting a unique world and characters, it's supremely well-crafted and lots of fun for many film buffs and geezers.

If you think "What's the rumpus?" is good, realistic dialog, the I don't know why I should bother wasting my time talking to you.
I think "Miller's Crossing" is unadulterated crap, you think it's the greatest film ever - clearly there is no common ground here.
I think it's good, yes, realistic? When watching a film what is realistic? Realistic for a gangster film starring an Irish gangster, yes, 100%, it's delightful. The fantastic think about the film is that the Coen Brothers put their own unique spin on a genre that has many famous films in it already, it's unique but has a fantastic feel.

Next you'll be telling me the dialog in Pulp Fiction is poor and unrealistic. And I really don't understand how someone could find it 'unadulterated crap' to the extent you do, even if you didn't enjoy it, surely you can enjoy the craftsmanship and skill behind it, it's a beautiful film in more ways than one and I don't know how you at least don't like at least one of the many fantastic elements that make up the wonderful picture.

And no, I don't think it's the greatest film ever, but I think it's one of them. Jim Emerson, arguably one of the best critics on the net ranks it his 12th best of all time, I'll paste in some more from his review that basically sums up everything great about the film.

When I wrote the review below in 1990 (which I've reworked a bit here), I said that the Coen brothers' third feature, Miller's Crossing, might be the first great film of the new decade. Eight years later, I don't think it even has any competition as the greatest film of the 90s so far. Movies this rich and complex (in theme, story, visuals, performances), that reveal their insights into the human heart with such exquisite nuance and timing -- well, they just don't come along all that often. First off, the picture is so gorgeous you want to climb into it -- but it's not superfluous beauty; it sets a tone, a mood, that haunts you long before you quite know why. The Coens always create a world with each new film, but for this one they practically came up with a new language, too -- a kind of deliciously snappy hardboiled gangster slang (worthy of Billy Wilder) that you instantly understand and want to adopt, even though it's never existed outside of this movie. One more thing: Every scene in Miller's Crossing is essential so that all the pieces may fall into place in the last shot. But although you might think that the film's crucial moment is the one in the ads -- and the one you see here, the climactic execution at the crossing in the woods -- there's actually a very brief earlier scene (the only appearance of Steve Buscemi as a weasley fellow named Mink, excerpted at right) that off-handedly sets up the entire picture. It seems like a throwaway, a chance encounter as Tom is on his way to meet someone else, but so much information is packed into this brief exchange that the mind boggles in retrospect. In depth of feeling, plotting, character, and texture, Miller's Crossing is the Coens' masterpiece, a movie people will still be watching and loving and studying decades from now.
The common ground is what everyone else thinks about the film, and the majority would agree with me or at least appreciate part of the film. And my statement about it being one of the greatest is hardly that silly, two of the highest posting members here also happen to hold it in high regard, Honeykid has is in his top 100 and Mark gives it four stars which would place it around his top 300 (and he's seen almost every film worth seeing), Donniedarko and Linespalsy also give it four stars and they're strict when it comes to rating films from what I have seen.

I am okay when people criticise films, but to attack it and completely disregard everything good about the film and label it 'unadulterated crap' and the 'worst picture ever made' deserves a response like this one. You've just basically criticised it from all angles, direction, acting, plot, dialogue, without substance.

Please don't review movies anymore. You are perceptually incompetent.
#31 on SC's Top 100 Mofos list!!

The common ground is what everyone else thinks about the film, and the majority would agree with me or at least appreciate part of the film.
I don't care what other people think of the film. If everyone in the world were to tell me MC was a great film, I would still think it was crap.
It's called thinking for yourself.

Please don't review movies anymore. You are perceptually incompetent.
Great, when you don't have a valid point, go for the ad hominem attack.

I think for myself, but when others share the same opinion it's normally a good sign of a film's overall quality. Your attacks on the film don't really have much basis though and I honestly can't comprehend your issues with it

I think for myself, but when others share the same opinion it's normally a good sign of a film's overall quality. Your attacks on the film don't really have much basis though and I honestly can't comprehend your issues with it
I don't have "issues" with it.
I just think it's a terrible movie with no saving graces.
Why you should take that so personally perplexes me.

You start a thread about this and now you're trying to block all discussion on the film by saying stupid **** such as "it's my opinion" or "there's no common ground". You start a thread don't try stopping a discussion, what did you want to happen for everyone just to nod their heads and say ya we agree, this brilliant film is crap.

Well here you go, no need to looks at anything else:

Let the night air cool you off
Miller's Crossing is good for all the reasons everybody else said. What's the rumpus? is funny to me. This movie is a comedy. I don't see much realism in comedies anywhere.

You start a thread about this and now you're trying to block all discussion on the film by saying stupid **** such as "it's my opinion" or "there's no common ground". You start a thread don't try stopping a discussion, what did you want to happen for everyone just to nod their heads and say ya we agree, this brilliant film is crap.

Well here you go, no need to looks at anything else:
I'm not trying to stifle discussion at all and your saying I did is just BS.